Reply Community Lounge
Introducing: The Parfait-Ole!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm
Well, I guess it's not really an introduction, considering nobody in IRC, nor I, have been able to imagine what it is. Essentially, the challenge is to figure out how to incorporate onions in a parfait setting where the term parfait would actually be appropriate to describe the food. The problem I'm running into is, in French usage, a Parfait is a syrup made with simple syrup, egg, and cream; while an American Parfait is a layered dessert usually made with gelatin, ice cream, whipped topping, and other things (Wikipedia: Parfait). Unless the onions are candied — and I think that would be disgusting — I can't see it working.

So… What does the ATG think of the Parfait-Ole, Taco Bell's new dessert offering (thanks, Tae, for the idea)? How will it look? How will it taste? How about some other ideas for food dishes that are intriguing enough to give a try?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm
The fact that it's Taco Bell clarifies one thing for me, it will taste like s**t and give me diarrhea no matter what... I has no love for the Bell. With that said I seriously have this idea in my head now of like a regular parfait (american version) sprinkled with candied onions instead of granola on top... and now I've grossed myself out.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 am
Uh...bwuh?

You say parfait and onions...all I think of is Shrek.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 am
Kals is questing again!

Waku: that's basically how the idea came to be, with a couple of steps in between.

Sanzo: Taco Bell is indeed scarynasty and disgusting. And.... Parfait with... GRANOLA?! on top? I have never heard of such a creature. In my land, it generally consists of sponge cake soaked in jello which has then been set, layered with pudding and whipped cream or cool whip and possibly some custard or pie filling, and occasionally some fruit, topped with whipped cream or cool whip, possibly with fresh fruit or shaved chocolate on top, depending on the theme of the parfait.

That being said, I argued in the IRC that parfait does not have to be savoury, and that something like a layered salad featuring onions or a lasagna or other layered casserole would totally count.

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 am
I was confused until I saw the word "Taco Bell". Since most of their food induces instant diarrhea, I suppose it's only natural that they'd go one step further and simply serve it in a cup. crying "Taco Hell" is where the concept of food goes to die!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:58 am
Kalsie, it's becoming popular here to call layers of fruit, granola, and vanilla or plain yogurt parfaits, especially in more hip/granola/trendy/healthy places, and also in some fast food chains (McDonald's, for example).

It's actually funny because when you described your parfait, I immediately thought of a betty, but those two are nothing alike (a betty resembles bread pudding more than sponge cake). It sounds delicious, though I'm not the biggest fan of gelatin mixing with my dairy-dessert products. I'd probably eat it if it was just sponge cake without the gelatin.  

Sentama Lin

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm
"In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny...

...but I like Taco Bell...

...and each regret and each good-bye, was a mistake too great to hide"

User Image

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas