Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm
So...things have happened. No, not like THAT!

I'm with a guy. That's not really news. But it is serious. OK, no one cares about that. But he asked me if I'd consider moving to be with him in a couple years. The real issue isn't the move so much as the potential career change. He thought I might want to go back to school to be a teacher...I don't really think I'll go down that road again. Or I could go to school for nursing as I'm currently working in health care. Maaaaybeee. Or I could work for the business he's planning on starting. Which I'm considering. Mind you he hasn't told me the details of the business, he just wrote to me and asked if I'd consider it. I presume it is probably going to be legal/automotive/sports related as those are his biggest interests. He'll tell me more later, but I like guessing. Anyway, I kind of know what options I have; customer service/web design/advertising.

Basically, I am thinking I'd rather work with him so we could have more time together (I've worked in a start up company before, and know the hours that go into those things). I have the experience. I know how to run background checks, hire/fire employees, train new hires, order supplies, work a website (except I can't make online order forms), payroll, and so forth.

The dilemma is that there is no way to know what this will mean for finances. This is a concern. I really don't want to have to work two jobs to support us. I can do it, I have before, it just sucks. I could just work full time as an MA still, and help out for him here and there when I can...then when things are more secure quit and work for him full time.

Anyway, I tend to run a lot of "what if" scenarios about these things. I know what I want to do, but I'm not convinced it is the best choice. I have time to decide, but I need advice.

What do you think? Should I play it cautious, or take a chance?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Well really, I'd say before you could make any informed decision you should find out more about this business he's going into. Find out what it really is, how well it will do, etc. I mean, I'm sure you actually know more than you've said but just from the first post it sounds like he just has an idea he may try and that's it.

Either way, you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where he's financial dependent on you AT ALL. Too often that turns real bad real quick. Don't think you should have to have two jobs so he can live his dream. Not so soon anyway. Support him and get him to a place where his business can support him fully before investing your own time and money into it.

You should each work hard for yourselves and when things become stable then you can work (and live) together much more securely and happily.

My two cents, anyway.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 am
Gotta say I agree with what Waku said. So, I'll just wish you the best of luck, Thal smile  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games