View Results

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 am
So we all know I'm attempting to write a novel, it's old news. I'm a little less than half way through at this point, but there is a problem. I've hit the verbal flow wall as it were. Writer's Block.

I've tried drawing to get back in to the flow. Not working.

I've tried keeping a "journal" for the novel's progress. Guess what? Nothing to add any more.

I've tried going a couple weeks not thinking about it. Yeah, that was productive.

I've got the whole story line plotted, I know what is happening next....but when I sit at the computer nothing comes out. How do I break out of this slump of non writing?

*Discuss*
Busting through Writer's Block
Creativity hitting the brakes
Creative projects in the works, or past projects
Whatever else you have to add...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:41 am
I don't know...I also write a novel and I haven't wrote anything for a long time: too lazy -_-

I've never had Writer's Block, I've had Too Lazy To Write, so...I don't know...

You have it plotted but nothing happens?

If I truly don't know what to write, I don't think about it for a few weeks and it works for me..  

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 am
Yeah, it's plotted, but I still need to write the actual scenes.

I ran a game a couple years ago in another guild to help me when I decided to go with a manga story. I used a few ideas for that for early on in the story for two characters interactions with one another, but I've long since passed that end of it. My story is going in a different direction now.

I'm getting ready to introduce a child character and a little after her traveling companions. I just have this one scene in between where I am now and the intro of the child that is just not coming....and it's kind of needed. I don't want it to come out forced or it will feel wrong. Maybe I'm just stressing too much over it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:36 pm
Only suggestion I can think of for you is maybe just skip that scene for now and move on to were you're more confident writing about.
Leave it for a bit, write later scenes, and then come back to it.  

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:24 pm
Ah writers block, what has killed every story I have ever started..... actually busyness and picky-ness are in there too.

Try Yunie's suggestion. I know for me writing down the scene playing in my head is the most efficient way to get stuff written.
If it's out of order or never gets used is irrelevant really, but you just have to keep writing or you stop... and risk not continuing.

Leave it on the back burner, something might turn up to spark ideas for the hole later, especially if you are stressing over that section.

My other suggestion is get someone who's opinion you can rely on and have them read what you have and talk through it with you.
Another point of view can change things, and at least gives you someone to bounce ideas off of.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm
You could also try writing a few short stories to get the creative juices flowing.

I'm actually jealous you can write a novel. I get bored with writing long stories or something happens to make me lose motivation for the story and I drop it. (IE the one I started a while ago that I never picked up because I lost a whole chapter and a half when my mom stole my laptop)

I mostly stick to short stories when I get spurts of inspiration.

Rica is insane

6,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 am
I'd cry if I lost my computer, all my writing is on it.
*Note to self; back up latest novel file*

Maybe I should try some short story work for a bit. Good advice. I might also try jumping ahead to future chapters and just saving them in a separate file until it is time to include them in the novel. Those ideas might help! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:57 pm
I have plenty of novel-length ideas, but a... not so long attention span. I just tend to write random scenes and connect them later on, though I still have yet to finish any of my stories except a few short ones because of it.
I'd say either write a random scene or short story like was suggested, or take a break from that story and write a little bit for something else. Maybe get into a roleplay? (Nah, I just like roleplaying too much and end up coming up with more characters who have their own stories, so if you're at all like me you'll get 50 more totally unrelated ideas if you go that route razz )  

Lobo-chan

blue_green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:11 am
I don't know if this'll work for you, but it sorta worked for me.

See, I was at this part in my story where it was basically all dialogue where the two main characters first meet. I was trying and trying, but I just couldn't seem to get them to get along. Then I got sick of it and figured, "hey, at this point the characters have their own wills," and just put whatever felt like what they would do, cuz I thought it would be fun. And you know what...? They hate eachother. xd But the scene is great and I have a plot twist now.

This also allows for more character development on their own and solved one of the problems I was having before. Sometimes you can't tell a story any more. There is a point where the story just tells itself and it's like you yourself are reading it, even though you are actually the writer. Enjoy it. That is why we write, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am
The only advice I feel I can truthfully give is, don't stop writing. Once you get into that rut of writing little to nothing it will keep getting harder and harder to get out of.  

YukiOfTheMightnightHour

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Celestial Burden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:38 am
So, kiind of a late response here but I know how to you feel, Thal. I'm writing a novel and it just won't go on. I know what's happening, I know where I'm going, but I just can't figure out what's going to happen in my story.

So try writing the end of the novel. Or somewhere random in the middle. Think of a plot point, any plot point, and imagine it. Daydream it for a while, and then write down what you saw. Or try re-imagining the scene prior to the one you're trying to write and see if things move on from there. Lots of revision is needed to make a story really work, and even more so to make a novel.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm
Right now I'm expanding on the timeline, adding detail, stuff like that. I think it will help.  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

O h a y a r i

Demonic Hunter

13,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 pm
I myself have been at a dead stand still for months on this fic. I have an idea of sorts but i cannot for the life of me start writing ANYTHING. Granted i'm veeery picky because i DO NOT want to end up writing a sue fic.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:25 am
I apologize for this in advance... but you need a mental enema... XD  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:43 pm
I...read that all wrong. o///o;

I was thinking "metal enema" not mental...wait, how's that gonna work unless through some weird a** deformation one's brain is in one's bum? I mean, how else is one to administer a mental enema...through the nose? Ew, brain farts you can smell...

I'm writing again (as sporadic as it is)...thanks gang!  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff