Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slightly Blue

3,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:08 pm
Okay, so I love persimmons. My mother bought me my own persimmon tree a year ago. It never gave any fruit, so my grandmother bought me another for my birthday. Around two months ago, someone or something split it in half. Now, all my family was sure it was done deliberately by someone. I thought maybe it was the wind. I know it’s not likely, but I don’t like being suspicious of the neighbors.

Well, today I was watering it, when I noticed that it was recently snapped right at the bottom. I am furious. I don’t even know if it can grow back. But if it can, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Should I put some chicken wire around it?

Also, why the hell are people breaking my tree? My tree?!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:46 pm
First off that sucks both for you and your poor abused tree.

We had some "lovely"children on the block last summer one of whom decided to abuse the tree in front of our house. He was literally waking at it with some metal piece of junk. I was mad but my mother gave him and his parents a very good earful...

I don't understand people's dislike of plants.... and I hate all the asphalting taking place on my street. It makes everything garish and extra hot in the summer.

There are "tree band aids" they are plastic rolls that you wrap the trunk with to protect it. Ask someone at the local hardware/garden store.
We used one to keep my dogwood safe from the weed-whacker.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

palnoki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 pm
Man that really pisses me off because i am pagan and love nature and trees. I hate when someone would hurt a tree. here's some ways to prevent it.

first if oyu can set up a webcam or somehting to record and check the video if oyu ever find the tree cracked, you rewind it and bang you know the culprit.

Also you can booby trap the tree with thorns and poison sumac, obviously this has draw backs to being near the tree but will usually deter most people. you could put a pesticide warning flag in front and make sure your neighbors see you spraying the tree, as long as the pesticide note says danger touching tree could be harmful due ot chemicals or somethign liek that, make them afraid to go near it.

if oyu have a dog, keep the dog chained near the tree, that usually frightens lesser people.

make a fake behive and put it in the tree as well, just need ot seal it with a clear thin poly so rain won't wreck it. no sane person goes near them

but that is all I can think of legally, hope one of these helps but the camera is th best bet to catch the person and have the police follow up  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm
There is a lemon tree in our back yard that actually broke under its own weight. It grows lemons larger than some grapefruits, and the limbs grow ridiculously fast. It seems possible that your tree(s) may simply not be getting the nutrients they need, and that could cause them to be physically weak and unable to bear fruit.

That, or you have got some major punks in your neighborhood.  

Indigo Project

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 am
sad Why would someone break your tree? That's just so...petty.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:37 am
I am an old ATG member =]

Major punks?
how many people are going to go "hey hey lets be cool and break a tree!!
we'll be like totally criminal and s**t yeah"?

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread
now fight his brute
http://shramy.mybrute.com

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Phaeton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am
I'm indifferent to trees personally. I live in a desert so it's Joshua trees (They're some sort of bizarre plant, but they aren't actually Trees) and coarse sand or you are wrong. On the other hand, it's private property. If you find out who did it, press charges.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 am
Shram
Major punks?

I used to think like that too, but some people are just dumbtarded and do dumbtarded things like that.  

Surazal Dloc

Yvaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:54 pm
Surazal Dloc
Shram
Major punks?

I used to think like that too, but some people are just dumbtarded and do dumbtarded things like that.

Amend that "some" to "quite a few" and I'm right there with you. As Lazarus Long says, guys from about age 13-20 need to be put in a barrel and fed through a hole, and not let out until they hit 21. Lately, I've amended that to include most people in that age group. Heck, I myself might have benefitted from a little barrel time...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:11 am
Ah, sorry for not replying for like, three days. I was on vacation.

@ Elcia: That boy had a lot of nerve to do it in front of the house, where anyone could see him. It makes it seem like he didn't even care if he got caught.

@ palnoki: I like the pesticide warning flag idea. I wouldn't actually spray the tree, though. I'd just put up the sign. Thanks for the idea.

@ Indigo Project: That's possible, I didn't think of that. It's better than thinking someone broke it, anyways.

@ Alarias: That's what I want to know.

@ Shram: It was probably some kid who didn't think it through.

@ Phaeton: Pressing charges is extreme. I just want it to stop.  

Slightly Blue

3,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items