Which is worse?
  Red-light Green-light addiction
  Multiplayer videogaming addiction
  Both are equally pathetic
  Duurrrr.....
View Results

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm
So this popped into my head as I went into the kitchen to get my usual square of chocolate.

We have a relative who is (lightly) addicted to chocolate. Without her chocolate for too long she gets very uncomfortable. I've heard of people eating chocolate to perk themselves up, until after a while they need the chocolate to do so. I'm sure many people wouldn't say it's bad to be addicted to chocolate though. After all it's just chocolate.

This makes me wonder why we think certain things are alright to be addicted to. Take games for example. Video addiction is a huge topic and people are very concerned about it. But I'm pretty sure there are people addicted to say, soccer. While there are probably more video game addicts (where it is available), why is it that a soccer addict would be considered healthy (I'm sure they would be) whereas a video game addict would be a problem? (assuming they maintain the same grades and social lives)

When I asked my older sister this question she said it's because soccer is useful since it has career paths.

But what if you were addicted to... Redlight Greenlight? Who's going to care if their kid craves Redlight Greenlight all the time? You might say it's a social activity, but video gaming can also be social. I communicate more by playing Halo 2 on multiplayer than I do in gym class, that's for sure...

I had other things I was going to write but forgot them all. T^T

So what makes certain addictions "bad" while others are "OK" or even "good" ?
Do you have any addictions?
Do you have any addictions besides drugs?
How serious do you think your addiction needs to be to be considered a LEGIT addiction?
What are some of the weirder addictions you've heard of?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 pm
Addictions are considered legitimate when they impede someone's ability to lead a functioning life. If it isn't a problem then its just a habit.  

Phaeton

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 pm
If you play so much soccer that you only practice by yourself instead of have friends, vs. if you play so many video games... do you think one is "worse"? Is not being able to be happy without chocolate not having a functioning life? Like is the "line" different depending on what addiction it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 pm
Well... you'd most likely be in much better shape if you were playing soccer, as opposed to video games... lol  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Phaeton 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:23 pm
Though Soccer isn't really something you can just play by yourself, this is the case with most team sports. You can practice dribbling the ball to the exclusion of everything else but that sounds kinda boring. It's not so much about friends but if you frequently miss work/school and/or even forgo sleep and self upkeep just to do it then there's a pretty distinctive problem there.

Define "not being able to be Happy without" though. I mean is it like state of mind altering highs and lows or just near obsessive craving?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:07 am
Phaeton
Addictions are considered legitimate when they impede someone's ability to lead a functioning life. If it isn't a problem then its just a habit.
This is the best definition of addiction ur going 2 find.  

Shannalee_Lace

Shaefer_A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 am
Well, I`m addicted 2 u Shanna, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 am
TurtIe Tracks

When I asked my older sister this question she said it's because soccer is useful since it has career paths.

Well actually thats pretty wrong, there are actually more job opportunities in the gaming world then in soccer and are much easier to get and just as rewarding. I'm in a program to make video games myself and in college i'll be making a video game from scratch using my own characters and environment, and even if you -just- play video games you can still be a video game tester :3 and they make very good money actually and in some companies they get games for free and get consoles for very low prices. ^^

Really video games are about as healthy as any other hobby....or addiction I guess. Its just the media that makes video games look bad and make it look like its just for lazy people  

Red Glacier

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 am
    What about video games where you play soccer... ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:37 am
Viral C
TurtIe Tracks

Well actually thats pretty wrong, there are actually more job opportunities in the gaming world then in soccer and are much easier to get and just as rewarding. I'm in a program to make video games myself and in college i'll be making a video game from scratch using my own characters and environment, and even if you -just- play video games you can still be a video game tester :3 and they make very good money actually and in some companies they get games for free and get consoles for very low prices. ^^

Really video games are about as healthy as any other hobby....or addiction I guess. Its just the media that makes video games look bad and make it look like its just for lazy people

rolleyes *snicker* I never said video gamers were UNhealthy; just that the guy (or girl; I use "guy" generically, but people get annoyed at that sort of thing) addicted to soccer would be healthier than the video gamer in much the same way that someone running, say, the Boston Marathon would be healthier than the guy watching a marathon of Lord of the Rings movies! It's the actual cardio portion of physical motion. As a matter of fact, a lot of runners ARE addicted to the endorphins they get; the natural "runner's high". smile

My addictions tend to be more tactile; movies, games, books, CDs, comics... smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 am
I'm almost addicted to yoyo. Keyword, almost though.

I don't know if you can say 'addictions' are ever good though. Like it was already said, addictions sort of impede regular function. Addiction is probably one of those words people use too loosely. When I think addiction I think negative, not just because drugs and such are things people get addicted to. Just because there's that saying "Too much of any good things is bad."

[/end ramble the will probly make no sense to me later]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 am
There's a big difference between a hobby and an addiction....though the two sometimes get mixed up in each other. I have met people who were so addicted to anime/video games that they simply allowed their social skills to decay. If there's something you really enjoy, and you enjoy it in healthy ammounts, I see no problem with that. It's when something becomes all consuming that I think there's a problem.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Jaabba-Ting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 am
I used to be addicted to playing video games. I used to play it all day and night. But now, it's just a for-fun thing. Maybe my addiction is staying on the computer now. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 am
I used to be addicted to Gaia! ^_^ but that was a while back, I think the only addiction I have now is reading and staying physically fit. mrgreen  

YukiOfTheMightnightHour

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 pm
So what makes certain addictions "bad" while others are "OK" or even "good" ? Bad addictions are the ones that dont let you do important things and you stop doing things because of them a good adiction would be like studying
Do you have any addictions? Smoking I love smoking and I dont know If it can be consider an addiction buying everyday coffe at Starbucks, being lazy and studying in the night,
Do you have any addictions besides drugs? I dont do drugs, dont project yourself in me please
How serious do you think your addiction needs to be to be considered a LEGIT addiction? eek Could you repeat the question please
What are some of the weirder addictions you've heard of? Doing drugs, the world of spectacule like hollywood and the music scene is real freacky  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff