Reply Community Lounge
Manager-to-Employee Protocol/Etiquette

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:46 pm
Long story short, one of my managers is so uptight and tense about the job that, as a consequence, he tends to over-control, over-remind, and generally makes the job feel more of a chore than it really should be. Because he's so uptight and tense and doing all these things as a consequence, I'm beginning to feel uptight and tense and messing up simple things simply because I try too hard to not mess up. My co-workers told me to just relax because when they work with me without the manager there I do my job just fine. However, even his presence makes me too self conscious.

Would it be too uncouth of me to say "When you feel tense, I feel tense, and when I am tense I don't do my job as well. Could you please relax?"  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:50 pm
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tell him. I mean you may have to work on how you word it. Mostly just being very very careful not to say something that makes you sound uppity or something. He should want you to be able to do the best job possible, and if that requires that he relax then he should know that.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Spifflicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:15 pm

All things considered, Lin, that is a very sensible way to approach the situation. The wording even sounds fine to me. The best way to approach this sort of tension is a direct one, in my opinion. Just tell him how you feel, but make sure you are level-headed and not stressed at the time. I'm sure, if he's any sort of legitimate manager, he'll take it well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 pm
I had a similar incident at my work place with one of my supervisors and had to go talk to my manager that was also his manager and tell him what was bothering me. The best thing to do is be very calm, try to to at the beginning of your shift before you get a chance to get stressed out. Talk to the manager with respect and just explain what you feel is going on and how it is affecting your work, which is a big deal since it indirectly affects him and how looks since you are his employee. Also see if you can propose a compromise that may help you both to get through the work day without stressing more than is at all necessary. Good Luck! biggrin  

YukiOfTheMightnightHour

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items