Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm
How would you deal with people?

Work related situation:

This morning I started work on a moulding machine (we cut wood into shapes and then store it for usage later), and got a collegue to "help" me.

The term help is loose as it seemed afterwards that my boss was seeing both my capabilities to teach as well as this kids capability to listen.

The situation was that I had to tell him how to stack the wood, not a problem as everyone has to learn at some point and he hadn't been working at that part for to much in the past anyway, but when I had corrected the stack 5 or 6 times and told him off for it at the latest point things got difficult.

*Note: I was not harsh I simply reexplained in a stricter tone as he was making work difficult for me, and I was limited to the pace of the machine*

as I was telling him how to stack the final time before I finished the work, he went into tears which he was holding back hard and said "I can't tackle pressure".
This guy does military training twice a week, and compared to my work place is supposed to be the one of the more capable people.
(there are a lot of handicapped people at my workplace).

I got annoyed but didn't bring it up till I was talking to my boss, my boss was pleased with my way of handling my collegue and admitted that he had the same problem with the kid the previous day.

so my question at the end of all this is:
what do you say to these people, if anything at all?
Do you just ignore and avoid them?
is it probable that they have a brain dysfunction that nobody is aware of?
how would you react to this kind of situation?

Discuss: anything relevant.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:03 am
I know I've already told you how I deal with issues like that, but I would still just ignore them. I'm not a conflict person in the workplace. I would probably gently tell them over and over what they were doing wrong. I do wonder however if there are a bunch of retarded people over there though.

Edit: Then again I really do confine myself to my house and mayhaps I don't get to observe all the retarded people around here as well.... Hmm. Considering the fact some b***h was texting on her cell while driving and drifted into my lane nearly making me go nose first into the ditch while narrowly missing me makes me reconsider my previous statement......  

God-Raped-Me

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:13 am
As an emloyer they like to see you getting involved with the workplace, and the way you handled it sounded like you managed the situation appropriately. Some people are just idiots, and working with them is hard, let alone working civilly.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 am
True but having to tell someone multiple times how to do things in detail, and then seeing them make the same mistake again.
there has to be something more then just pure stupidity, I can't find myself to believe he has a sane mind and not a dysfunctional mind like many of the others.  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am
Maybe he's on drugs? *shrug*
Sounds like you did a good job though. As for how I'd handle it, probably I'd do the same as Grim. I usually try to avoid conflict.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:00 pm
You did much better than i would have... all my bosses have eventually learned to leave my alone and let me work by myself.... im more efficient that way...

and Drugs!? where!? can i have some???.........

I miss hal..... emo  

Agent_of_Misfortune

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 pm
Agent_of_Misfortune
You did much better than i would have... all my bosses have eventually learned to leave my alone and let me work by myself.... im more efficient that way...

and Drugs!? where!? can i have some???.........

I miss hal..... emo

As efficiant as I can be working alone there are times when everyone needs to have help, in this case I didn't but the other guy needed to learn how to use the machine.
Everybody needs to learn.
he says he doesn't want to learn the machine so I think he likely is slightly scared of the machine as one of our other employees are, however the second guy almost cut two fingers of (his fault, he got lazy on safety) and has a reasonable excuse to be afraid, though he needs to get over it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:58 pm
I love your attitude towards other people Shram!  

God-Raped-Me

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:59 am
Thanks I think xP  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash