Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm
This horrid website is going to make my brain explode

Click the link, I assure you, anyone with half a brain will tear their hair out. This website claims that Psychiatry only does damage and that all the mental illnesses that are out there were just created. I... it... I don't even know what to say.

discuss
~idiots who don't realize that just because something isn't PERFECT doesn't mean it isn't needed or safe or helpful.
~idiot conspiracy theorists
~Scientology probably rearing its ugly annoying pissy head
~How as a future Psychological therapist I should beat these people senseless for my own enjoyment.
~anything I haven't covered  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 pm
ninja I can't load the website properly cause my nets is being stupid butit would not surprise me at all if Scientology was the websites origin. ninja

Surazal Dloc

Indigo Project

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 am
I consider myself living proof that the drugs do help. Do they cure? I don't know, but they do help.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:04 am
Indigo Project
I consider myself living proof that the drugs do help. Do they cure? I don't know, but they do help.
And I'm sure there are many people out there who will attest to that and say how much the drugs have helped but these guys focus on the very small percentage of people who get affected by the side effects. Not only that but no one said these things were cures, just that they would help. These kinds of things are usually pretty damn hard to cure and things you're gonna have to deal with the rest of your life.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm
Although I haven't been terribly impressed with some of the mental health experts I've dealt with, I don't think it's fair to tar the entire discipline with the same brush.

The video started out almost reasonably; yes, I think drugs are handed out too readily, and I think some doctors (and parents, and individuals) are quick to "diagnose" some sort of mental illness without even thinking twice. It's a lot easier to say "you suffer from clinical depression, have some Prozac" than it is to look at the underlying causes for that person's depression. Some of it might be chemical, some of it might not be.

A lot of people do experience mental illness, just like most people experience physical illness at least once in their life. In addition to that, for some people, medication can be extremely helpful or even life-saving. To imply that no one should ever take any psychiatric drugs is just ridiculous.

The website is disgusting. I couldn't even watch most of the video. It's well and good for them to show how horrible the psychiatric field used to be. The exact same could be said of ALL medicine. =/

They used ominous music, horror-movie ambiance, and worst-case scenarios (probably taken out of context) to prove their point. Obviously they're not objective.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm
Some people are just like that. They get an idea and have to force it on others no matter what. It's especially frustrating when they're uneducated on the topic, or when they use logical fallacies like that website to try to spread fear and ignorance...

It's a short trip from "conservative/liberal with conviction" to "close-minded nutbar with resources." The worst part is that those polar freakazoids are the ones who inspire more people to listen than those who actually make sense by speaking eloquently about subjects on which they're well-educated.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:35 pm
Most of my Psych professors actually comment on how its really frustrating from their stand point how this society wants a quick fix in the form of a pill. Ignoring the fact that most cases can be fixed with some therapy, you know having someone to talk to about your problems, to help you through whatever issues you have.

I read through some of the stuff they have and it was just infuriating how much outdated material was being used to make their point. These people are freakin morons.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:46 pm
Well, look at the way that a lot of people live their lives - constantly on the run to or from one place or another. Is it any surprise that when something goes wrong, they require a fast fix to it? I mean, even if the ailment snuck up on them over time, as soon as they realize it, they're in a hurry to get back to the craziness of their "everyday" life. They have no time to rest and recuperate - they have places to be and things to do. I imagine with the lack of sleep and proper nutrition, coupled with whatever psychological issues they're having, the stressful day-to-day can seem very mandatory.

People who are desperate will go to any lengths to be heard and prove that they're right. Even if that means lying and misrepresenting the truth. Pathetic as it is, people can be crazy over things they believe in.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 pm
Oh I understand WHY they want a fast fix, what they don't seem to understand (or in some cases ignore) is that most mental illnesses take time to fix. Psychological issues take time to fix, they take time to get through and should not be handled quickly but with patience. You wouldn't want someone doing a half-a** job when fixing something broken in your house, why would you allow a half-a** job be done when it comes to your mental health and well-being?

I think the thing that frustrated me the most was that the only reason I found this website is because one of its PSA commercials was shown on TV. I know they have freedom of speech and are allowed to put out whatever they want but it still frustrates the hell out of me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm
A lot of people are a tad... how can I say this nicely... detached from common sense of any kind. They run on autopilot in a panicked fashion dictated by the need to stay comfortable and healthy. So when something goes wrong, many people don't register that that means they need to stop; they only know that the bills have to be paid and the kids have practice and then there's the HOA meeting next week at four and on and on...

It is extremely disconcerting how easily idiots can get their hands on the resources to influence other idiots. That I can definitely agree with.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:10 pm
Goes to show, people need to learn how to slow down and take a moment for themselves. People should enjoy life and they forget to do that sometimes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm
I agree entirely. I think the main problem there is that life doesn't slow down for those psych disorders, and no one wants to be left behind. It's sad that there's less of a fair chance for those who have trouble coping.

A guy at my job with emotional issues just got fired for yelling at a guest who was being unbelievably inconsiderate. On the one hand, this guy should have known better than to treat a customer that way, but on the other, he's now jobless with bills to pay in an economy where well-adjusted people with degrees are having trouble getting jobs. This is just an example of how psych disorders can be seen as more than just illness, it's seen as more of a handicap or a pariah.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:24 pm
Ugh I can just imagine, poor guy. This society just wants people to either suck it up or place them somewhere where they won't have to deal with them. It's not good to ignore or push these people to the side, they need help, they need support and doing that just makes things worse.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:14 pm
Exactly. It's difficult, though, because I also believe in survival of the fittest, so I find myself torn between saying, "we need to help him find another job," and "well, that's what happens when you scream at guests."

From a more broad perspective, it seems that the main problem is the approach that people take to dealing with these issues. Rather than pills, alternate treatments should be considered first. Therapy, psych treatment... that sort of thing. It's a far healthier way of coping with very invasive problems.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Nikoru Tairuro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:50 pm
Sanzoskitsune
This horrid website is going to make my brain explode

Click the link, I assure you, anyone with half a brain will tear their hair out. This website claims that Psychiatry only does damage and that all the mental illnesses that are out there were just created. I... it... I don't even know what to say.

discuss
~idiots who don't realize that just because something isn't PERFECT doesn't mean it isn't needed or safe or helpful.
~idiot conspiracy theorists
~Scientology probably rearing its ugly annoying pissy head
~How as a future Psychological therapist I should beat these people senseless for my own enjoyment.
~anything I haven't covered

That is just horribly wrong..... pschiatry is a very helpful and vigorous program. Heck..... whoever made that website might need some seroius help....  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff