Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:53 pm
Also called the Mormons, what do you think about them?
Do you think they are Christian?
What do you think of Joseph Smith?
Do you believe in modern revelation?
Discuss any parts of these or bring up other things that you believe.

I for one, love the LDS culture. You are not only taught to believe, but live religion. I believe that is key. How do you change the perception that Christianity is full of hypocrites, if you don't change your life and try to live a Christian life?
I have a deep reverence for Joseph Smith. He is a fascinating individual, and I hope to meet him in the afterlife. He had a deep love for the scriptures, God, and the calling he was given. What other man would bring all these things to pass, be persecuted constantly, and be tested constantly, but yet still die for what he believed in the very end.
I believe we all receive revelation for ourselves and I believe there is a prophet today receiving the word of God on a daily basis. I have a deep reverence for today's prophet, Thomas S. Monson. He is a powerful speaker, and very loving. You can tell that what he says comes straight from God.
If this church was a wolf in sheeps clothing, after you get close enough you would be able to smell the wolfs breathe, hear the growls of the wolf, etc. You cannot feel that in the LDS church. It is a deeply symbolic church, full of love and honesty.
Discuss  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 pm
well with all do respect to Mormons, I think that smith guy was drunk on that day, depending on modern revelation if you mean the return of God yes, anything else not quite sure. as for if they are Christian they worship the same God so i have to say yes as i do not know what else they believe in. As for me there are more Denominations that teach you must live the word and believe the word, in fact most churches do. I have to say that i have ever read the book of Mormon, I haven't met any Mormon's, and have never attended a Mormon church service. Just thought I'd say that so where clear.

PS: I only know that the smith guy found some tablets from God  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 am
I have met mormons who they themselves say they converted to Christianity when they left the mormon church. They talk about what it was like growing up in the church and they raised their kids in it even. I've had many conversations with them about it as well and they always say it's not Christian.

I've read some of the mormon bible, I used to own one and was visited by some. I have nothing against them or their beliefs but in my personal opinion it is not right for me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:37 am
faithful quenga
I have met mormons who they themselves say they converted to Christianity when they left the mormon church. They talk about what it was like growing up in the church and they raised their kids in it even. I've had many conversations with them about it as well and they always say it's not Christian.

I've read some of the mormon bible, I used to own one and was visited by some. I have nothing against them or their beliefs but in my personal opinion it is not right for me.

Just out of curiosity, what defines a Christian then?  

Someoneiknow

Seraphim6496

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 pm
You know what I think about the Mormon belief from the other thread. I honestly don't feel like typing all that again.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm
Si_Copathic
You know what I think about the Mormon belief from the other thread. I honestly don't feel like typing all that again.

That's fine, I figured I might as well make a discussion thread about the religion specifically. Obviously there is some severe misconceptions though about the church that you had brought up. A thread really clears up the lies and half truths associated with the church with regards to such things as
Polygamy
Eternal Marriage
Scripture
Revelation
Joseph Smith
etc.  

Someoneiknow

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:16 am
This puts my thought together perfectly. Make sure you watch the whole thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtq62XQ4jw

Yoou can't dispute facts and evidence that back up those facts.  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:20 pm
gothic_black_rose

Yea, I've seen this video and yes I can dispute those "Facts" and the "Evidence" presented in the video. Don't have time sit and watch an hour's worth of people trying to disprove the LDS religion today, but perhaps another time. Let's just say that it's been tried and it's failed. Because every time some one tries to disprove this Church, they take bits and pieces of truth, twist it and warp it so much, that the context of the doctrine is lost. And you know, the only reason why people leave the Church, deep down, it's selfishness. They didn't search hard enough, were expecting some thing else, read some anti crap about the church, didn't research enough, believed it, etc. etc. They then leave the church out of bitterness and then start spreading hate. It's disgusting to me to see how much hate and contempt is held up against this religion for no reason at all.

And there has been lots of evidence to show that the people, places, and events existed as described in the Book of Mormon. Just because those people from that video didn't find any does not mean it does not exist.

The reason why it is so hard to find evidence for the Book of Mormon is because of the location it took place in. Mesoamerica. The culture for the ancient Mesoamericans was if one city colapsed, then another was built right on top of it. So the current structures standing down there could be built upon many crumbled cities. Also historians and archealogists are having trouble finding thing down there because of looting, the thick, dense vegetation, and funding.

I do want to address the part where, in the video, they said that Jesus was born in Jerusalem...hmmm where is Bethleham located...near Jerusalem. So when you are talking to some one, who is thousands of miles away from those cities, you are going to choose the location that every one is most familiar with to describe an event. That's like me saying that I came from Denver, even though technically I was in Littleton....they are relatively close to one another, but every one is more familiar with Denver. The same goes for the prophet in the Book of Mormon talking about Christ's birth. Every one in the location he was at was more familiar with Jerusalem.

When it comes to translating some thing from another language to English or from English to another language, the translator tends to find words that are closest fitting to the exact translation. The Bible is full of those types of examples. So when the word horse appears in the Book of Mormon, it may or may not be referring to an actual horse, but that word may have just been the closest English word to the Hebrew or Egyptian word as engraved on the plates.

I think that every one should read and look over this website, because it has evidences of the truth of the Church and the Book of Mormon.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:35 pm
I have a few more websites that I want to post that prove the Book of Mormon to be an authentic, historical record, and to be the word of God.

http://www.the-book-of-mormon.com/photo-proofs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7920HLmknNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNcUqmRq9KY&feature=related

http://www.the-book-of-mormon.com/  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:35 pm
gothic_black_rose

Do you realize how old this movie is? Have YOU even watched it all the way through? I started falling asleep after 5 minutes.

Just so you know, I'm not going to list everything they talk about and dispute it. I will, however, be able to provide at least 80 evidences to support the Book of Mormon.

You will always find a whole bunch of redundant sites that try to disprove the LDS church, because it's easier to make stuff up rather than to actually find evidence.  

Someoneiknow

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:03 am
Someoneiknow
gothic_black_rose

Do you realize how old this movie is? Have YOU even watched it all the way through? I started falling asleep after 5 minutes.

Just so you know, I'm not going to list everything they talk about and dispute it. I will, however, be able to provide at least 80 evidences to support the Book of Mormon.

You will always find a whole bunch of redundant sites that try to disprove the LDS church, because it's easier to make stuff up rather than to actually find evidence.

I have watched it all the way through and there is a part where the leader of the LDS church says the Jesus the LDS worships and the Jesus of the Bible are two different people. You say you have 80 pieces of evidence to support the book of moron, that's not a lot since I have over 6,000 piece of evidence that prove Jesus alone is the Messiah.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:48 am
gothic_black_rose
Someoneiknow
gothic_black_rose

I have watched it all the way through and there is a part where the leader of the LDS church says the Jesus the LDS worships and the Jesus of the Bible are two different people. You say you have 80 pieces of evidence to support the book of moron, that's not a lot since I have over 6,000 piece of evidence that prove Jesus alone is the Messiah.

I have a testimony from the Holy Spirit that says Jesus alone is the Messiah, which is a lot more powerful than pieces of paper and research, but I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 am
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose
Someoneiknow
gothic_black_rose

I have a testimony from the Holy Spirit that says Jesus alone is the Messiah, which is a lot more powerful than pieces of paper and research, but I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand?

It does since he brought it up and it was about LDS. I was using it as a compairison. Plus how would having non-biblical evidence that back up the Bible's claims that can't be disputed not be as powerful to someone who isn't saved, since they could easily dispute your testimony as an oppion?  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 am
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose
Someoneiknow
gothic_black_rose

It does since he brought it up and it was about LDS. I was using it as a compairison. Plus how would having non-biblical evidence that back up the Bible's claims that can't be disputed not be as powerful to someone who isn't saved, since they could easily dispute your testimony as an oppion?

I guess for me, as a Christian, a testimony directly from the Holy Ghost is much more powerful than works published by man...But I can see where you are coming from, if you are using it to spread the word and tell people about Jesus, especially the non-believers, then the research can be a good thing.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 am
I also want to throw this out there. It's an article written by a Baptist Minister, who believes that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God.

Baptist Minister believes the Book of Mormon is true.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff