Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:02 pm
So some lady I was rooming for one of the docs looked at my name tag and starts pondering its origin. She determined I must be Lithuanian.

WTF?!

How the hell do you get Lithuanian out of Lashmit? Most people incorrectly guess German, but at least that one makes some sense.

Oh, and my lack of a decernable American accent has officially befuddled a Brit today. She guessed I was from Vancouver because I could "pronunce letters properly." I find this funny because I was born in the south and raised in New England...and I can mimic those accents when I want to, I just only do it for performance purposes.

So apparently I'm living in the wrong country or the CIA should seriously consider using me as an international spy since no one will be able to peg me as American, lol.

Discuss:
Native orgins...or guess mine if you don't know me in RL
Fun with accents
Misconceptions based on family names...or other things (people look at me and assume I'm Jewish)  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:21 pm
I can fake a German accent, I learned some German so I guess it's easier to do now.

I'm black. I don't speak ebonics (Unless there's a good reason or i'm making fun of it), My name isn't stereotypically ghetto, and basically it isn't obvious unless someone runs into me in person. Basically people assume I'm half black, half white. This is based upon my skin color and some of the above traits. I mean never mind that nobody who is African American and not a first generation immigrant is 100% of African descent, but I digress.

Also I've been assumed to be Hispanic on numerous occasions. It doesn't help that I use similar names when ever I lie about my own.

They guess Lashmit is Lithuanian because they probably fished for a nation out of thin air.

America is supposed to be a big "melting pot" where anybody regardless of how they look or their name is spelled/pronounced would be considered American.

Well whatever.  

Phaeton

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:30 pm
User Image
French.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: Trish the Stalker

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:18 pm
Working in a call centre has given me the ability to mimic the accent of someone from Mumbai speaking English. I can also do a credible Cape Breton/Newfoundlander accent.

Americans say that when I say "about" it sounds like I'm saying "a boat". :s So I guess I have an easily-recognizable Canadian accent.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Indigo Project

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:50 pm
Fun with accents? I work tech support. Don't get me started.

I thought it was funny when an American customer told me I had a Mid-Western accent. I was born and raised in California.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:58 pm
I once had an Englishman ask me if I was as far from home as he was... in Oregon. Apparently, I don't sound quite like I belong in the US, either. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Senryoske

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:50 pm
No one can ever spell my last name right, and it makes me really mad.

other than that.... Northwestern PA has quite the accent. Warsh instead of wash.... stare Agean ( Can't spell that one out) instead of again....

Oh yeah, but people can pick out where were from pretty easy. Once my grandpa had a Arizonian locate him just by the way he talked! I didn't realize our accent was that bad until then... now I'm always correcting myself.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:44 pm
I've known some people around here that will never be mistaken for being from any other region of this country, lol.  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 pm
I've watched/read enough British material to pull a half decent English accent. I should some time just to show you all
And Jaft left me a comment last summer commenting that he kept thinking I was English. Apparently I give off a "British aura"

I don't bother trying to guess where people are from. I have no clue most of the time, might as well not embarrass myself.

As for me. People always mess up my last name. They don't look at the letters in it and just turn it into a common Spanish name. Doesn't help that I live in a area where South Americans with that very name abound.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 pm
Taeryyn
Americans say that when I say "about" it sounds like I'm saying "a boat". :s So I guess I have an easily-recognizable Canadian accent.

*ahem* Eastern Canadian. People from the East Coast or from Toronto, specifically, sound like they are saying "a boat" for about to my ear. Some Americans say it kind of like that but not quite. That one is more like "abaht" or "abayat" maybe. It's hard to describe.

A German exchange student at my high school asked me if my parents were British, because he thought he detected a bit of British in my accent. I've also been told I sound like I'm from the Midwest, but honestly, I have gotten very sloppy in my speech since I moved to Alberta almost 11 years ago, and have acquired somewhat of an Albertan accent -- ugh.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 am
A lot of the idiots on Xbox Live who insult me while games are being played ten to involve calling me "A British " Yet I'm australian xd I wonder if people mistake me for english IRL too. I do say Bullocks a lot xd

You say laughter and I say larfter, You say after and I say arfter

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm
lol I had a friend form New Zealand, and she would talk about living in Canader, where she has a friend named Melisser, but would then ask someone to please pass the buttah.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Papier Doll

4,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm
OK, who would get German out of that?! Im sorry but it looks nothing like it and my guessing, wouldn't sound like it. Its annoying how some people are with these language things. neutral Though it is unusual, Im guessing a latin type. >.<

Mild knowledge, i souldn't be talking xd I get Spanish and Mexican, the nationality traits completely whack.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm
It's the -shmit in my last name, sounds German like apparently. Personally I think that should make it sound more Jewish like than German like, but whatever.  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items