Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:47 pm
So ATG, have you ever had friends or co-workers try to convince you to do something that you REALLY don't want to do?

Right now I'm working at a Dunkin Donuts. My manager hinted at maybe trying to set up a staff trip to 6-Flags. She insisted that we'd have to go and ride all the crazy roller coasters. When I mentioned that I really don't like roller coasters, she was shocked and said, "Really? Aww you could do them. You'd be fine. You'd like them!" gonk But I don't like rollercoasters and...I don't want to like them. I like watching them, but the idea of riding them scares the crap out of me.

So if I went along on this 6-Flags thing, I'd totally be the wet blanket who'd sit out all the roller coasters waiting for everybody else to get back. And...if I actually did go on a roller coaster, I would make a total idiot of myself, because I'd be terrified and I just know it would result in me sobbing and freaking out and being even less fun. Because then I'd be "the nerd who had a freak out when we tried to get her on a roller coaster...and then she sat out all the roller coasters and waited for everybody else to come back."

So ATGERs, you ever find yourself in a situation where people are trying to force you to like something and you really just don't want to?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 pm
User Image

My bandmate Andy has the same problem. He's terrified of heights, which is kinda awkward when we go to Alton Towers (a theme park), 'cause he doesn't go on the roller-coasters or the skylift things. He'll come with us onto the ghost trains and stuff, but not onto the roller-coasters.

Before I met Andy, someone tried to get me to join their band. The condition for doing so, however, was that I HAD to get either absolutely piss-drunk or stoned before I went on stage with them. Told them to ******** right off.

biggrin

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:00 pm
Good for you Bass! *High fives*
I really hate peer pressure. I'm not at all swayed by it...I just find it really dumb. sweatdrop It's like...if these people really give a crap about me, why do they insist on trying to make me as uncomfortable as possible? gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 pm
My previous roommates were always trying to get me to come out to the bar with them. =/ (Element or Ozone, which are dance bars.) Nevermind the fact that I hated the music, don't enjoy crowds or being around drunk strangers, and generally had to be up for work first thing the next day. The one time I did go, they all ditched me to go dance on poles, and I was left wandering around by myself being awkward and getting stuff spilled on me by drunk idiots.

"Awww, come on. It'll be fun."
No, sorry, it wouldn't be.
"You need to come out with us."
Yeah, maybe. But not to the bar.
"Whyyyy notttt? It'll be fun!"
No, it won't. I don't find it fun, how hard is that to understand?
"How come???"
Because I DON'T WANT TO.

Saying "no" the first time should be enough! Why would anyone want to have me go out with them when I obviously don't want to go??  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:27 am
You probably seduced them. D8

I don't respond to peer pressure very much. Especially when it comes to expensive things. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 pm
I hate roller coasters and since I live in a city with Six Flags it's like...that's something people my age like to do. I've given in and gone a few times but, I usually avoid the rides. The one time I did get on one it was horrible...and I got made fun of by the guy with the microphone at the start/end of the ride too. -_- Wont be doing that again.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 pm
I hate when other kids my age act like it's a huge deal that I don't go out and party... I also hate it when they find out that I'm single, a virgin, and not interested in changing that and they act like I'm so virtuous or so sheltered...

With regards to Six Flags, don't they have other rides? I thought it was a family park...

Seriously, though, if you don't want to go, say no.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 pm
I don't like much roller coasters... i have very few that i like... the ones where i don't see the ground at all...

you should never be pressured to do anything... tell them NOS!! and that's it!  

Pnytenshi

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 pm
Er... Well, in this particular case, I'm not going to give in to the peer pressure here... I *adore* roller coasters! I'm also notoriously resistant to peer pressure. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:35 pm
I used to have a fear of roller coasters when I was little but that subsided. It was a bit irrational but at least nobody forced me to go on them. I'd just have to wait with everybody who wasn't getting on said ride.

I've only been recently pressured by my sisters to accept their beagle. I don't really like animals and I'm not particularly fond of that beagle either. I know he's still young but he wrecks everything he gets his jaws on, hasn't mastered potty training, and hasn't been fixed yet. I DON'T WANT HIM IN MY ROOM AND NO, I WONT PICK HIM UP! Stop asking me to pick up and carry a dog I can barely stand to be around.  

Phaeton 2

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
I hate when other kids my age act like it's a huge deal that I don't go out and party... I also hate it when they find out that I'm single, a virgin, and not interested in changing that and they act like I'm so virtuous or so sheltered...

With regards to Six Flags, don't they have other rides? I thought it was a family park...

Oh yeah there's plenty of cool, non-roller coaster/extreme rides. I love the big swings and I don't mind the roller coasters that just go fast (It's the giant drops and upsiedown bits that freak the hell out of me).

@Aretoo: whee I like watching them. I just hate the idea of me being on them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:36 pm
I find the best way to avoid fear of roller coasters is to shut your eyes while on it. Or at least while you're about to drop. Sure it makes you look funny, but would you rather keep your lunch inside you, or be known as the guy who ralphed on everyone behind him due to levitating barf?
It''s so very easy to lie to yourself when you can't see.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:00 pm
I have no issues with roller coasters (ironically) but I don't like those pillar rides that drop you. Hate those.

I told my boyfriend this one time before going to an amusement park. So he thought I might be OK doing one if he rode with me. Not sure how he thought that would work, but he did. He convinced me after about an hour to try the ride with him after explaining it was all controlled carefully and such. He failed to tell me that instead of dropping us rapidly, it would shoot us up rapidly. So I'm strapped into this thing and we get rocketed straight up and I think something went horribly wrong and we're going to die. After a lot of obscenities and trembling and giving my boyfriend a good blow to the head, he agreed it probably wasn't one of the better ideas he's had.

He only ever made that mistake once. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm
Kyla_Ewens
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Oh yeah there's plenty of cool, non-roller coaster/extreme rides. I love the big swings and I don't mind the roller coasters that just go fast (It's the giant drops and upsiedown bits that freak the hell out of me).

Oh, that should be fun. biggrin I've never been to Six Flags because there aren't any in my area, but I've heard a lot about it from when I used to live in Texas.

@ Erv: I am that guy.... I get seasick really easily, and once I got very sick while riding one of those boat rides, and as I was climbing off, I started to be sick and my cousin tipped me forward... I puked into this lady's purse over the side of the ride. xd

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Dinosaur Next Door

Rica is insane

6,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:17 am
Ugh I was dragged onto a roller coaster by my MOTHER of all people, and though it was in a pitch dark setting I was still scared out of my mind. My Dad even commented on how pale I looked and was worried if I was getting sick. x.x I can't STAND roller coasters. Okay yes, they're cool, but you know what? I DON'T WANT TO RIDE IT.

I get criticized ALL THE TIME because of that : Mostly by my brother who's just a jerk anyway.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff