Swine Flu!
  Yay!
  Oh noes....
  Just regular flu for me, please!
  OH GOD MY BODY ACHES, LET ME DIE!
View Results

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 pm
Anyone else gotten the flu this year? They're not even bothering to test to see if what I have is H1N1 or not, either way it means 7 days off work. I'm gonna be SOL for rent this month, more than likely.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:57 pm
I heard that the swine flu isn't even as bad as the normal flus. Plus this one doesn't affect older people and children as badly as normal ones do.

What the hell is the big hoopla about this one then?  

God-Raped-Me

Koneko Midoria

7,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Trust me.
Normal flu kills more than this swine flu.

I had it, wasn't bad.
Lasted a heck of a long time [ 3 - 4 weeks ].
I had to get retested and retested before I could go back to school.

Yet, on the other hand.
A sophomore passed away here because of it.
I knew her she had prior health complications before she got the swine flu though.

Babies / Toddlers, Elderly, Health Complications and Unhealthy Immune system people should be wary.
Just like with the normal flu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:35 pm
I had a flu shot as I do every year, so I shouldn't get that at least. I'm not really worried about the swine flu. If I get it, I'm sure I'll be fine. Although since it's pretty contagious I'd feel bad if I got anyone else sick....  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm
I hear that they put MSG in the vaccines or some form of it is used.

>_>

I haven't had the flu, ever (in recent memory) or a flu shot (in recent memory).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 pm
I'm more angry that I have to miss a week's worth of work than the fact that I ache like hell. Making rent might be tough this month.

Trish the Stalker

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 pm
Jaft
I hear that they put MSG in the vaccines or some form of it is used.

Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and MSG~

Shut up and eat! Too bad no bon appetit!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:21 pm
Ah, hamthrax. Bacon fever. Pork 'n' puke. Pigprickles. ^_^  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:51 pm
God-Raped-Me
I heard that the swine flu isn't even as bad as the normal flus. Plus this one doesn't affect older people and children as badly as normal ones do.

What the hell is the big hoopla about this one then?

The initial fear was that swine flu was a descendent of the strain that caused the Spanish flu and that one was pretty freakin' deadly so I can kinda understand why scientists and stuff were like '...oh s**t' at first. But now that it's been shown to be pretty damn weak, I don't know why folks still obsess over it. I think it's probably because most people don't realize that the word 'pandemic' has no bearing on how deadly the disease is >.> It just means that it's spread pretty much all over. And yeah, the seasonal flu kills more than this one has and most of the ones that died are immunocompromised anyway.

I've had the seasonal flu before (it was quite a few years back though) and I hated it. Turned me into a zombie and everything. I'm sick right now actually, but it's not the flu (no fever and stuff).

Get well soon La Belle. Lots of rest and all that, y'know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm
H1N1 is far more transmittable and likely to mutate though... it can move through people and pigs, and theoretically birds as well.

Trish the Stalker

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:48 pm
I've never bothered to have a flu shot before and I've never had the flu. My immune system isn't fantastic but it's fairly good. I'm not worried about swine flu and I, personally, do not feel compelled to get a H1N1 vaccination unless my doctor advises me to.

It's a shame that you have to miss so much work though. Try to rest up and get well soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 pm
"Swine Flu" is nastier form of the flu but the numerous strains of the flu we are already accustomed to has wider exposure so of course more people die from it.

If you do manage to become infected with the swine flu then you should go to a doctor.  

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

Catalog Cats

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 am
Worst thing I've gotten this year is a mild cold. Bit of a stuffy nose, coughing in the mornings, all gone by lunchtime.
Pretty normal for me.
I spend most of my time by myself, so I'm not exposed to as many germs as everyone else.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:56 am
The only time I ever got the flu was the same year I got the stupid flu shot. I don't believe in flu shots. I think they are what is causing the flu to mutate every year. It has to mutate in your body, after you have the flu shot, to make you sick so no shots for me.

I was listening to the radio last month when they were talking about the swine flu and the hosts(hehe hosts) asked if people should get this years flu shot. The person, one of the health directors in this area, didn't give a straight answer. Instead she paused with um's and uh's and then said that we should do what the health board tells us to. You know what, I'm going to do what I feel is best, and in my experience NOT getting the shot is best!  

God-Raped-Me

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 am
A virus would mutate regardless of whether or not someone got a shot for it. The strand would eventually come across a body that would defend against it and mutate to survive.

I got the flu pretty much every year as a kid. But ever since I started getting flu shots every year, I've never had the flu.

I don't think choosing to not get the shot is a bad thing, but I also don't think getting one is doing any damage, either.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff