Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am
I don't think I've seen a thread like this in here yet. I know we have The Welcome Thread -- An ATG Survival Guide stickied, but I get the feeling the newcomers are merely browsing it.

I am starting a thread with tips for Gaia newcomers who wish to avoid becoming a dreaded n00b. Feel free to add your advice or questions here. Discuss n00bish behavior you'd like to see addressed. I'll keep tabs on this thread and answer newcomer questions and update the Tips section as needed.

What is a n00b? The term n00b is used as an Internet pejorative for a user who fails to learn from experience. Other versions of n00b include; nub, nab, nublet, n00blet, nuub, gnub, and btard. Just because you are a newcomer, or newb, does not make you a n00b by default.

Tips on Avoiding N00b Behavior:

~ Read The Welcome Thread -- An ATG Survival Guide. Almost every Gaian guild has it's own version of this. It is good to know the rules of your guild. Read the ATG Survival Guide, and you will know all the guild specific rules you'll need to co-exist peacefully here. Read the announcement/stickied threads.

~ Try to be literate. This means spelling out words and using decent grammar. We aren't all Literature majors, and no one is perfect, but using your best spelling and grammar will assure clearer communication and lessen confusion. Not everyone reads L33T or understands texting shorthand.

~ To clear the confusion behind the definitions of flaming and fishing on the Internet, these terms refer to the practice of picking fights (fishing) online by being rude, coarse, derogatory, and/or slanderous (flaming). That being said, these practices are pretty much universally frowned upon in any guild. The best advice is to avoid flaming and fishing.

~ If you are unsure if something you want to post is inappropriate, ask a Moderator of the guild. They are generally a fairly helpful bunch.

~ Remember, we were all newcomers at one time. Everyone had to learn the ways of the guild. It isn't the end of the world if one of your posts gets locked. Just learn from the mistake and move on. Do not send nasty PMs to anyone who said the thread was inappropriate. It will not help your case at all. Threads are locked if they don't follow guild rules. It is the way of all forums.

~ Familiarize yourself with the subforums of the guild. If you start a thread in the wrong place, it may get moved to a subforum. To avoid possible misplacement of a thread, it is best to post it in the appropriate forum or subforum. This guild has three (3) subforums in which members can post; RP/Game, Creative Crossroads, and, In-Depth Discussion. Familiarize yourself with them.

~ Just because you saw poor behavior in the General Discussion forums of Gaia does not mean poor behavior will be tolerated in guilds. Poor behavior will not be tolerated in many guilds. Moderators of guilds are more likely to crack down on poor behavior.

~ Guilds do not like outside advertising, begging, or self-promotion. Commercials are annoying enough on TV, at movies, and as flashing banners on our browsers. Do not add to the constant headache that is advertising.

~ There is no need to have bunches of repeat threads on the same topic matter. If you don't see the same themed thread on the first 3 pages, it is usually safe to start a discussion thread.

Feel free to comment, add, and so on...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:03 pm
User Image

Ok just a few suggestions:

Add some colour, make it flashy and attention grabbing because I know a lot of n00bs won't read that because it's just not enough to grab their 2 second attention span.

Also state in there that if they don't want to be treated like they're 5 years old, don't post like it. Meaning use English as best as they can. If they want to add more to what they said use the damn edit button. If they're making a post that claims anything, have proof to back that up or they'll be shredded to pieces or to say they're stating an opinion and not fact. This will give them some slack.

Also we should tell them who our guild assholes are, such as GTR, Sav and I think I'm probably on that list too, and that these people will be the first to rip them a new a*****e should the opportunity arise.

If I come up with more suggestions I'll post. 3nodding
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm
Well, I didn't want to scare off the newcomers by mentioning Sav and GTR so soon...but I guess you let that feline out of the bag. mrgreen

I'll work on the phrasing of your other suggestions and add them!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 pm
User Image

I figured it would be better to warn them that they exist and don't use restraint people skills kindness.

Hopefully I was helpful though!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 pm
I think you were. People like Sav and GTR have also been around for a while. We expect such from them because it is part of who they are. Newbs should act that way until they've managed to earn some respect within the guild and allowed people to get to know them first.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:38 pm
User Image

True, you should add that.

You don't get to be an a**, but they do so don't try it.... they'll win. rofl
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:45 pm
My only suggestions are formatting ones -- some colour or boldfacing the main point of each point (... duhhhh brain no worky today, I'm sure there was a better way to say that but I can't find it) would make it not quite so tl;dr.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:09 am
I must be the only person who doesn't dislike sav or feel he is an arse xP.
I mean he is no more argumentative then I am and he shuts up fairly fast should you tell him to in an intelligent way avoiding facts.
GTR is slightly... complicated xD  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 am
Shram

GTR is slightly... complicated xD

... you mean insane? mrgreen

jk.. i luvs joo all... even the asses... they give me a good laugh from time to time...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:54 pm
TL;DR.

Wuz et imp0rt4nt?..

Kukuku. I'm just jesting.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm
User Image

*Wacks Jaft with a baseball bat*

I just need to make sure this works for when I need it! 3nodding

I like Sav, he seems to be intelligent, witty, and knows when to shut up. But I mean hell, Even I think GTR is an a*****e!

Agent, GTR's just nucking futs! (See what I did there wink )
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:20 pm
...If we're mentioning the guild asses, we should probably throw Omnileech in the mix... though I must admit much amusement watching he and GTR "discussing" a subject. Any subject. smile

And welcome back, Jafty! Where've you been hiding?  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 pm
My thread brought Jaft out of hiding?! Uh oh...

Anyway, on topic again, I'm trying to not scare the newcomers too early. Besides, it's more fun to watch them discover the hotter headed guildies on their own!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:43 pm
I've been hiding on campus and stuff. ;D

But I always keep an eye out here. Not -my- eye, I keep spares in a jar. o3o

You think the newcomers will actually read this thread?

I didn't even know it was for educating newbies to the guild.

And noob is derogatory. D8<  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:47 pm
Hence the title: how NOT to be a n00b! mrgreen  
Community Lounge