I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Does it always have to be turned into a movie?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If they turned "Goodnight Moon" into a 3 hour epic film...
  I'd be psyched! I loved Goodnight Moon! I wanna see it as a movie!
  O_O For the love of god NO! It's supposed to be a SIMPLE story!! Not a movie!
  Might make a good movie...but they'd have to stay true to the original material
View Results

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:05 pm
So I just saw a trailer for a movie version of the kids' book: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. gonk Now...I love movies. But that book is just a simple yet brilliant story about a town that's besiged by weather made of food. It's not supposed to be about any one person. In fact it's really a man telling his grandkids about the time when it started raining food when he was a boy.

When I saw the trailer I thought, "Well it looks like a neat movie...but the reason why I liked that story as a kid was because it was such a fantastic premise, but kept simple in the style of a children's story. I feel like it doesn't need a whole movie, and all sorts of convoluted plot. Because I always liked stories that were as simple as, "So one day it started raining food...no real reason, it just did." xp

Then I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWL6j0SvqV0&feature=related

rofl rofl CLEARLY a fake. But it perfectly summarizes how I feel about some of my beloved childhood stories/tv shows/video games being turned into feature films. A neat idea, but not really nessicary.

Of course, everybody has their own opinions, and some people really like alternate, movie versions of stuff they remember from childhood. So what do you think ATG? Do you like these kinds of movies or not?

Edit: Here are some illustrations from that book: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs:

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:50 pm
So that's what Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs came from? ahaha. I saw a movie poster and I thought the title was lovely.

I saw that pac-man movie trailer before as well, but it doesn't even begin to compare with how awesome this one is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs
A minesweeper movie. simply amazing.

About those Cloudy Meatball and Cat in the Hat movies though.. They are alright. Kinda silly and lacking in depth, but cute and lighthearted. We just have to accept that kids don't read books as often as they used to, so movies are made-- perhaps not for the better, but whatever. I do want to see a Green Eggs and Ham movie.  

Ogyshi

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:56 pm
gonk NUUUUUUUUU! I will never accept not reading in my family (with the exception of blindness, dyslexia, blah blah blah). Dangit if I ever have kids, I will read to them every chance I can spare and hope with all my heart that they will know the joy of reading a book and using their imaginations. Movies just have too many limits. I love them too...but there are just some things that movies can't capture.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:03 pm
Yeah, movies have their limits. The only thing keeping me from as many books as I want to read though is time restraints. However, that's not an excuse for books like Cat in the Hat. I mean, the movie takes even longer to watch than the book takes to read.  

Ogyshi

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:05 pm
Ogyshi
Yeah, movies have their limits. The only thing keeping me from as many books as I want to read though is time restraints. However, that's not an excuse for books like Cat in the Hat. I mean, the movie takes even longer to watch than the book takes to read.

Not to mention, there is an old animated version of The Cat in The Hat, which really is the exact same story, just animated. And I think they paired it together with an animated version of The Sneetches or something like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:06 am
*shrug* Meet The Robinsons was a lovely little nothing of a book with beautiful artwork; the movie was a nicely fleshed-out souffle of a movie. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:51 am
Don't get me wrong, there are some book movies that I really like. I thought the first 2 Harry Potter books were well done, and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was an excellent adaptation. The children and the ice queen were just how I imagined them. whee

Also, I'm currently reading the Lord of the Rings series for the first time (Tried a couple times when I was way younger and I just couldn't keep up with the books). Part of the reason is that every time I see the movies I think, "Wow these are awesome....but I wish I had the original books in my head just to compare." I was very impressed with Fellowship. There were a couple things left out, and a couple liberties taken, but overall I thought it was an amazing job. So far, Two Towers is pretty much the same. xp I'm always super impressed when a movie does justice to the original. The movie doesn't have to be exact but I really love it when I feel like the original material is being respected.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 am
Excuse me for offending anybody who is a Twilight fan... but the movie was really a downfall and a disappointment.
I think the entire movie was wrong: things were left out that should've been there, the characters were not how imagined them (except Carlisle and Esma, I imagined them being portayed the way they did), and, in all honesty... ROBERT PATTISON JUST STINKS!

Seriously, I don't see what is such a big deal about this guy! What makes him so special? It freaking irritates me when I hear people talking about Twilight and they all go giddy for Edward/Robert Pattison.
Now, I like Edward but, I didn't imagine Robert playing him. The Edward in the movie didn't have orange hair like he was supposed to in the book and he surely didn't have it spiked up in the front (which that hairdo just looks retarded!).
And Kristin Stewart didn't make Bella "emotional" enough. The Bella in the book had more "life" in her than just being so damn simple.

I really don't have any intentions of "wanting" to see New Moon. But I guess I have to see it anyway since my girlfriend is such a fan about it... stressed

XxDarkMalicexX

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 am
Movies can be a good thing. While I'll agree that reading is important, sometimes it takes a movie to shut kids up for an hour and a half. I mean, it really depends on what they're watching and how much.

A lot of movies based on books are, in my opinion, lacking creativity. Producers and directors have run out of ideas, so they're "modernizing," "updating," or "retelling" stories that were perfectly fine the way they were.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 am
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
Movies can be a good thing. While I'll agree that reading is important, sometimes it takes a movie to shut kids up for an hour and a half. I mean, it really depends on what they're watching and how much.

A lot of movies based on books are, in my opinion, lacking creativity. Producers and directors have run out of ideas, so they're "modernizing," "updating," or "retelling" stories that were perfectly fine the way they were.

*high fives* Exactly! Most of them don't bother me much. But Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was a childhood favorite of mine. I was actually excited at first when I heard they were making that movie, because there are some awesome scenes in the book. crying But why does it have to be another "See it with 3-d goggles!" "We added romance and a complicated plot!" kind of dealie. If they'd kept the same art style now...I'd be a little more open to that story having more of a plot. *Goes to find book to scan some pics from it*  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:49 am
Like all things... some movies work others don't it all comes down to quality put in and how true they stay with the plot. Or how well they compliment the lack there of with new material.

I love reading and yes the movie effects are great in fact they seem to get better in general all the time but it's not the same as what you can do inside your own head.

As for your point Kyla, remember these are adults with adult preconceptions making movies for kids. Think of the gap.
Kids either ask a million whys or they just take things with a grain of salt. Its a town where it rains food, thats so awesome as is, why would one even question why. And from there the kid's probably thinking about how their favorite food would come down and what it would look like all over their lawn. xd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:23 pm
I loved the cloudy with a chance of meatballs book. I didn't have a copy so almost every time I went to my grandma's I read it~

I think that the movie is an okay idea. It's a plot based off a the general idea (I'm not really sure how to explain what I'm thinking), but I wish they could have done the original story and original art.

Also, I want my kids to read a lot. I want to teach them to read early so that they can read well and do good in school 3nodding  

Liltweet_gal

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:58 pm
What's this? Meet the Robinson's was a book too? Goddamnit I have a reading deprived childhood.

But I really honestly wonder why so many people complain when they rewrite stories for movie adaptations. I can understand why someone may not be a fan of the movie version, because frankly they rarely have as good of a story as the book, but... when people say the movie sucks simply *because* the story isn't *exactly* the same, I find it to be nonsense. If the movie is going to be exactly the same as the book, there is no point in making it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 pm
My thought has always been that the book version and movie version (and any additional versions of a story) are going to be "alternate universe" stories; very similar, but with differences. My main concern is how well the story is told, and how well it is in keeping with the spirit of the original, whatever form the original had.

It's also why I don't mind remakes; after all, how many versions of, for example, A Christmas Carol and Alice In Wonderland are there now? However, I'm always eager to see what a new mind and different perspective (and usually a different set of actors, in the case of "filmed media) can bring to the story. ^_^  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:27 pm
Mmm, like I said it doesn't have to be exact.

Here's a good example: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is one of my favorites in the series. I was sooooo excited for that movie for one particular reason. Quidditch World Cup eek I loved that part of the book and I really really wanted to see a live action version of that scene. So I was uber pissed when they lead up to the start of the match....and then didn't show a damn thing! crying  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff