Submit

Garynook

6,950 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am
What We Definitely Know

Here's the stuff that's explicitly stated in the press release.

- That a new handheld, called the Nintendo 3DS, will be released sometime during Nintendo's next financial year (Apr 2010 - March 2011).

- It will be capable of producing 3D graphics, without the need for 3D glasses.

- The 3DS will be backwards compatible with the entire line of Nintendo DS products.

- It will be properly revealed during the E3 trade show in Los Angeles, which will take place in June.

What We Think We Know

There are a few more details we can glean from the information above. This isn't confirmed, just stuff we suspect based on supporting evidence.

- The 3DS will feature 2 cameras (If it includes support for DSi software, it'll have to)

- It's an all-new line of hardware, not simply a new model of the DS. Despite having the letters "DS" in the name, it's a working title, and the use of terms like "backwards compatible" and the fact it's succeeding the "Nintendo DS series" sounds a lot like this is the first of Nintendo's next generation of handheld gaming devices.

- It'll use those cameras to track the movement of the handheld and/or the player. That movement will then be used to display the 3D effects, similar to the way recent DSi title 3D Hidden Picture handles things. In support of this, in an interview with a Japanese newspaper earlier this year, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said in relation to the company's next handheld "it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing".

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm
This could either be the most amazing handheld or it could suck and die. I'm not sure.
EDIT: Also, if the games suck, then 3D or not, I'll never touch it.  

The Timid Thinker

girl dinner

Popular Snack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm
I dunno. It really sounds too good to be true. I mean, is that possible for a hand held? It's crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 pm
Personally, I'm kind of doubting they'll release it in the next year. It doesn't seem like the kind of project that is doable in that short of time span, especially if it's brand-new hardware.

It seems like an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how developers will react to 3D gaming. I suppose the success of the 3DS will rely on the kinds of games that developers can come up with. As Sir Fancypants said, it could either be amazing or a flop. I'm hoping for the former, for Nintendo's sake.  

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

CrypticCat

Familiar Informer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 pm
TTATT
That pisses me off.
I JUST got my DSi...
This isn't that stupid thing that's pretty much a DSi but about an inch bigger, is it? >A>  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:01 pm
SpinelSama
TTATT
That pisses me off.
I JUST got my DSi...
This isn't that stupid thing that's pretty much a DSi but about an inch bigger, is it? >A>

No, that just came out. This is completely different.  

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Spaniard The Last Angel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 pm
"One small step for man..."

Amazing. A video game system will be the first of it's kind (technology) to be avilable to the public.

Though it's ironic that this would be for entertainment and not medical/research purposes, it still brings us forward into an already futuristic society.

Win or fail, the 3DS will be a breakthrough in not only gaming, but in technology altogther.

"...one giant leap for man-kind."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 pm
Kirei_chan
SpinelSama
TTATT
That pisses me off.
I JUST got my DSi...

No, that just came out. This is completely different.

Ah, okay, good. ;/
Meh, it's probably best to wait for reviews and stuff of this system before one buys it, anyway, no? More time to decide + More time to save monies = Good decision. =w=  

CrypticCat

Familiar Informer

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:02 am
it shows promise. The DSi would have made appropriate groundwork to produce this sort of system with a slight recoding on it.
I'd call it easily possible since they've already got a game or two that uses the camera to create a simple layering. But it's really just like moving a diorama into a few different angles.
It's possible if they included a gyroscope within the 3DS so that there is a base with an angle of a primary direction (such as north)
So, it's easily possible, and the graphics are almost high enough that they can use it effectively, it's at 64 graphic already.

Considering that it's got a release time of next year for japan, and that the groundwork would already be done with the DSi, I can see this happening. I just don't know how much they can put into that kind of game system.  
"TDX" Tails Doll X - Video-Gaming Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games