4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 am
Discuss:
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:36 am
Well, yes but we can certainly "speed things up". I do believe in Global Warming and I do believe we have caused and are still causing much damage to the Earth in the "little time" we have been here.  

Aria Hikari

7,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 am
Aria Hikari
Well, yes but we can certainly "speed things up". I do believe in Global Warming and I do believe we have caused and are still causing much damage to the Earth in the "little time" we have been here.

Speeding things up is still saying that we are going towards the same incidents as before. only faster. xP
On other news, coldest winter in years in multiple locations of the northern world.... global warming?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:46 am
Well here is the big problem we have only been keeping record of weather patterns for a very short period of time, ergo we can only see a small area of a bigger picture.

We are messing with the natural balance of the planet and that will have bad consequences. Saying that global warning does not exist, etc is the same thing as saying I'm going to smoke and drink and keep up the most unhealthy diet and blame the natural world when I'm in the hospital for multiple preventable disorders.

We are undeniably leading a very wasteful existence and it needs to be changed for our own health if for nothing else.
(not being self righteous either ._. got a lot of bad habits myself)

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:54 am
Elcia
Well here is the big problem we have only been keeping record of weather patterns for a very short period of time, ergo we can only see a small area of a bigger picture.

We are messing with the natural balance of the planet and that will have bad consequences. Saying that global warning does not exist, etc is the same thing as saying I'm going to smoke and drink and keep up the most unhealthy diet and blame the natural world when I'm in the hospital for multiple preventable disorders.

We are undeniably leading a very wasteful existence and it needs to be changed for our own health if for nothing else.
(not being self righteous either ._. got a lot of bad habits myself)

never said we weren't wasteful and don't need to start helping the world more, but global warming is not the reason we need to recycle and use cars aand stuff less.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:00 am
Oh well that is true but you know how well "clean up your act, its the right thing to do" goes over with people.
rolleyes

It's like, if we don't have some goal or achievement or award to work toward then there is no motivation.
And if you can plaster a great big old symbolic cause on your advertisement campaign your chances of success are greater. Or at least all the "studies" suggest that.

It's like the organic talk. I grow tomatoes in the back yard, and we are no farmers and do preciously little for them besides water them. If that's all the organic farmers are doing, no expensive chemicals etc., why are they nearly twice the price.
Because that coined word rakes in money. -_- To a certain extent the same goes for "global warming"

We are changing the planet and apparently warming it to the point of disrupting weather patterns, but global warming is not the end all and be all of our problems. It's just one of the effects of our actions combining with all sorts of other factors that is intern causing other problems.  

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 pm
Elcia
Oh well that is true but you know how well "clean up your act, its the right thing to do" goes over with people.
rolleyes

But isn't that exactly what we are doing? Clean your act cus its right for the world to not go wrong.

Elcia
It's like, if we don't have some goal or achievement or award to work toward then there is no motivation.
And if you can plaster a great big old symbolic cause on your advertisement campaign your chances of success are greater. Or at least all the "studies" suggest that.

you are right we need a cause but the cause can't be an excuse to not give further info eg : Why do we do this? Global warming. but why? because global warming. what is global warming? its global warming destroying earth.
what we need is to push info on why we need to clean up our act, for example: Lack of oil, over hunting certain animals (less good food), destroying local habitats for rubbish thereby destroying animals we don't even hunt.

Elcia
It's like the organic talk. I grow tomatoes in the back yard, and we are no farmers and do preciously little for them besides water them. If that's all the organic farmers are doing, no expensive chemicals etc., why are they nearly twice the price.
Because that coined word rakes in money. -_- To a certain extent the same goes for "global warming"
Organic farming on large scale means checking it more, being in the field doing stuff and putting manure on it. its more work when feeding many people, not so much when only feeding yourself and only because its nice now and then with fresh tomatoes.

Elcia
We are changing the planet and apparently warming it to the point of disrupting weather patterns, but global warming is not the end all and be all of our problems. It's just one of the effects of our actions combining with all sorts of other factors that is intern causing other problems.

Disruptive weather patterns have always been a problem, before we did anything industrial to this earth, the world isn't static and has been changing for... millions of years?
Warming the planet is not something we are doing to the extent of which is being shown, we are helping it but we are not doing it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:15 pm
I don't disagree that the planet's climate changes on its own, sometimes drastically.

I do think we need to take climate change (yes, climate change, not "global warming") seriously and try to be as prepared as possible, though.
Whether it's a change brought on by mankind or whether it's just the Earth doin' its natural thing, either way, there are millions of people who will be affected if the global climate changes. Look at all the coastal communities. *shrug*  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm
There may be just a comic strip in the first post, but this is really meant for IDD, man.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:31 pm
ok we all know that industrialising is pouring CO2 into the air thats causing all the problems with all the gasses mixing killing the ozone. well that was proven not exactly true by science. but we have proven that because of our actions that we are speeding up a natural cycle of the earth. but has anyone actually thought about why this is a cycle? we all know everything has its natural systems to take care of its own issues like for instants our bodys if we have something that shouldnt be in our bodys , viruses and stuff like that, our body has natural ways to get rid of them well I believe that this is the same thing the earth is doing. now we know that before the earths issues have been known to kill off THOUSANDS of diffrent species. we also know that animals naturally produce things like CO2 and gasses to like the study of how cows farting and producing waste was just enough to cause issues well if the population increases so high that every living organisms producing waste thats producing the gasses thats causeing these issues then humans have there technology making it just move SO much faster. that means that while yes it would happen to level out the poplation of living organisms on earth regardless. Its also proving that we are speeding it up burning all the unrenewable resources and burning threw all the things that have been stored deep in the earth threw naturally threwout thousands of years so we are speeding things up and posibly making things worse from speeding things up as much as we are so yes we have to clean up our act but the problem is is the world was build on a nonfullproff theory anyway thats why everyones freaking out because we are running out of oil we have been built up as a world not just a country to use nonrenewable resources that we cant really do a whole lot about cleaning up our act till we have the technology because face it we have adapted to if we didnt have technology most humans would be usless and erupt into a war

this is my theory on the object but not proven so naturally how it goes sorry for spelling errors and grammer ahead of time  

Natroknight91

8,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am
Shram

Speeding things up is still saying that we are going towards the same incidents as before. only faster. xP

And you don't think that's a problem?

Plants and animals can often adapt to changes. The problem is that we are changing the climate so fast that plants and animals are not able to adapt. That means we're losing species at an alarming rate, probably much more than we would if the Earth changed on its own. That's the problem. Because it means it's our fault if an animal dies because it couldn't adapt because we made things go too fast.

Shram
On other news, coldest winter in years in multiple locations of the northern world.... global warming?

Like Taeryyn said, "climate change" is the preferred term. Because while many places are warming up, not all are.

Shram
what we need is to push info on why we need to clean up our act, for example: Lack of oil, over hunting certain animals (less good food), destroying local habitats for rubbish thereby destroying animals we don't even hunt.

We do push info on all of those things. In fact, just last month I volunteered to hand out condoms for the Center for Biological Diversity to raise awareness about human overpopulation and what it does to animal populations. I get emails all the time about critical animal populations. There are entire tv shows devoted to those things. Bill Nye often talks about habitat destruction, water pollution, and more. So if you're only hearing about climate change specifically and not any of that other stuff, you're probably just not getting information from a wide enough variety of sources. Because the info is certainly out there.

Bottom line, most research suggests that climate change is very real and at least partially impacted by humans. We know certain things are bad for the Earth, usually for many reasons (whether climate change, deforestation, loss of habitat, extinction, human health issues, etc.). So it doesn't necessarily matter what reason(s) you focus on, as long as you have one, recycle, reduce, compost, reuse, etc.  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games