Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
My boyfriend

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Duggums

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm
Does upset me greatly sometimes. He believes in Christ but he's just the kind who'd state he's a Christian yet never do anything about it. He gets INCREDIBLEY angry sometimes, even at the slightest thing such as losing on a game (but never at me smile ). When he's in this fit of rage, he even calls God words such as "c*nt" stressed It's terrible to listen to. I don't think he realises how real and serious God is. I need to show him the truth but I don't want to scare him off. I think if I invite him to church he'll be scared off by all the old people singing hyms (badly) haha. I'm in a dilema indeed. We're soon to be engaged and I love him dearly so I want him to be saved. I hope he can be. Any advice on this? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:06 pm
It doesn't seem like he's truly a Christian (given that you said that yourself) due to the fact that when you are saved you don't just say Jesus died for our sins (even the demons admit that) but make him Lord of your life. That means if you are going to talk the talk you better walk the walk and he's not walking the walk. Paul says we shouldn't be with a nonchristian because it will get in the way of our walk with God. Just look at King Solomon, he married women of different religions and ended up making alters to their gods and worshiping such gods.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 pm
I would not be engaged to someone who didn't at least show the slightest inclination towards believing in Heavenly Father. If you want him to change, perhaps say you will say yes just as long as he is willing to accept going to church with you, or that he watches what he says about God.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:04 pm
You have to talk to him about his behavior and about Jesus and pray for him (pray a lot). If you marry him as the situation is/as he is, then you are going to have a VERY difficult marriage. You think now, "well it will be ok", and a lot of other people have thought that too, then they're crying alone in their room in the middle of divorce several years later or compromising their faith to try to still be with that person then losing their relationship with God altogether. Paul says that we are not to be yolked with unbelievers, for what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousness and darkness with light?  

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Duggums

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Thanks for the advice. I could never leave him, I love him as much as my parents. I'm just worried about him. I'm worried God wont forgive him because my bf's words to him are HARSH. I asked him if he felt guilty about it and he said yes. So there's hope yet. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 am
Why don't you sit him down. Tell him this is a serious conversation. *Try to look really sad or cry maybe* Then you can explain that it hurts your feelings when he gets angry and saids really bad things to God. Also ask him if he really believes in God? Try to keep calm and take things slow so you don't scare him :3  

Royal Crayon

LyricalSoul93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 am
Br1ttana
Paul says that we are not to be yolked with unbelievers, for what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousness and darkness with light?

This attitude has always bothered me a little. For starters, Christians are no more 'righteous' than non Christians. Everyone has sinned, not one of us can say we have a clean slate. The way I see it, Christians should accept that they are sinners and lean on God for guidance. I believe that none of us has the right to judge another and call them unrighteous or unworthy or whatever, Only God can do that.
The Bible also tells us to lead by example. Matthew 15: 21-28 says "Have faith and believe so that others will see God's light in you and glorify God". How can we lead others to God if we decide we are too good to associate with non believers?

I honestly believe that no matter how well you try to reason with a person, explain your point of view, take them to church or whatever you want, you're not going to get them to believe in God by telling them. You have to show them. Let them see how wise and kind and selfless and happy God has helped you to be, and they will come to you. If someone comes to you to ask you about God, there is no resistance and no one is offended, and there's a fair greater chance of them actually getting something out of the conversation.

So, to Pandipops: I think at the very least your boyfriend needs to respect your faith. If he's swearing all the time and using His name in vain then it doesn't sound like he realises how important this is to you. If I were you, I would sit him down and gently explain to him (In a quiet moment, not when you've just had a fight so it's like you're telling him off, 'cause then he'll only be defensive) how important your religion is to your life. Let him know that it's not just a label for you, or a loose set of values which are applied when convenient; it's a lifestyle. I would tell him you are willing to respect his beliefs as well, (even if you're going to actively try to convert the guy, these things take time and he needs to know his opinions matter to you) but that it's not okay for him to talk about God in an offensive manner. Let him know exactly what you can't tolerate so that there are no misunderstandings, and make sure that you two sort everything out before the engagement, because something like that will likely only add more strain if you're already a little unsure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 am
Best thing you can do is pray for him and I'll be praying too. heart  

Riku Elmwick

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:55 pm
LyricalSoul93
Br1ttana
Paul says that we are not to be yolked with unbelievers, for what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousness and darkness with light?

This attitude has always bothered me a little. For starters, Christians are no more 'righteous' than non Christians. Everyone has sinned, not one of us can say we have a clean slate. The way I see it, Christians should accept that they are sinners and lean on God for guidance. I believe that none of us has the right to judge another and call them unrighteous or unworthy or whatever, Only God can do that.
The Bible also tells us to lead by example. Matthew 15: 21-28 says "Have faith and believe so that others will see God's light in you and glorify God". How can we lead others to God if we decide we are too good to associate with non believers?

I honestly believe that no matter how well you try to reason with a person, explain your point of view, take them to church or whatever you want, you're not going to get them to believe in God by telling them. You have to show them. Let them see how wise and kind and selfless and happy God has helped you to be, and they will come to you. If someone comes to you to ask you about God, there is no resistance and no one is offended, and there's a fair greater chance of them actually getting something out of the conversation.

The point she was trying to make, and the point of that particular passage of scripture wasn't to dissociate ourselves from sinners, all high and mighty like.

The apostle Paul wrote the saints in Corinth, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Cor. 6:14, KJV). When this was written, and for a long time before and after, whenever someone wanted to carry a very heavy burden to a town a long way away, they would yoke to oxen together. If one ox was noticeably different, i.e. larger than the other, or faster than the other, what have you, there would be problems. Big problems. To the point where one could be seriously injured. So, in his metaphor, he's comparing the action of yoking the two together physically, to that of yoking two together spiritually, which is what happens in a marriage. If someone is a christian, everything they are about should be devoted to christ. After all, they have professed that Jesus is their Lord and Savior of their of their eternal soul. But, if someone isn't a christian, they don't have that focus for their life. So, if they were to be wed, 'yoked' together 'til death do them part', one 'ox' will have a different objective than the other, and either cause both to lose their way, or end up with one hurting the other. So, in an effort to avoid that, Paul is advising against marrying someone who is not a believer.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 pm
Kyramud
LyricalSoul93
Br1ttana

The point she was trying to make, and the point of that particular passage of scripture wasn't to dissociate ourselves from sinners, all high and mighty like.

The apostle Paul wrote the saints in Corinth, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Cor. 6:14, KJV). When this was written, and for a long time before and after, whenever someone wanted to carry a very heavy burden to a town a long way away, they would yoke to oxen together. If one ox was noticeably different, i.e. larger than the other, or faster than the other, what have you, there would be problems. Big problems. To the point where one could be seriously injured. So, in his metaphor, he's comparing the action of yoking the two together physically, to that of yoking two together spiritually, which is what happens in a marriage. If someone is a christian, everything they are about should be devoted to christ. After all, they have professed that Jesus is their Lord and Savior of their of their eternal soul. But, if someone isn't a christian, they don't have that focus for their life. So, if they were to be wed, 'yoked' together 'til death do them part', one 'ox' will have a different objective than the other, and either cause both to lose their way, or end up with one hurting the other. So, in an effort to avoid that, Paul is advising against marrying someone who is not a believer.

I understood her intention, It's just that in my personal experience people can easily take that scripture a little too far or misinterpret it to mean that we shouldn't associate with non believers. I mean, we are 'yoked together' in a similar way to our family and close friends as we are to those we are romantically involved with. All I'm saying is, we can't push away those who don't believe, and we can't judge them, or we're hurting their chances of finding God.  

LyricalSoul93

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am
User Image

Well if indeed you want to stay with him you should be a good influence.
Go to church, and talk about how good and what you learned in church. When he starts getting angry try to talk to him, say that you don't like his foul language and say it makes you uneasy when he gets mad.

The easiest way to get a loved one to get to know Christ is to be a good influence.

Remember love the person, hate the sin.
User Image

Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces