Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Preachers/Pastors

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it wrong to pay a preacher/pastor for teaching the word of God?
  Yes
  Depends
  No
View Results

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:24 am
This has gone through my mind a little bit and I wanted to know what you all thought about it. I enjoy to see others views on these questions?

1. Do you believe it is okay for preachers/pastors to receive pay for teaching the word of God? Even if they do it because they want to and not for money?

2. Do you believe that all the men in the church should take turns preaching a lesson and sharing the word of God?

3. What do you think about women who are motivational speakers or pastors?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:08 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

1. No, I do not think it is wrong.
2. When our Pastor is out of town we have other men speak the word. But mostly I think that it should just be the pastor speaking the word, because he is appointed by God for that job.
3. Women being motivational speakers and pastors are different. I think it is ok for women to motivate other women to live for the Lord. But women should not be pastors, because it is wrong. I believe there is a verse supporting that that I can't remember, but I do know that it is wrong.

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Fates Oblivion

Seasonal Leaf

12,175 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm
1. No
and for 2&3 Gender makes no diffrence as to who can be a pastor and teach the word.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 pm
The Real Mikuo Hatsune
1. No
and for 2&3 Gender makes no diffrence as to who can be a pastor and teach the word.

You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

2 had nothing to do with gender. The question was : "2. Do you believe that all the men in the church should take turns preaching a lesson and sharing the word of God?"
Not whatever you thought it said.

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

1. Do you believe it is okay for preachers/pastors to receive pay for teaching the word of God? Even if they do it because they want to and not for money?

A: I don't think it's wrong at all. Because not only are they preaching the word of God they take care of the church. It's really a full time job and they do need to be able to make a living some how.

2. Do you believe that all the men in the church should take turns preaching a lesson and sharing the word of God?

A:I believe that it's okay for Elders in the church to be able to give a lesson in the church but often times those men believe that it's the pastor/preacher's Job. We have a pastor emeritus that gives sermons at times too.

A: I've actually not heard or seen a woman share at a church before but I don't really have a problem with it. A woman can be just as Godly as a man.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

I think it's okay; if I had the means, I would pay them so that they can support themselves and their family. Some people use the gifts they've been given to work at a job; others use it the preach the Word of God, which is a very good job. :3

That would be nice in theory... but realistically, not everyone is a great speaker and not everyone would want to speak to the rest of the church. And there is nothing wrong with quietly listening either. The preacher was given his title because he is good at preaching, and since he's the best one for the job, he does it well. However, I do think it's important for others to contribute in a faithful discussion, especially in a Bible study or small-group session.

I kinda want to be a motivational speaker. :3
Also, there are verses in the Bible, especially from the apostles, saying that women shouldn't speak in church, etc. This stuff was written because the culture at the time didn't accept women speaking out in public; however, times have changed and it is more acceptable now. The apostles didn't want the Christian population having habits that were frowned upon in those days. They did mention that women can be just as faithful as men and can express their faith in other ways, however.

So now, since most people don't consider the idea of a woman speaker (secular or otherwise) to be offensive, there really is no harm done. It doesn't feel wrong at all.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 am
1. yes, one of my closest friends is a pastor, he is barely scraping by, he has 4 kids going on 5 and a wife to feed, he can't handle 2 jobs, lucky for him my church pays for house he can live in while he preaches, if it wasn't for my church he would be living on the streets

2. i would love to see that happen, though pastors go through seminary and from what my sister tells me (Shes friends with a pre-sem student in collage) they have to follow extra commandments, but i don't think everyone should preach in the church, it wouldn't work for large groups, bible study though..

3. no absolutely not, women should not speak in church, there are verses to back that up (A woman should not be the head over a man) once again bible study everyone should speak up because the only dumb question is the one that's not asked.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:01 am
My father is a youth pastor and I'm the head of the nursery at my church. We are both paid. We are paid for our time and most of the money we get we give it back to the church. The money my dad makes goes to buying snacks for the youth. I use it to buy toys for my kids. Not to mention tithing. Also you have to remember that time that is put into doing all the things for the church is time we could be paid at work. Not to mention the time you don't think about like the hours spent putting a lesson together. Also being called in the middle of the night for problems other people have.

Also different people have different gifts of the spirit. Everyone is not called to do the same thing or the body of Christ wouldn't work. Plus they must fulfill the standards that Paul lays down for a preacher in a church in the book of Timothy.

When it comes to women preachers it's against scripture to do so. In timothy Paul writes that a preachers and decons must be a MAN married to one wife.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

rosadria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:03 am
Aquatic_blue
This has gone through my mind a little bit and I wanted to know what you all thought about it. I enjoy to see others views on these questions?

1 - I don't think that I could be paid for it, unless I was in a college type setting. It just wouldn't feel right. My church has a smaller budget than what it takes for a man to have the most basic living wage. I don't want to take money away from the work that it could be doing, like feeding people or helping to send people on mission trips, etc. If it wasn't necessary for my survival, I'd pass on the check.

2 - No. Scripture tells us that new converts shouldn't be in positions of authority, lest they get proud and be lead astray by it. There are certain qualifications that a man must meet before he is allowed to teach in the church. Be married to only one wife, have children, be able to manage his household, and so on.

3 - I don't have a problem with women being motivational speakers. However, scripture tells us that they are not to have spiritual authority over a man. You also see in the list of qualifications that I mentioned that the elders, deacons, bishops have to be male. So, I am against women being preachers.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:43 pm
Aquatic_blue

No, I don't agree with paid clergy. Doing the work of the Lord should be some thing that you willingly do, not because you are getting a pay check.

Quote:
I don't see a problem with members of the congregation giving lessons. However, the one who is ordained of God should preside over the meetings (Bishop, Pastor, etc.)

Quote:

Women are great at being motivational speakers, an example would be Lisa Bevere! I love her! But I do not think that women should be pastors or leaders of the church congregation, because of what Paul has stated. (I don't remember the exact verse off the top of my head though.) It's against scripture.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces