Reply Community Lounge
Letters! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matrias Fierno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:52 pm
I know that quite a while ago there was a thread suggesting correspondence between ATG members. I did not give my address out at the time, but in my Creative Writing class we were made to write a letter, and I wrote it to you guys, and thought it would be cool if I could send it.

My thought is that letters are more personal, and can make your day, better than any fast communication.

Now, this IS the internet. So if you're under eighteen (like me) or uncomfortable with posting your address, but would still like to receive letters, send it to a few people via IM. I like to think that we have a nice trust going on with most of the members here.

Discuss:
Letters
When's the last time you got a letter written personally to you?
Are letters more personal than the internet? Should we send more of them or let the practice disappear in this fast-paced world?
Is apple pie not the GREATEST pie ever?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:05 pm
Hmm... Well I get letters from school frequently. Mostly major announcements that they feel snail mail is necessary for. They aren't personal, they're just mass printed documents. I'mma keep my address withheld.

Letters used to be personal. People kept them when they were tangible and handwritten. In some cases as cherished memories, though I'm talking renaissance era and before postal system. They seem much more personal than now your screen display Click the little trash can to delete it if you don't need it system we have here in the information superhighway. I don't think there's much left saving letters in the future though. Paperbound text in general might go the way of the dinosaurs in a century.

Last, Boston Cream pie or nothing.  

Phaeton 2

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:10 pm
I treasure my letters, actually. smile

And apple is indeed awesome, but hardly the only quiver in the arsenal. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:19 pm
Letters, keepsakes of the past and great reminders if your memories don't last. ;3  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:28 am
I would love to write letters to other guild members, however I have troubles finding the time to write to GTR let alone others. I feel it would be unfair to have people write to me and be unable to write to others. I do like the idea as letters cheer everyone up!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 am
I...I had something to say on letters, but now all I want is apple pie. GOD I love apple pie....  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:13 pm
If it didn't cost money for stamps and if I had better handwriting, I'd probably send letters more frequently. As it stands, I never write >.>
However, I do know how exciting it can be to get a letter in the mail. smile

Over the summers growing up, I went to stay with my grandmother who lives in Georgia, while all my friends were in Texas. So, we'd agree to write each other over the summer. Just about every day I looked forward to the mailman coming by. My friends never did write to me though. Assholes stare  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm
D'8

Your story makes me sad, Ala!

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Oops...makes me laugh actually ...guess I was relying too much on schadenfreude lol  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:44 pm
I think schadenfreude would only work with me if I was receiving a letter and seeing you not receiving one... xd

But no, I'm just imaging a child waiting happily for a letter that never comes... emo

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:47 pm
Ah I see lol Well, no worries. It was long ago and only makes me feel a mixture of agitation and amusement now xp
Shouldn't have chosen such lazy people as my friends is all xp  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Curse those lazy friends!  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Joy Uchiha

8,225 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:20 pm
Yes i think that getting letters through your box is more personal then the internet. In my case, i get very excited over mail in the letter box because someone left some time to write with pen and paper, got off their butts and payed for the postage (and thank god not internet slang. example: smile omg! etc...etc.)Whereas when i get mail through e-mail it's mostly updates to my favourite websites and i usually already checked them already (also maybe it's because i get more Spam in e-mails then i do in my box HaHa)

The last letter i got, was from a PenPal from the States. My birthday is coming up and she sent a present and a card in a package (yes i have met her,here in Canada).

I believe that writing letters should never be forgotten. We should take the time to send more letters then e-mails because letters remind us to slow down in our fast paced world and take the time to talk to friends,family from far far away

P.S. Yes i think Apple pie is the best (CINNAMON! *drool*)  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:32 pm
I've never gotten a personal letter except for birthday cards, myself.

And yes, there are other pies. However, apple is amazing. On the seventh day, God didn't rest. He made apple pie. biggrin  

Matrias Fierno

Joy Uchiha

8,225 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:41 pm
ah, now i know why it tastes great  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash