Reply Community Lounge
Why Did I Do That? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:44 am
Hello ATG, boy do I have a story for you! But first I want to ask if you have even done anything where right afterwords you were like, "Well damn, why in hell did I do that?" Where even at the time you knew it was stupid but yet for whatever reason you ignored that little scratch at the back of your brain, or that voice that is screaming "NO YOU ******** DON'T DO IT!" Well if you have please share it with us, and please keep that event in mind as you're reading my little story.

Yesterday I get a call from Bell saying that because I'm a customer of theirs I qualify for a cell phone. Now at this point my kids were screaming and I should have told them to call back later, but for whatever reason I listened to their pitch that and I'm a sucker for the word free. They told me that I would just need to pay a monthly fee. They had my name and address and asked me for my SIN(social insurance number) I told them that I don't give it out and they said they needed it to verify I was who I was, my kids are still screaming and I said fine, but I need all of this person's information in case anything should happen to my SIN. He gave me his information and told me that bell would for no reason ever sell any of my personal information. After I was done with this person he passed me off to a quality check person who wanted to make sure that I was fully informed on what I was getting.

The call was done.

For the rest of the afternoon I was feeling like s**t, I was angry and anxious. I figured it was because I was going to be getting some stupid cell phone that I don't need so I called Bell back. I told them that I didn't want their cell phone promotion and the man asks me what one, and I tell him. The next words might as well have been someone clocking me in the jaw.

"We don't have a promotion like that."

Well ********, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said at the time too. So now my SIN is out there. Bell suggested I report it to the cops. When I got off the phone I did a *69 so I could find out what the number was. It was a conference call line. That verified it for me that I was scammed. I'm aware that it was my fault which is why I'm not angry at the situation, rather amused. You see my credit is s**t right now so they can't even get a credit card in my name, even if they do I go to the cops about it. They can get false ID's but as soon as Visa sees that I'm somewhere else they're going to go after the false me. I don't have my SIN tied to anything else, so I'm actually pretty safe. Should anything happen I just go to the cops because I have done a police report.

I would love to see your faces while reading this! Whether you're laughing your a** off or if your jaw has dropped in disbelief. It must be priceless. So tell me what you think!

Also BEWARE OF BELL!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:21 am
Yes GRM, I've had one of those momments. I'd rather not give out the detials here, but lets just say I put something of mine somewhere and the whole time it was there I'm like "No this is wrong, and can only end badly" but at the time it was quite shall we say convineant so I choose to ignore that voice. Probably one of the biggest regrets I have. The s**t hit the fan afterwards and yeah. Vague enough? xD

And what ma I ask is Bell? I read it first as 'Dell'  

Surazal Dloc

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:37 am
The Bell phone company. Well they do TV stuff too. If you want to know more you can go here. Oh and VERY vague! ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:46 am
Hey I asked the Telus person why the hell they needed my SIN to give me a contract for my new cell phone... even though I was standing IN the Telus store at the time. As far as I am concerned my SIN is just for taxes and EI! One of those people whose job it is to harass innocent bypassers in the mall tried to get me to enter a draw, walked me into a store, and put me on the phone with someone who wanted all of my personal information. As soon as they asked for my SIN I was like "why do you need that?" apparently the harraser guy forgot to tell me that I was signing up for a lign of credit at the store in order to enter the draw. NO THANKS!  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:52 am
I wanted to say no from the beginning because I don't need another cell phone, daddy in law is getting me one and I can use it for texting. As soon as my SIN was even mentioned I should have hung up, but for whatever reason I didn't. C'est la Vie. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:06 am
I'll paint you mornings of gold,
I'll spin you Valentine evenings...

I'm not old enough to have any sort of numbers like that.

I can contribute to the "Why did I do that?" bit because there have been several times where I have tried to put my socks in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard.

Though we're strangers till now,
We're choosing a path between the stars.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:44 am
SIN is personal ID numbers I assume?
you guys all know half of mine =3
well all who know my birthday do anyways  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 am
Your SIN is basically your access to government money, and theirs to yours. I think Monday I'll be calling up the Government to give them a warning about my number.

Chex, Your socks and milk thing reminded me of when I poured milk into a bottle that didn't have a liner in it, Guin gets gas and we can't use normal bottles with her.

I also remember when I was like 13 my siblings, 10 years+ younger than me, had a bouncy seat. It didn't have legs really rather just one continuous piece of plastic for legs. So for whatever reason I stood on it, balanced myself on the ONE SIDE and then went to jump to the couch. Well I didn't understand how kinetic energy worked and I thought I would be able to jump. Nope. Instead I pushed the bouncer over and the other side whacked me in the shins! Oh man that hurt so bad! You live you learn!  

God-Raped-Me

xxxx_placeholder_xxxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:34 am
SIN is only in Canada, I believe, and it stands for Social Insurance Number. You can find information about it here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/

I have not done anything as drastic as that, but I did give a friend the password to my previous Gaia account, so they could do my daily chance while I was on vacation. I trusted this friend, so I did not see anything wrong in doing this. I got home a week earlier than I said I would, and I changed my password for my account and was going to call my friend the next day. But then I noticed that half of my inventory was missing, and later my account was temporarily banned for repeated failed attempts to log in with the wrong password. I am not very original with my passwords in general, and I knew that my frenemy (thank you for the term, Kals) would probably guess it soon. So I deleted my account. It was my fault, really, so I can't do anything but not make the same mistake again. At the same time, a lot of other things went on with this person and the group of friends that I shared with them, and now I am no longer in contact with any of them. Just this week I got the courage to make a new Gaia account. Yesterday I saw this frenemy on the bus and they were surrounded by all of my old friends and were flaunting their happiness in my face. This made me so angry and distressed that I got off the bus four stops early just so that I would no longer have to be in their presence.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:27 pm
While I was reading the story, GRM, as soon as I got to the bit about the SIN, I cringed.

@Chex: I got my SIN card when I was 16, as soon as I started working. I don't know how it works in the US, but here you need it to get most jobs. (Any job where you're not being paid under the table, anyway.)  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:55 pm
I'll paint you mornings of gold,
I'll spin you Valentine evenings...

Well, job-wise, if you are under 18, you need to sign a permit, both with your parents and your own signature, pay a fee, and have the permit with you at all times when you're working.

18 here is the adult age. After that, you don't need a permit. That's when, because you're an adult, they ask for your SSN (Social Security Number). That's the number that tells everyone you are who you are. The eldery also have an annual payment to them called Social Security (not the same as a pension, I think).

If the number is unfamiliar to us, we don't answer. When we do and if they ask for our Social, we immediately know they're bogus because no company here asks for your social over the phone.

Most government documents, like taxes and work stuff primarly ask us for our Social instead of our birthdate because through that number, they can look up everything.

Though we're strangers till now,
We're choosing a path between the stars.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:19 pm
Bluee I know it was my fault for being stupid, I even told the cop that too. I said I know what I did and I know it's my own fault. The cop was nice about it though because he said though it's good that I know that what I did was silly no one should ever be asking my in the first place.

Sorry to make you Cringe Tae.

Chex, there are actually a few things here in Canada that ask for your SIN, banks, credit people; Credit card companies, dealerships and so on, even the company I worked for asked for your SIN so they could keep track of you. I never asked for it while I was working there and I would get in trouble, I told them that unless they were going to cover my a** when someone tries to take me to court I wasn't asking for any of that!  

God-Raped-Me

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm
I was cringeing on your behalf. sweatdrop I'm really sorry they scammed you.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:43 am
wait, you have to pay to have a job? THAT sounds like a scam to me!

When I was somewhere between 14 and 16, I walked into the local Service Canada office (it didn't used to be called that, but I forget what the old name was) with my mother and my birth certificate. I applied for my SIN card, and once I got it, I could get a job. No parental consent required, no fee, nothing. You have to be over 18 to serve alcohol, and you have to be over 16 to deal with petroleum products. There are other regulations about certain types of jobs and whatnot, but no permit. I thought job permits were just for people like... international students who want to work off campus and that sort of thing.

Pretty much every legitimate job in Canada asks for your SIN so they can do payroll correctly with tax, EI, and CPP deductions kept track of and all that. A lot of other things require it as well. Obviously you need it in order to file your taxes, which is good because if your job is deducting your taxes correctly, you should get a refund cheque every year by filing taxes.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:47 am
It's ok Tae, don't feel bad it was my fault!

Kal did you know that on the back of your SIN it says "This card is not an authorization to work in Canada" Which means you don't even need it to get a job. It's strictly for tax purposes. If you don't have it you don't have to pay taxes when you work. That also means that you don't get CPP or any EI benefits. It's also not an identity card which means no one ever has to ask for it to know who you are, I'm sure that's probably well known though.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff