District 9 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slim95
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:35 am
Oh, goodness gracious... Must make a thread about this movie...

It was... absolutely amazing, in my opinion. Easily a new favorite, possibly my all-time favorite... I really hope I don't sound like a complete idjit when I say I loved it. sweatdrop It was just so...new...to me. I've seen alien movies before... And I've seen your typical war movies before... Documentaries, etc... But I've never seen such a wonderfully executed alien movie before.

My one qualm is that it might've been overly brutal for cheap thrill purposes... But a small horrified part of me is wondering if people are really capable of being like that, and it's not being overly brutal at all.

The character development was wonderful, to me... The plot seemed "realistic" (as realistic as that stuff gets, if you know what I mean. A real "what if"), captivating, and satisfying... Graphics have never been super important to me, but those were swell too... And it really knew how to bother me; tugged at my heartstrings like crazy. It kept me on the edge of my seat as well. I was fiddling with the ring I was wearing like crazy.

Was just all-around...fantastic.

Thoughts?...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 am
ninja
First thigns first *glomp-huggles Slim*

Well I haven't seen the film yet, I don't beleive its out here in the Land of Oz just yet. But from what I understand (taking in mind I haven't seen this so its purely based on well an interveiw with the directer or something) is that they were trying to open our eyes to brutality in that area that most of us are ignorant of or choose to turn a blind eye to (which is being ignorant...) anyway yah. Ill give a better opion once I see it. It's definately on my to see list ^.^

ninja

Surazal Dloc

Kire Kaysan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 am
I haven't seen the movie because I'll wait until it comes to HBO.
I read the synopsis of the movie and it seems quite interesting and probably worth seeing. Some of the commercials for the movie were hilarious because they were racist to the aliens and said something like district 9 keeping humans and non humans separate in a chilling happy voice. Some buses in Canada where I visited and buses where I live had signs on their sides saying that those buses were for humans only. I thought that that was hilarious to see such advertisement on the buses. It really caught my attention about District 9.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am
I am so stoked about this movie. I can't wait until I have a free evening so that I can go see it.

User Image

124-C

ChiMeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 am
Really? I don't really have a desire to see it.

Maybe I'll download it when it comes out on video or something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 am
I'd never even heard of it until today. I really have no interest in seeing it.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am
Well... it sounds very interesting, and I think it's no coincidence that it's set in South Africa, former home of Apartheid. It's been getting mostly rave reviews from the critics (and to be honest, the ones who have been saying "nay" have, by and large, sounded a bit, er, "sniffy" about it). Firmly looking forward to it, here. smile

And Laz? It literally just opened today. No wonder you haven't seen it; very few actually have. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:14 pm
To be honest, I'm very on and off about seeing it. It seems kind of like another alien movie, and there are plenty of those. On the other hand, it seems to have great reviews.

..plus, at first I was thinking, "Oh, Cloverfield. Just another monster movie" and then I got into the ARG, and then the movie came out. And aSDF BEST MOVIE EVER. So I that's what's getting me into District Nine. At worst I'll spend nine bucks on a movie I didn't absolutely love.  

Celestial Burden

La La Leprosy

Dangerous Raider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm
i'm actually really excited to see it.
it looks like one of the first alien movies that i might wanna see.
suffice Signs, but that movie bombed imho.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:13 am
I'm actually interested in seeing this, I'm not entirely sure I'll be seeing it in theaters though... looks extremely cool and I love the way they're promoting it.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Odd Boy Out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 am
I want to see this biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 pm
@Doc: Mmhm, that sounds about right. It certainly has many a message.

@Kire: Yeah, I loved the advertisements~! They had a parade of "alien right protesters" at a convention as well, I believe. Oh, I called the phone number given on most of the advertisements, too. It has a few interesting little features on it.

@Tsuji: Tell me what you think as soon as you watch it. whee

@Tae: Don't like alien movies?

@Aretoo: Glad you're looking forward to it. 3nodding You have every reason to, I'd say.

@Celes: Oh, no... It's certainly not just another monster movie. No mindless destruction (though there's destruction aplenty). And the style is quite different from Cloverfield; the perspective is almost constantly changing, there's no real cameraman, etc.

@Spiif: I didn't get all the hype about it. It was a good movie, but not... exceptional or anything. The twists were kind of just eyebrow raisers to me.  

Slim95
Crew

La La Leprosy

Dangerous Raider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:57 pm
what, Signs, or District 9?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 am
I finally watched the movie earlier today. I'm highly impressed, definitely not what I would qualify as just another alien movie. Hell the fact that they were aliens seemed to be just a coincidence type of deal. Most of the movie made me feel... kind of sick to my stomach in the "humans are horrible" kind of way. I'm really happy I saw it  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Slim95
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 am
@Spiif: Oh, Signs.
@Sanzo: I'm glad you liked it so much~! And yeah, it has that effect...  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff