Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Ohio Guild!!

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who live in Ohio, or visit! 

Tags: Ohio, Convention, Columbus, Cleveland, Midwest 

Reply Welcome To The Ohio Guild!
That's right. Ohio is so bad-a** we defy the laws of physics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Viscount
Crew

Wily Leaf

16,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 pm
I was having a geologic discussion with an individual in PMs the other day(don't ask), and I mentioned that Ohio's Grand River, located nearby myself in Mentor, OH, is the only known river(I think) that actually flows upstream.

I know why, but I was wondering if anybody else knew how it came to be that the Grand River came to flow this way.

On another note, the Chagrin River valley is bloody awesome. twisted Anyone ever been?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:19 pm
Viscount
I was having a geologic discussion with an individual in PMs the other day(don't ask), and I mentioned that Ohio's Grand River, located nearby myself in Mentor, OH, is the only known river(I think) that actually flows upstream.

I know why, but I was wondering if anybody else knew how it came to be that the Grand River came to flow this way.

On another note, the Chagrin River valley is bloody awesome. twisted Anyone ever been?
I believe the Nile River does as well, I will have to check though.

Oh, I have never been there. Well, not that I can remember.  

kerushi_rii

Opinionated Member

Viscount
Crew

Wily Leaf

16,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:14 pm
That's right, it does. Thus the confusion of "north" and "south" Egypt. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:44 pm
You're a fool. The flowing of rivers has to do with the largest nearest body of massive water. It's like the Great Lakes flow from Superior to the last one. So it really has nothing to do with going north or south. It's the nearest exit that waters looking for. And you know why? BECAUSE THE EARTH IS A BALL!  

Brainwash
Vice Captain

Viscount
Crew

Wily Leaf

16,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:51 am
I disagree. Rivers, predominately, flow either south, east, or west. Know why? Gravity. Because the Earth is a ball, as you said, water, like on a rubber ball, flows southwards through what crevices it can. However, in special circumstances, a river rarely flows north; i.e. Grand River, Nile River.

The way water manages to pool into "the largest body" is BECAUSE of that flow. The water forms a rip-tide, chewing away at the shores of the crevice inwhich it streams, called erosion, until it gets to an area where it can even out; hence, the ocean, which is so large that the body tends to be relatively still aside from tides caused by the gravitational friction between the Earth and the moon.

And there is no need for derogatory comments. You wouldn't want to instigate a flame war, would you?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:46 pm
Viscount
I disagree. Rivers, predominately, flow either south, east, or west. Know why? Gravity. Because the Earth is a ball, as you said, water, like on a rubber ball, flows southwards through what crevices it can. However, in special circumstances, a river rarely flows north; i.e. Grand River, Nile River.

The way water manages to pool into "the largest body" is BECAUSE of that flow. The water forms a rip-tide, chewing away at the shores of the crevice inwhich it streams, called erosion, until it gets to an area where it can even out; hence, the ocean, which is so large that the body tends to be relatively still aside from tides caused by the gravitational friction between the Earth and the moon.

And there is no need for derogatory comments. You wouldn't want to instigate a flame war, would you?

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/893855974.Es.r.html
http://www.geocities.com/loisnotlane/rivers.html

I win. ^-^  

Brainwash
Vice Captain

Viscount
Crew

Wily Leaf

16,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:02 pm
There is a point of the Grand River that was dug out by factory companies in order to direct it away from real estate. Around that area, approaching where it turns due north and into Lake Erie, the river actually flows up according to some topographic maps I've just studied. Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't particularly care, but if this is important enough to mean this much to you(for whatever reason), I'll be happy to look into it more in-depth.

I had something to say here, but I decided I was too amused to say it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:13 pm
um... also
oh crude i for got what yr it was
but there was a HUGE earthquake and the mississippi flowed backwards for a while...
so maybe u'r ohio river there was affected by the or an earthquake?  

BlueCowGirl

Questionable Millionaire

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

felinoel

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:26 am
BlueCowGirl
um... also
oh crude i for got what yr it was
but there was a HUGE earthquake and the mississippi flowed backwards for a while...
so maybe u'r ohio river there was affected by the or an earthquake?
thats possible  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:00 am
Once more I re-iterate. Rivers flow north, south, east, and west all the time. They are looking for the closest outlet to the ocean. North, south, east, and west are man made things. The only true gravity is us being pulled towards the earth, that is it.  

Brainwash
Vice Captain

felinoel

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:37 pm
Brainwash
Once more I re-iterate. Rivers flow north, south, east, and west all the time. They are looking for the closest outlet to the ocean. North, south, east, and west are man made things. The only true gravity is us being pulled towards the earth, that is it.
man didnt make north, south, east, and west, they merely labled it  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:02 pm
felinoel
Brainwash

In nature there is no north, south, east, or west. Therefore its MAN MADE!  

Klepto Nyaro

felinoel

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 pm
Klepto Nyaro
felinoel
Brainwash

In nature there is no north, south, east, or west. Therefore its MAN MADE!
but in nature there is for the sun sets in one place and rises in another, the north star always points in one direction, and the whole moss growing on a tree thing.... north, south, east, and west ARE in nature, its just not called the same thing BY nature  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:48 pm
felinoel

but in nature there is for the sun sets in one place and rises in another, the north star always points in one direction, and the whole moss growing on a tree thing.... north, south, east, and west ARE in nature, its just not called the same thing BY nature

Sun sets in one place and rises in another is due to the rotation of the earth. We labeled it west and east.
The north star doesnt even exist in half the earth. And parts of the year its in different places because of our position around the sun. Therefore its not in the same place.
And moss doesn't only grow on the north side of a tree, that's a myth.

I win!  

Brainwash
Vice Captain

Welcome To The Ohio Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas