Reply Community Lounge
Immune Boosting Foods! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:31 am
Regardless of whatever sicknesses are out there, fall and winter seasons always bring a cold or two. I'll admit that I looked into this because I don't want to get this flu shot and I won't subject my children to it either, however I do want myself and my children to be safe and figured, "Well we eat lets see if there are things we can eat that will boost our immune system". There seems to be tones of foods that will do that for you, I haven't come across a list of foods however I have come across a list of vitamins and minerals that are in foods. Now whether you knew about these food already or not is not the point here. The point is to share your knowledge with the rest of the guild members so we can all try to be as healthy as we can/want to be.

What I would like to do is comprise a list of foods that have these boosters in them as I'm sure we all know of different foods with these.

Vitamin C:
It seems almost all fruits contain this!

Vitamin E:
Almonds
peanuts, and peanut butter
Mazola and Parkay margarine.
Soybean, sunflower and vegitable oil

Beta-carotene:
Broccoli
Carrots
Spinach
Yams
Most squashes
cantaloupe/musk mellon

Zinc:
Fish
Poultry
Red meat
Peas
Beans
Nuts
Whole grain foods
Dairy

Omega-3 fats:
Flaxseeds
Fish
Cauliflower, broccoli
Romain lettuce
Oregano

Garlic is a great booster as are most other spices

STAY AWAY FROM:
High-fat, high-sugar junk foods
Caffeine
Smoking

I'm a walking bio-hazard apparently xd

Please feel free to share recipes, tell me some of the foods that I have missed, or if I've missed out on something entirely let me know! Thanks to everyone who helps!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:34 am
RECIPES

Meatloaf with a garden salad side - Submitted by GRM

3lbs ground beef
2 cups bread crumbs
3 eggs
1tbsp curry powder
1/2 clove diced garlic

Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1tsp curry powder
1tsp ground cumin

Salad:
Carrots
Romaine lettuce
bell peppers
cucumber
celery
cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the ingredients to make the meatloaf, shape into loaves and put into a bread pan(or whatever you like to use), put in the oven, start making glaze. When the meat no longer looks red(looked gray to me) pull them out and put the glaze on top then back in the oven it goes. Cook until internal temp is around 150-170F.

For the salad use as much or as little as you want. With the cheese I just dice it up. I prefer julienne carrots but it doesn't matter. Enjoy!  

God-Raped-Me

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 pm
Kals is questing again!
They're reall pushing vitamin D right now. The best way to get it is to expose the skin to direct sunlight (hard to do when the sun is only up from about 7:30-4:30) but it's also usually added to milk, at least in Canada.

Check sig for details!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:01 am
I just read the cartons of soy milk that we have and it looks like a good source of everything!

Vitamin D does help the immune system but everywhere I looked said it's first function, or what we really need it for, is bone growth and maintenance. I find it odd that they would be pushing that one instead of something vitamin C or something else.  

God-Raped-Me

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 am
Carbonated pop leeches calcium from your bones.

Calcium is found in all kinds of milk and cheese products, tofu, lots of beans, almonds, sesame seeds, cabbage/bok choy, broccoli, okra, oranges and apparently instant oats.

Calcium fortified orange juice is great.

Not that it's necessarily immune-boosting but it makes you feel way better.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 am
*is going to snap in 2 when she's 30*

Dammit, I love pop! Also did you know it's possible to have a calcium overdose?  

God-Raped-Me

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 am
I eat toooons of veggies and whole grains and also drink tooooons of soda.

So I, uh...balance myself out. Yeeeeah.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:59 am
I'll paint you mornings of gold,
I'll spin you Valentine evenings...

@Waku: Lol! I used to say the same thing about myself: I drink enough milk to outweigh how much soda I drink. whee

Lately, though, whenever I drink soda, I get this sharp pain in my shoulder and it won't go away for another day. Soda water doesn't cause it, so if I want a fizzy drink, I have to walk down to the corner store and grab a little of it.

Though we're strangers till now,
We're choosing a path between the stars.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:27 am
I strongly believe carbonation is addictive! I can't go a day without some sort of carbonated drink. It's really bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 am
Mm, yes. I love the bubbly-ness.

And I also just really like something dark and cold. Clear sodas don't do the trick quite as well.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm
Waku, do you like Coffee's and such?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:05 pm
Waku, in Canada it's illegal for them to put caffiene in clear pop. Maybe that's why ??

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

Trish the Stalker

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:22 pm
God-Raped-Me
Waku, do you like Coffee's and such?

I dun like coffee.... I drink some tea, but only hot. No iced tea and no coffee of any sort.

@ Trish - Mm, I don't think it's really the caffeine. A caffeine-free root beer hits that spot far more than a Sprite does for me. It might be a subconscious thing, though. Like, I can drink a caffeine-free coke and feel more awake because it's like I tricked my brain into thinking it was getting a stimulant without actually giving it anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:34 pm
Maybe you just like how heavy it is then waku, I thought it was going to be a caffeine thing. *shrugs*  

God-Raped-Me

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:46 pm
Thickness could be it. Like...soothing for the throat. Even if mine doesn't hurt... whee  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff