Submit

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 am
So, I just learned I experienced an earthquake about half an hour ago.
I'd never felt one before, so I had no idea.

Freaked me right out xd

The Weather Network
It's confirmed. A 5.5 earthquake hit Ontario. The quake hit just north of Ottawa and managed to rumble areas across the province including Windsor, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

The quake lasted for about 30 seconds in Ottawa and rattled several downtown buildings.

[url=http://www.1017theone.ca/news.php]Yunie's Local Radio Station's Website[/url]
An earthquake has shaken buildings across parts of southern Ontario and Quebec.
The quake seemed to last for about 30 seconds in Ottawa and rattled downtown buildings and there are people saying they felt the earth rumble in cities across the province, including Windsor, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.
There were no immediate reports of damage or injury.
According to callers to the CKNX radio newsroom a few tremors could still be felt a few minutes after the initial quake.
[listen] Click to Play
The U.S. Geological Survey says that the earthquake was a 5.5 Richter scale quake centred around the Quebec-Ontario border.
Buildings across downtown Ottawa were evacuated.
A sitting of the Senate was disturbed, as were preparations by the PMO for this week's G8 and G20 summits. PMO staff were forced out onto Wellington Street.
Witnesses in downtown Toronto also described feeling a prolonged tremour that shook desks, rattled bookshelves and caused paintings on walls to shake.

We're now also having severe weather and tornado warnings for my area O__O
Looks like I'm in for an exciting night.

Spoon!

*Have you ever experienced an earthquake?
*Have you had any severe weather in your area lately?
*Penguins.
*Anything else relevant that I didn't think of.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am
Exciting night indeed =P

*Have you ever experienced an earthquake?
Yup. There was a 6.something one back when I still lived in Washington. It wasn't too bad, but when I came home all my books and such were on the floor and my mom was visibly shaken. Turns out she got freaked out, tried to grab my brother, and ran down the stairs for who knows. She ended up falling on her a** all the way down. So yeah.

*Have you had any severe weather in your area lately?
Lately it's all just been rain, so not really. At most, we'd have like severe thunderstorm or flash flood warnings, but whatever. I'm usually inside anyway, so it's all good.

Penguins.
Penguins.

invisible-weirdo

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Liz had a blond moment and asked me if I felt the earthquake in Norway.
It made me lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:24 pm
heh...Have I been in an earthquake...

I live on the San Andreas fault line....

There was a really big earthquake in ******** s**t up...

I almost died.

I'm sure you guys have heard about that one?  

Arcanas

Hunter

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:08 pm
...This may be insensitive, but this is the first thing that popped into my head...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:15 am
Yeah, we totally felt the earthquake here too, but do you know what we didn't feel?

THE ******** TORNADO THAT HIT OUR TOWN.

Oh yeah that's right GRM and I had a tornado hit our town. We're now pretty much trapped in this town because every major exit is closed in every direction. Basically, there are three major exits, and what does this thing decide to do? Jump from one point to the other at every one of them. Not that any of you guys know much about local geography here but there are three major points, Wal-mart on hwy 12 to 93, King st exit, and William st near Baytech Plastics, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS HIT.

This is about 1000m from our house.

Also in a very comic turn of events there is ONE trailer park here and it was totally demolished. What the hell is it with Tornados and trailer parks?  

God-The-RapistV2.0

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am
...that's really weird. I'm in Ohio right now and there was a minor earthquake here yesterday. Apparently those rarely happen. I wonder if the one I felt was related to the one you felt?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 am
@Shram: Joo never know.

@GTR: Lulz... Perhaps cosmic coincidence?  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
What the hell is it with Tornados and trailer parks?

I don't know, but the Black Friday tornado basically obliterated a trailer park in Edmonton.

I haven't heard of any earthquakes here, but there were a couple of small ones that happened back home when I was a kid. I didn't feel them at all. Apparently they were scary as s**t from the second floor of the digester at the pulp mill though.

My dad slept through an earthquake in Vancouver once when he and my mom were staying there. Then again, he also slept through an apartment across the street exploding and only woke up when my mom hit the headboard on the way back down.

We get severe weather in Edmonton all the time. Basically from now until mid-August, it will be a rare day that does not include a severe thunderstorm watch or tornado watch. In the winter we get a lot of severe winter storm warnings and extreme temperature warnings. Last winter we actually had thundersnow (which is freaky). Tornadoes happen pretty often around here, but they usually touch down in a farmer's field. There was one that knocked out an RV campground a few years ago, and one touched down in a suburb just a few km from my house and flung some 2X4s right through the walls of a house like javelins.

I was in Chetwynd (in BC) once when a tornado hit the other side of town. I had no clue until after -- I just thought it was a crazybad thunderstorm.

My personal favourite though is... when wildfires attack!! I've been on five-minute evacuation notice at my parents' house at least five times in the past five years.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:26 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
Also in a very comic turn of events there is ONE trailer park here and it was totally demolished. What the hell is it with Tornados and trailer parks?

They have homing beacons.

We have a tornado warning here. I was caught outside years ago when one touched down. That was the day we learned just how fast I could run ...and that I can swear like a sailor with Tourettes!

I've experienced earthquakes in California, or so I was told. I slept through all of them. I think if I was awake, those around me might be scarred for life by the verbal slum that I'd likely emit until the ground stopped rolling.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:29 am
the only earthquake i have ever been in was a blast...
i got to ride my couch across the living room...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:59 pm
a few years ago (maybe more than that), there was a really really reaaallly minor earthquake here (near washington, DC)
it wasn't anything serious in my area, but it did make my little crystal triangle thing that was hanging up shake.
i was really confused and actually blamed it on ghosts xd
-nerdd-  

La La Leprosy

Dangerous Raider

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out