Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
a couple questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiba Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 pm
I just started this weekend, and it'd be great if someone could guide me in a certain direction. I have a few questions about Gaia and earning gold...

I saw somewhere on my account preferences about instant messaging. Is it referring only to the chats in game rooms and towns and zomg, etc?

I saw some people have mini shops. And I would love to do one of my own since it seems to be a good way to earn gold. However, I can't draw well, so I didn't plan on selling avi drawings. sad Does anyone have a suggestion for what kind of mini shop I might want to start? Or if it's even wise to start one?

what is the car used for? and what does it meet to rally?

I apologize if this post is out of place, but I figured someone would be able to help me in this section.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm
Hi, welcome to gaia and the nstg! heart

- instant messaging refers to GIM. That is gaia's instant messenger. It's a fairly new feature, and not always running at 100%. My advice is to steer clear till you start to get the hang of things. GIM can be very frustrating sometimes. smile

- I'd suggest browsing the mini shops in the main forums. There are many different shops out there, and you may just find your niche, or the inspiration needed.

- The car is used primarily to race other users in Rally. Once you pick out a car you can challenge or be challenged while in Rally. Go to Sam's Body and Parts shop to customize yours.

No apologies needed. smile
You found the right place. heart  

Tragic l2abbit

Savage Sweetheart

13,900 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:11 pm
WinterOokami
I just started this weekend, and it'd be great if someone could guide me in a certain direction. I have a few questions about Gaia and earning gold...

No problem! You've come to the right place. ^__^

Quote:
I saw somewhere on my account preferences about instant messaging. Is it referring only to the chats in game rooms and towns and zomg, etc?

If you look to the top right corner of your screen, you will see three buttons to the left of the World Map: "Shortcuts," a link to your inbox, and something that reads "Buddy List (#)." That "#" is the number of friends that are online and available for chatting. If you click that Buddy List button, a new window will come up that resembles AIM or any other instant messaging service you may have. You can click on the names of your friends who are online and instant message them right here on Gaia.

Quote:
I saw some people have mini shops. And I would love to do one of my own since it seems to be a good way to earn gold. However, I can't draw well, so I didn't plan on selling avi drawings. sad Does anyone have a suggestion for what kind of mini shop I might want to start? Or if it's even wise to start one?

Even if you can't draw avatar art, there are plenty of other venues you are free to take. For example, if you possess any skill in making nice graphics (like banners, buttons, etc.), you can head on over to the Pricing, Assistance, and Suggestions forum in order to obtain honest opinions on how much you should charge for your work.

If making graphics/art isn't your style at all, you can always check out the Services forum. According to the Welcome to Services sticky, the Services forum is where you can sell all sorts of (you guessed it!) services, such as tarot card reading/fortune telling/divination, bumping services (a link to my own bumping service is in my sigmap, if you want to see what one looks like and what it's supposed to do), or web hosting for the graphics/art of other people. The sticky I linked above can give you further detail and information, if you're interested.

Quote:
what is the car used for? and what does it meet to rally?

Your car is used to race. If you go to the "Games" tab on the purple toolbar, you'll find "Rally." From there, you can either set up your car (and buy parts for it in Sam`s Body Parts) or go straight to the Rally itself. You choose the room you want to visit, just like in any other Gaia Online game; once you're there, you can challenge different people to race by clicking on their car and hitting the "Challenge!" button. Sometimes, your invitation will be denied, but you can always ask other people in different rooms until you find someone who is willing to race against you. Winning earns you nothing; Rally is just for meeting new people while having fun. You can earn gold if you choose to bet with another user and win the race, but it's never a sure bet; some people exit out of the game when it looks like they're going to lose. If you bet in a race, you should bet small things (like 200g or an inexpensive item), just in case you lose.

Quote:
I apologize if this post is out of place, but I figured someone would be able to help me in this section.

You're fine. ^__^ I hope that I could be of some help to you!  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:27 am
thanks for all your help! your replies help me out a lot, and I'll be sure to take a closer look at all your suggestions! thanks again!  

Kiba Rose

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff