Reply Community Lounge
The most misused invention ever to be misused. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 pm
Simple enough. We all know the world isn't perfect. We all know some objects just *aren't* used for they should be. For instance, kitchen knives for murder and glass bottles for contraception (I've heard of someone doing this..). A few inventions make my list as being particularly badly misused, such as plastic, guns, and the number one on my list.. cars.

I've wrote a whole freaking essay for class and had to cut out a *lot* of ideas about why I hate cars to fit my word limit. For starters, they pollute. They make our air ******** horrible. That is obvious enough but apparently isn't convincing enough to a lot of people. How about this: cars are the primary influence on urban sprawl. Because of urban sprawling, most of our casualy visited locations and amenities are too far away and that *forces* us to use cars. Those of us who drive anyway. It also makes our cities look *horrible*. The quality of architecture and urban design is seriously degraded. Quality of life and community is lost as well, as the roads push us farther away from each other and no one walks and talks on the roads anymore. Rather, we drive 10 miles in a car passing thousands of people without even so much as saying "hi." All thanks to zoning laws... which is thanks to what? Cars.

Now cars are pretty freaking useful though. I would only think they are good for traveling from city to city or in rural areas. (however, we would benifit more by a good public transport system). Just if your interested, I would recommend the book "Carfree cities" by Crawford. That book was so beautiful it put butterflies in my stomach.

Cars is just the top of my list. You may share what you think is the worst invention ever in 3.. 2... 1..  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:46 pm
I don't think cars are a bad invention. I think, as you say, they're very misused. stare It makes me freakin nuts every time I'm in the city and I see someone riding around in a Hummer. gonk There is no justifiable excuse for driving a Hummer, unless you really, honestly, legitimatley need that much car....which most people probably don't.

Even worse is around prom time when you see the stretch SUVs and Stretch Hummers. crying crying Those make my soul hurt. It's like, "Hey! Why don't we take the cars that kill the planet the most....and make them bigger so they'll kill the planet faster! Because it'll make you and your puberty-riddled pals look slick at prom! biggrin "

scream Nononononononono! I don't care how "rich" or "priveliged" a person is, or even if they're "just treating themselves to something neat". Those massive cars aren't nessicary. My parents drive a van instead of a truck, because it's better for the environment and gives them the space they need to haul stuff around when they need to. They actually put legitimate thought into the purchase instead of going, "Hey! What's the biggest loudest vehicle we could possibly purchase?" crying I feel fortunate every single day that I was raised by awesome parents who instilled things like morality and values into me and my sister.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm
agreed agreed agreed.

People are in an entoxicated love affair with their cars as they are a symbol of wealth. But.. we'd save a *lot* of money if we didn't produce millions of cars each year, spend thoousands of dollars on gas, and a huuge amount of money on taxes that maintain the roads. Craaaazy.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm
I'd say cameras are pretty misused. Capturing a moment is one thing; taking a million shitty pictures of oneself out of sheer conceit and vanity is another. What else are cameras used for? Blackmail. Spying. Boooo.

Photoshop's misused. Instead of simply being used for incredible artistic feats, it's now the reason that even photographic evidence isn't immediately trustworthy.

As for cars, meh. I live in an extremely car-unfriendly city. The roads and buildings were built before cars were really mainstream. As a result, the roads are extremely narrow and poorly laid out, there's almost nowhere to park, and very few people who live here bother owning a car.

But the idiots who do own cars need to learn to ******** drive. I don't know how many times I've nearly been hit when crossing the street (while there's a red light for cars and a walk sign for me!) in broad daylight.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 pm
I would love to live in a city like that, Taeryyn. It sounds good, (At least, from that little slither of information).

And yeah, the photoshop is a good example.. It's also the reason people stress over their appearance more than ever on account of photoshopped magazine models. ..And just because this is an online forum where I can do this easily, I'm going to share this video related to that note that I came across yesterday that I found interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U
Honestly, I thought this woman looked better *before* the the photoshopping. But whatever.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:21 pm
Eh, the only downside is the city is essentially divided into 4 hubs (originally four different villages), and although each individual hub is pedestrian-friendly, it's quite a bit of a walk from one to another. x3 Oh well. I could probably walk through the entire city in under 3 hours. And if you do need to drive anywhere, and you aren't from the city, it's a nightmare. Two-way streets suddenly becoming one-way, round-abouts, some streets are one way in two different directions, poorly-placed stop-lights...

And that video is interesting, but it makes me sad. sad  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:30 pm
..One way streets in two different directions? Please bear with me if I say that's a little confusing.. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm
It is. You can't enter the streets from either end. you have to enter from the middle, and either go left or right.

We have several of those.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:20 pm
3nodding Boston has a lot of public transport, it could just stand to be a little better...and more people should use it. But there's a commuter rail that goes all over the state, then the subway and busses which cover pretty much all of the city....IS NIIICE! <---Borat voice xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm
Wow! I'd love to know a city like Taeryyn's. It'd be a fresh change of pace. Recently had a run-in with a car lately while crossing in a crosswalk. Apparently people don't look any more, but I'm alive!

I'd say computers are misused now. I hate having to clear my computer of viruses/tracking cookies. Plus all the people that phish and get all that personal information... no bueno.  

Yanike

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:56 pm
Right! Before cars cities where beautiful, clean smelling, wonderful places to live with large open streets and things where always in close proximity! Cities are cleaner now then ever before.

Urban sprawl is caused by only one thing, and it is not cars. It's urbanisation that gives us the urban sprawl. The more people there are the more things that are needed, and well things aren't always pretty. If less people moved into cities then we wouldn't have such ugly land scapes. In fact if people moved away from cites the entire area from Washington to Boston would be much better off. However urbanisation is how the world works and should work as we move to a tertiary economy.

Blaming cars for this is like blaming guns for crime. Public transportation isn't a solution at all for city wide travel. I don't want to live by someone else's schedule. Public Transportation is only good for rush hour because everyone is going to the same place.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 pm
I know cars isn't the *only* thing to blame. But cars contributed to urbanism, which, as you agree Saverio, is responsible for urban sprawl.

But cars is the reason we have parking lots and wider streets that produce the bleak dismal effect we see. Cars is the reason business districts are as noisy as they are, which is why shopping districts are not integrated with residential areas-- People didn't want to listen to the noise. Cars more readily bring people from a wider area to shop in one spot, requiring larger and larger malls and larger and larger parking lots. Henceforth, small corner stores can't thrive and all of a sudden we found ourselves in this situation. Urbanism can't happen unless people can move around as effortlessly as they can in a car.

And if cities are built ideally, we won't need public transportation very much, as most of what we need would be in walking distance.

We can't pinpoint exactly why things are the way they are, as even an advanced study would have uncertainties. I just think cars certainly helped a great deal in screwing us up.  

Ogyshi

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm
Most misused invention of all time has got to be fire. What started out as a way to cook a delicious meal ended as a tool for warfare and arson. And don't get me started on its mixture with napalm... That in and of itself was practically an act of evil intention.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 pm
A city where everything is in walking distance is no city. The whole point of a city is a agglomeration of people and business. We have had wide streets for an eternity in cities. Before cars it was horses and trains. People have been traveling to get their needs since before writing and will continue too. People have traveled to the city for ages to get their needs fullfilled, and will continue too. Cars may help urbanisation but they are not the cause, nor the main reason cities are growing. Nor will removing cars slow the cities growth. The city is where Humanity does it's work, it is where the jobs are, and it's where the stores are. That's how it's been for over 9,000 years (I forget when the first agricultural revolution happened so I am just using writing ).

It is laughable that you talk about a corner store not being able to survive when it is part of the problem. We don't need more people in the corner stores, we need more big stores in the projects. foods at corner stores are more expensive then at the "evil" shopping centres. They are part of a the problem, in the slums. If you have a car you can get the best deal on items. Cars are a form of freedom. You want to take that away for masturbatory aesthetics.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 pm
Saverio C.

It is laughable that you talk about a corner store not being able to survive when it is part of the problem. We don't need more people in the corner stores, we need more big stores in the projects. foods at corner stores are more expensive then at the "evil" shopping centres. They are part of a the problem, in the slums. If you have a car you can get the best deal on items.

It's not just slums/low-income neighbourhoods. sweatdrop My part of this city doesn't have a large grocery store, or really any large stores. The layout just doesn't support it.
We do have an incredible farmer's market that's open year round, and I love it to death, but there's some stuff that you just can't buy there. Not to mention, it closes at 5 every day, and isn't open Sundays.

Can I walk to another section of the city where all the big stores are? Yes, it's about an hour's walk each way, which isn't a big deal, but you try carrying a full grocery order both ways, especially in the winter. There is the bus, but trying to fit even one bag with you onto a crowded bus isn't fun. You could take a taxi and pay $9+ for a single trip.

There are corner stores, yeah, and I do frequent them more than I like, because a lot of times, I don't really have a choice. I don't mind supporting people in my neighbourhood, but getting gouged sucks. Most of the corner stores here go to the bigger stores, buy stuff in bulk, and then resell it for a lot more.

So yeah. Pedestrian-friendly is all well and good, but sometimes it really helps to have a drive somewhere. x_X There're pros and cons to each side.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff