Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
temptations

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 pm
What do you do when faced with them?
I've been struggling a lot lately with a particular sin and wondered how you guys and gals deal with temptation.
Does a particular verse get you through it?
Constant prayer?
A thought about the awesomeness of Jesus?
A combination of things?
Share?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm
There really isn't an easy solution sometimes... of course God can help you out of anything, but sometimes He knows you have to go though trials and temptations to become stronger.

What it really comes down to is, do you trust God to get you out of it?

The answer to that might seem easy, but really trusting it in your heart is hard.
but,
"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." 1 Corinthians 10:13
I really love this verse, it helps me out a lot when I'm struggling.

Personally, I've been getting into some habits that are really taking me away from God's path... and I really needed to get back with Him.
At our Easter service at church our pastor was talking about how we don't have an unlimited time on this earth... our new series is called 30 Days To Live.
So, I'm taking the next 30 days to really devote myself to God and rid myself of this temptation. I'm kinda mini-fasting... not fasting per se but keeping myself from anything unnecessary. And I'm trying to live in a more godly way in everything I do, more positive attitude, being there for my friends, and just being more thankful for everything that God has provided me with, because I'm trusting in Him to provide for me.

I'm being mostly successful... xD
But I know the success I do have is thanks to God, and I'm happy about that.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

finalfantasyfreak1O1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 pm
Your not the only one struggling with a sin.
When I get tempted I just think of God and what he would think of me if I did let the temptation get me.
Once I was really tempted to do something and almost did but I yelled out telling Satan and his demons to leave me alone and asked God to help me.
It worked, I was so happy I was alone when I did that too.
I would have been so embarrassed if I yelled like that in public.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 pm
Saint Crazy S Requiem
There really isn't an easy solution sometimes... of course God can help you out of anything, but sometimes He knows you have to go though trials and temptations to become stronger.

What it really comes down to is, do you trust God to get you out of it?

The answer to that might seem easy, but really trusting it in your heart is hard.
but,
"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." 1 Corinthians 10:13
I really love this verse, it helps me out a lot when I'm struggling.

Personally, I've been getting into some habits that are really taking me away from God's path... and I really needed to get back with Him.
At our Easter service at church our pastor was talking about how we don't have an unlimited time on this earth... our new series is called 30 Days To Live.
So, I'm taking the next 30 days to really devote myself to God and rid myself of this temptation. I'm kinda mini-fasting... not fasting per se but keeping myself from anything unnecessary. And I'm trying to live in a more godly way in everything I do, more positive attitude, being there for my friends, and just being more thankful for everything that God has provided me with, because I'm trusting in Him to provide for me.

I'm being mostly successful... xD
But I know the success I do have is thanks to God, and I'm happy about that.
I love that verse too. I also like Hebrews 2:18
for since He Himself was tested and has suffered, Hi is able to help those who are tested.

Good stuff.

Thank you for reminding me that it is a matter of trusting God to get me through it. I've been centering my prayers about this sin in a, "what can I do about it?" way. It's not about me, it's about God and letting Him into my life. Thanks :3

WoodSorrelWitch

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 pm
finalfantasyfreak1O1
When I get tempted I just think of God and what he would think of me if I did let the temptation get me.
Once I was really tempted to do something and almost did but I yelled out telling Satan and his demons to leave me alone and asked God to help me.
I never said I was the only one struggling. Hence why I asked a guild full of Christians for some advice.
God would still love you if you did give in.
Sometimes satan and his demons don't have to tempt us. Sometimes we do their job for us. They aren't always to blame for everything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:24 pm
PawzPrint
finalfantasyfreak1O1
I never said I was the only one struggling. Hence why I asked a guild full of Christians for some advice.
God would still love you if you did give in.
Sometimes satan and his demons don't have to tempt us. Sometimes we do their job for us. They aren't always to blame for everything.

That's true, but Satan is the big enemy here. He rules the world we live in; and his influence gets to us whether we realize it or not. That's not to say we don't make bad choices about it, but sometimes Satan tries to get into our heads and make us think things that we know are wrong. That's when it's okay to tell Satan off. It might sound a little weird to order Satan to get out, but Jesus has done it before, and God will surely be on your side.

And of course God still loves us even if we give in to temptation, but just imagine how He must feel...
Think about the person you love the very most. Your parents are a good example, but it can be anyone you have a relationship with, really...
If you did something that your parents didn't approve of, they could be angry, or hurt, or disappointed, because they know it's bad for you and they just want you to do what's best for you.
God feels that same way. He's not happy that you've turned away from him, and just thinking that my God might be disappointed in me... that's terrible, and it motivates me to do better, most definitely.
But He just wants us to come home, and He welcomes us with open arms when we do overcome our trials.
3nodding  

Saint Crazy The Follower

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 pm
Being tempted isn't a bad thing even Jesus was tempted. It's rather we give in to them that makes it bad. Paul says we must learn scripture so that we may test the spirits. If it is against scripture then you know that it is something God would want you to do. Also listening to the Holy Spirit will help you too. Just like how you can be moved by it to do sometime good it can move you so you know not to do it. Though the way it does that varies from person to person.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm
Saint Crazy S Requiem
That's true, but Satan is the big enemy here. He rules the world we live in; and his influence gets to us whether we realize it or not. That's not to say we don't make bad choices about it, but sometimes Satan tries to get into our heads and make us think things that we know are wrong. That's when it's okay to tell Satan off. It might sound a little weird to order Satan to get out, but Jesus has done it before, and God will surely be on your side.

And of course God still loves us even if we give in to temptation, but just imagine how He must feel...
Think about the person you love the very most. Your parents are a good example, but it can be anyone you have a relationship with, really...
If you did something that your parents didn't approve of, they could be angry, or hurt, or disappointed, because they know it's bad for you and they just want you to do what's best for you.
God feels that same way. He's not happy that you've turned away from him, and just thinking that my God might be disappointed in me... that's terrible, and it motivates me to do better, most definitely.
But He just wants us to come home, and He welcomes us with open arms when we do overcome our trials.
3nodding
Oh I know satan is a big enemy here. I tell him and his demons to get the heck away from me frequently. I just believe that sometimes we do their job for them. That's all.

And that's some good stuff you posted. I think I might use that for some of my own motivation too. :3  

WoodSorrelWitch

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:37 pm
gothic_black_rose
Being tempted isn't a bad thing even Jesus was tempted. It's rather we give in to them that makes it bad. Paul says we must learn scripture so that we may test the spirits. If it is against scripture then you know that it is something God would want you to do. Also listening to the Holy Spirit will help you too. Just like how you can be moved by it to do sometime good it can move you so you know not to do it. Though the way it does that varies from person to person.

Am I just really tired or should that be "...something God would not want you to do."?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:38 am
If you do accidentally stumble, you can always repent, and ask for forgiveness; I usually go to a church service and ask for help praying, I also read the bible, not just a certain scripture, but just overall favorite parts of the bible.

; ~; /not really helpful, sorry.  

ede stercum meum

Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces