Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:26 pm
I'll paint you mornings of gold,
I'll spin you Valentine evenings...

Back story: My uncle came to town last night and requested my father and I go out to dinner with him and my grandmother (both of the mens' mother). My father didn't go, so that left me. While on the way to the restaurant, my uncle began discussing with me the decisions I'm making and the direction I'm heading in (nothing bad, let me assure you).

The biggest topic was college and going into the military. As a side discussion, we talked about careers and what sort of path would be good for me. He said if I pursued college a bit longer and got the required amount of credits to enlist as an officer instead of a grunt (as he put it), it would be better for me so I wouldn't have to work so hard. He said that I should look into getting a student loan, that (being a college teacher himself) they're selling like hotcakes.

I told him I would look into it. From what I hear, I wouldn't have to pay the loan back until I was done with school. I'm not totally sure on how they work.

Also, I'm in a rut because, the way my uncle was talking to me filled me up with so much hope that I felt I could instantly accomplish what I wanted in life. It also scared me because I felt I had make a choice right then and there. I understand that I don't. I'm a pessismist when it comes to reality and I told myself in my head, "Oh yeah right, it can't be that simple."

I'm currently trying to get my hands on a job so I have a little extra money to pay for a bunch of miscellaneous classes. I'm limited to where I can take my classes because I don't have transportation. I have a hard enough time scrounging money for the bus fare.

So, in part, this thread is asking the ATG for help and the other for a boost in motivation/inspiration/college, whatever.

Ready, here comes the airplane!:
Getting into college
Choosing careers
Getting a job
Public transportation
Whatever

Though we're strangers till now,
We're choosing a path between the stars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 am
I didn't have to start paying my college loans until six months after I graduated. But it probably depends on what loans you have. My mom's parent loans for me started payments earlier than mine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with everything looking like a simple plan. Having direction is a good thing, even if you decide later down the line that it's not what you want or it isn't working out quite as well as you hoped. Live in the now as they say!

Does your school post anything on setting up a carpool? Maybe you can find other students to hitch a ride with that may not cost as much as the bus? Even if you can't help with the carpooling, you could chip in for gas or something.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 am
I understand that you're uncle is helping and giving you his opinion, but in situations that effect your life and the outcome of your life, you need to think about what YOU want to do. If this suggestion is something that you want to do then I say go for it. Look into everything you need and grab this opportunity by the balls! If you're feeling in any way "False" over this don't do it. The biggest piece of advice I can give people is to trust what their gut tells them!

All through high school they push you into a direction, they make you choose what you want to do for the rest of your life. I could never decide. When I finished school I still didn't know what I wanted to do. I played with the thought of so many different careers, but none of them seemed right to me. Until I had both Lydia and Guin in my life. I loved teaching them new things, watching them learn from me, and knowing that it was me teaching them, it was like a smack in the face for me. I was meant to be a teacher. For whatever reason I forgot that I love to teach skating as well. It took GTR going away and me wanting something to do with my days to finally apply for the course and college I want, but I've done it.

Now I'm waiting on them, irony!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 am

My uncle is one of the few people I can talk to concerning college: my parents never went to college. Heck, my mom didn't even graduate high school. So, my connections are limited.

Everyone keeps telling me to do what I want. It's deciding what I want to do that's the hard thing. My uncle was telling me that I'm good with art and that I can speak Japanese. He let loose all the possiblities that could open up for me if I went into the tourism business or worked for the hotels (in Las Vegas, that's it own separate degree).

My parents don't want me going into the military simply because I'm their only child. It's really nerve-wracking and irritating that they gripe on about that. My dad, not so much, but my mom's whacko. I feel that I keep stalling with the military, that I keep stepping away from the pool when I'm about reading to jump in because I see this little bit of hair float across the water (or some such lame metaphoric simlie... thing).

I want to take my time with things and yet I want to grab everything and use it.

My uncle also mentioned a car. I don't have a job, so I can't get a car. If/When I do get my lisence to drive, the car insurance is going to skyrocket and again, I don't have a job to help contribute to that. So, unless I have one of my parents invest in a 30-day bus pass for me, I'm limited on where I can go.

*Sighs.* Can someone wave a magic wand and make the decision for me? sweatdrop

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 am
Personally I'm not a fan of military anything, I would go with something in the travel industry then. A car is a bit out of your reach it seems right now considering you don't have your license. When you want your license get that then worry about the car, drive mommy and daddy's car a bit first, lower insurance rate.

Take your time, but learn about all of it! Do you want something with a high income? Do you want something where you're always around people? Do you want something where you're in the service industry? Maybe you want something like a social worker. Learn then leap!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 am

I ran everything by my mom. She pretty much said not to rush into anything, to think about it some more.

I was talking on Facebook to Xik that I didn't want to get a degree that I can't do anything with. I've had so many people tell me that, that it wouldn't do my any good because what could I do with an art degree if I wanted to go into hotel management? It's really heart-crushing to have someone tell you that your dreams are worthless.

I still have my dad to talk to. I'm hoping I can get some more opinions from you guys in the next couple of days.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:21 am
It's like I told you earlier, sweetheart, just take your time, weigh out all your options, and you've always got me to talk to about things.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 am
You know, you don't need a degree to do something artsy. Plus if you want to take it just so you learn more there's nothing wrong with that ever. As long as it's valuable to you and you're proud of what you did it'll never be worthless! That is something that not many people understand these days!  

God-Raped-Me

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:40 am

The great thing about college is that I can go for an B.A. in Arts with an emphasis on a language. :3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am
See already you've found a way to make it valuable to yourself! 3nodding  

God-Raped-Me

redfoxgreeneyes13

Beloved Shapeshifter

14,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:14 am
getting an education is always a good thing.but be carful about joining the millitary. sure they pay for schooling but is it worth ending up on a battle feild?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 am

I think I've been given the advice I need from a friend. He said it would be a heck of a lot easier for me to get a loan, take my lower division classes at the community college and then take my higher up classes at the university.

Also, he mentioned something about testing out of class, that if I know enough, I can get the credit without having to take the class.

EDIT: I talked to my dad abou what was going on and he said that him and mom would try and help me out as best as they could. So, essentially, I pay for everything myself and they just tip me every now and again.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:10 am
Doesn't the military cover your education expenses though?

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:59 am

They do, but in order to qualify for the G.I. Bill, I have to have 4 years of active duty under my belt. It wouldn't pay off for me in the long run, so.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:46 am
Talk to your recruiter. There are officer programs that give you scholorships and then put you in the officer program.

ROTC at schools is also an option just talk to your recruiter and see what he can give you. The sooner you talk the better, and remember there are options  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff