Reply Community Lounge
On the nature of crime, defense and cities/countries

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:43 am
This is a bit of a continuation of a discussion in another thread. It wwas stated that the US may as well go back to the "old west" style of handing things, basically with an armed citizenry and an efficient police force and organized on a very small scale(local levels). I agree, but this brings up a question(asked by another person).

What about if a group of criminals "founded and ran their own city"?

My answer to that is "that sounds like Chicago or DC", but in all seriousness it's just the same sort of risk one would apply in any city/country. When a leading body becomes a body of criminals, what is to be done?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:58 am
User Image
A society is a group of people who come together because they agree on certian aspects of life.

I see no reason why a group of "criminals" couldn't create a society.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV2.0

lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:19 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
A society is a group of people who come together because they agree on certian aspects of life.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

Depends on how you define criminal and society.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:49 pm
God, why are my Philosophy classes showing up in the real world...? This isn't the first I've heard of this.

Here I get to roll out Hobbes and his definitions of society.

Personally speaking, I'd think that a society founded by "criminals" would perhaps be incredibly law-abiding, since the "head-criminal" in charge of the society would be well aware of what the others are capable of, and be able to respond quickly if anything happened. And most criminal types would be reluctant to steal from a society in which anyone who broke its rules would be pretty much cast out. The whole "honor amongst thieves" argument, I guess. Er, excluding the current societal norm, but that's a different story, and I think that that mostly stems from psychological issues, and not philosophical ones.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:35 pm
Erverain
God, why are my Philosophy classes showing up in the real world...? This isn't the first I've heard of this.

Here I get to roll out Hobbes and his definitions of society.

Personally speaking, I'd think that a society founded by "criminals" would perhaps be incredibly law-abiding, since the "head-criminal" in charge of the society would be well aware of what the others are capable of, and be able to respond quickly if anything happened. And most criminal types would be reluctant to steal from a society in which anyone who broke its rules would be pretty much cast out. The whole "honor amongst thieves" argument, I guess. Er, excluding the current societal norm, but that's a different story, and I think that that mostly stems from psychological issues, and not philosophical ones.

There's a book you should read, regarding criminal organizations. Donnie Brasco, it's written by an FBI agent who went deep undercover into the Mafia for a long time. The title of the book comes from the alias he used during the operation. Basically, there is no "honor amongst theives" and never has been. Everyone scams everyone, and if they're caught they usually wind up dead, but they still do it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:43 pm
That's why I said "excluding the current societal norm." I never said that it wouldn't happen.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
I know. I was compelled to add on to that.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0

I think this is impossible.

A criminal is one who subsists by ripping off "innocents". They blend into the population, and secretly take what the need. A society has a foundation of laws, in order to be a criminal, one would have to live beneath them. This is assuming that the laws are there to begin with.

So that way, a whole town's worth of criminals would just end up stealing and pillaging one another to the point where it wouldn't be much of a community any more... a few people would own everything, and the rest would be dead or ran off.

If you're talking about a community of criminals, as in a roaming group who steal, I think we've already seen a lot of that in history. Vandals, Goths, Huns, and barbarians of all shapes and colors.

That wasn't just aimed at GTR, his post was just held the closest thing I could reply to, I think.  

WiskersThCatfish

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff