Reply Community Lounge
White Wolf RPG

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 am
For a while now I have been playing in games run under the White Wolf Werewolf: The Apocalypse system. I am obsessed with the Garou Glyphs that were published in the Silver Record source book. To the point I started making some of my own to match things our Game Master needed.

Recently I joined a LARP based off the Werewolf: The Apocalypse under the One World by Night stroytellers and so I expanded my dictionary more. That for ease I made it into a website, I know there are a couple people here that have done Vampire: The Masquerade or other White Wolf games. So I figured I would share.

Garou Glyph Dictionary

Discussion:
White Wolf Second Gen vs Third Gen games
Glyphs that you think should have been included
Quality of the site
Spelling Errors
D10 Systems

Ladi Quiz - heart - Ladi Johari - heart - Ladi Nohari

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 am
That book wouldn't fit on my shelf. >.>  

124-C

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 am
XD I know if it was a real book it would be about two feet long published like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 pm
Odd, a lot of those are reflective of concepts that White Wolf used in Exalted: The Lunars (basically werepeople). "Moot" means meeting, right? And "Silver Pact" is the code lunars follow, or something like that. I doubt they use the same glyphs though, the ones here seem to incorperate a lot of claw marks, and Lunars can be were-creatures of any animal. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a player who actually wanted to play a wolf-Lunar...  

WiskersThCatfish

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 pm
Garou or Werewolves are but one type of Changing Breed. Moots are as you said meetings where they get together. And in this it is not the Silver Pact it is the Litany is the code that the Garou follow. But yes I imagine they have a lot in common as they were published by the same company. However if you look at or read any of the new Werewolf: The Forsaken you will see they scraped everything they had, even terms and basic concepts. I believe it was because the person mostly responsible for all the White Wolf werewolf related lore before left the company and took their rights with them. So rather than pay them another dime in royalties they started over; which made for a really crappy game compered to Apocalypse.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm
Heh, I don't actually understand why nobody likes "Forsaken" it's not that bad a game. I mean all games, even White Wolf games are fixable. I didn't like the setting much in Forsaken; I really dislike the dystopian overtone, and the leather-clad sex, and the gritty street mentality of the World of Darkness, so naturally, I use the rules set, but change the setting to something more adventurey. The one and only game of Werewolf I ever GMed was set during the civil-war in the deep south.

One thing I don't like about most of the WoD and it's predecessors is the fact that the games tend to be more location-centric. I suppose that I'm just too tuned in to the specific nature of D&D, where you go new places and do new things, therein building experience; White Wolf tends to make you bring the adventure to your players, which just seems impractical on a majority of levels.

I knew a little about the different werecreatures, I spotted "Bunyip" on that list, which looks kind of foreign. Exalted Lunars though don't have types or kinds; they have a totem animal which is their primary changeling form, and then can take the form of anything else that they have hunted down, and devoured the heart of, which gives them a great deal of power; they can use that power to kill, and then disguise themselves as a person in power, for instance, or become a gargantuan, fire-breathing dinosaur and wipe out an army of mortals.  

WiskersThCatfish

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 pm
Some of my biggest problems with Forsaken: In Apocalypse Garou and other Fera (or Were creatures) fight for a reason. Their are the three entities Wyld, Weaver and Wyrm. The Wyld is the work of the Goddess Gaia who made all things in nature. The Weaver are all things man made, mostly represented by technologies. Than the Wyrm was suppose to break things down and return them to their base forms so that things didn't grow out of control. However the Wyrm went crazy and started trying to make his own things creating great evils like Banes and Famori (men stuffed with Banes).

In Forsaken, which is after the Apocalypse came...Gaia, Weaver and the Wyrm....aren't even brought up at all! Not even an explaination on why they suddenly don't exist anymore. The Garou no longer even fight to do anything important. Originally they fought to keep Gaia alive and return the planet to some balance and to destroy the Wyrm. Now they fight because they exist and that's all.

Apocalypse, the Garou had 13 living tribes as well as the Coatan, Bunyip and White Howlers which all died out or became the Black Spiral Dancers because they fell to the corruption of the Wyrm. In Forsaken they boil it down to 5 new tribes with not even mentioning there were tribes before this. Apocalypse most Garou found their tribe through pure breed and birth rights. Suddenly in Forsaken you get picked by one of the five tribes by your political and moral values.

Third of all, they ditched all the terminology - in and out of game stuff.

Forsaken has no right to even bear the name Werewolf as far as I am concerned. It is like some b*****d prom night dumpster baby that was pulled out by a homeless bum and dressed in fancy clothing and called royalty.

I like WoD because it is a bit location oriented. With a good GM they can really twist your brain and rethink places you may walk everyday. However our GM ran a modern campaign not a Wild West one, he also choose to do so in our state but not an area that any of us were familiar with in real life so he could really bend and warp and create thing and places for us. It kept enough of a life like feel to be creepy, but it was never so particular that it lost the fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:46 pm
I can't say that I know much about any of the differences between the older edition and WoD, but I think one of the major reasons they changed things up was to make everything slicker, and easier to put in terms with their other games. Mages, vampire, changlings, werewolves, and the plethora of other supernatural beings they had all have sort of disjointed worlds that layer and contradict one another.

Scrapping, and rewriting may have made fans of the games bitter, but it also allowed for them to create a more comprehensive world where everything has it's place, and still fits in with everything else not unlike a puzzle piece. Suddenly the kami-like spirit-world from the Werewolf game overlapped and met on levels with some of the tower-paths that Mages see in their dreams when they awaken.

Also, all of this nonsense is generally why I stay away from White Wolf games, because many people view their lore as completely inflexible, and are unwilling to change or drop parts to make the game more tolerable. After all, it is only a game, a medium of entertainment. If you only played D&D out of the players handbook you'd never actually get anywhere...

In Forsaken, I like the everything-has-a-spirit system, and I liked the totemic, shamanic, Native American feel to the Werewolves communing with a gas pump, or a grove or trees, or the ground they stand on. That's the major concept that I wanted to use from the game, most of the rest didn't matter, so I just dropped it; tribe and all that I kept, but only because it was important to the gameplay. But honestly it's still just a game.  

WiskersThCatfish

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 am
I know the rewrite had some to do with balancing game machines which I can respect. However a lot of the spiritual stuff already matched up with Demon, Mage, Changeling...now the game is almost devoid of that shaman feel that it had before.
*sighs*

My friends and I continue to play Apocalypse and choice to ignore that Forsaken even exists for now. As does the LARP community as a whole. I guess we are all just sticks in the mud who feel that Werewolf was better the way it was.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:11 pm
I concur. My pet game has always been Mage: The Ascension, which was also pretty terribly mangled in the new editions. The only game that was improved, was Vampire, which I always thought was pretty terrible originally. Mage though, was dumbed down to the point that it's almost unrecognizable, and all of the ART of the game was removed. It was made more like vampire, which is the same thing that happened to Werewolf in the rewrites. That being said, my friends and I just continue to play Mage: the Ascension, though I do have interest in a Vampire: The Requiem or Changeling: The Lost, as I've heard good things about both, and I've actually read the VtR books and am very intrigued.  

Milk and Holy Water

WiskersThCatfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:00 am
The one WW RPG I play on any regular basis is Exalted. My friends just don't like the grit and angst that comes with the setting of most of their other games. Although one of my friends is really into the Dark Ages series, which makes since because he's a history major; sometimes I think he only GMs them as a means to show off his knowledge of old customs, languages, and architecture, but even so it's fun to be the rambunctious werewolf in a party of no-nonsense vampires trying to survive the dark ages.

Another friend recently picked up Scion, which is apparently like the current culmination of the White Wolf rules set. It's got stuff from WoD, and Exalted mixed to make a more efficient d10 system. I like that one cause it's creative, a lot of the powers and artifacts are left up to the player and GM to decide. It doesn't just give you everything ever, and expect everyone at the table to read the entire book in order to be into the game.

If we're talking about our favorite obscure games, Deadlands has to be mine. It's exciting, it's a classic, and it incorporates just about all of my favorite things. My groups just never want to play it... it's either D&D or it's a waste of time.

Good to see you around, Milk.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:39 am
I never played Changeling: The Dreaming. But I do have Changeling: The Lost and I have to say I really do like how easy that one is to play. But I also like how easy it is to screw with your players heads in Changeling.

For a while both Lord Sorcerer and I were trying to run a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game here on Gaia in our own guild. However all of the players we found who said they would dedicate a couple hours every week at the agreed on time never showed up for various reasons. So sadly the game never got off the ground.

Gods, Milk & Jimmy I wished you two lived closer to Mass. I would totally be pulling you two over my house for some old fashion Werewolf smash and bash. Break a few Vampire skulls in. Plus than Jimmy you could see the way Lord runs WoD, it isn't all teenage goth angst-ie. XD He is really good with the spiritual nature of the game plus he is really good at taking the real world and twisting it around your brain a couple of times.

LadiSilverfox

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces