Reply Community Lounge
Jesus and Homosexuality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:17 pm
Ladies and gentlemen I have stumbled across an interesting piece of information about Jesus and homosexuality in the bible. I was reading an article about Jesus' sexuality (not the topic for this conversation) and there is mention of a passage contained in Matthew 8:5-13: and Luke 7:2:

Quote:
One day a Roman Centurion asked him to heal his dying servant. Scholars of both Scripture and Ancient History tell us that Roman Centurions, who were not permitted to marry while in service, regularly chose a favorite male slave to be their personal assistant and sexual servant. Such liaisons were common in the Greco-Roman world and it was not unusual for them to deepen into loving partnerships....Jesus offered to go to the servant, but the centurion asked him simply to speak a word of healing, since he was not worthy to welcome this itinerant Jewish teacher under his roof. Jesus responded by healing the servant and proclaiming that even in Israel he had never found faith like this! So, in the one Gospel story where Jesus encountered people sharing what we would call a 'gay relationship,' we see him simply concerned about -- and deeply moved by -- their faith and love.

I find it fantastic that Jesus places faith and love far above any act a person can commit.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:56 pm
That's odd. But cool, I always thought he just never said anything about it.  

SuchSweetSadism

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am
SuchSweetSadism
That's odd. But cool, I always thought he just never said anything about it.

It's still not exactly a direct statement on it. But it's about as definitive as it gets.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:43 pm
well way to go Jesus!  

Aidensnumberonefan

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

============
A loving heart

heart Well, there's one I've never heard in all my Lutheran education xD heart

is the beginning of all knowledge
============

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:23 pm
I always thought it was interesting that when people hear or read something, they will nearly ALWAYS gravitate to things that are in line with their beliefs, and shun the things that conflict with them. This is a great example of just that. All the stuck-up Christians could have read that, but none of them made the connection because of their views on Same Sex relationships. Thanks for sharing that with us Trish. ^_^  

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:15 pm
I'm sure all sorts of arguments could be made about which translation of the bible that passage comes from or whatnot, but it's interesting to see that in at least one version.

To me, the bible has always been a book. An important book that can help a person establish good morals and ethics for their own life, but I've never thought of it as something to follow word for word as my own interpretation dictates.

As for homosexuality and religion...well, there's a lot I could say, but I'll keep it very simple. I've always felt that religion should be a celebration of life. As long as a person isn't harming themselves or others and feelings are consentual, I personally cannot understand why people should be excluded from a religion based on their sexual preference. A devotion to a lover and a devotion to a religion are seperated things. It's not as though you can say to a person, "Well...you're gay! Just pick a different religion." rolleyes Religion and faith are deeply personal things. It's not like deciding on a pair of shoes.

Shorter answer = bla bla bla love is nifty  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm
Oh, wow. That's neat. There are actually a lot of implications of gay relationships in the Bible, but people tend to gloss them over or insist that they can be interpreted many many ways.  

Celestial Burden

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:13 pm
Celestial Burden
Oh, wow. That's neat. There are actually a lot of implications of gay relationships in the Bible, but people tend to gloss them over or insist that they can be interpreted many many ways.

Jonathan and David, and Ruth and Leah come to mind... smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm
I see you are going to show the people who read too much into specific quotes from places in the bible how silly it sounds from the other side.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 am
Celestial Burden

Actually in the "original" manuscripts the word to say that Jesus loved Mary Magdalene, as well as some of his disciples and other followers (male and female) is one that implies sexual love as well.

I can find more references to use. However, as far as I am aware there is NOTHING in the New Testament that says homosexuality is wrong.

Sav, all I'm trying to say is that Jesus preached love, not hate. I'm trying to restore some people's faith in that reality and give them something to go on.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:10 pm
Jesus and God are one and the same (depending on your flavor of Christianity). So while Jesus says all that nice stuff he still did all that fire and brimstone s**t in the old testament and promised some more bad a** s**t for us in Revelations.

The bible is a book full of contradictions and to play the interpretation game is foolhardy. Restoring faith in reality by saying the first half of the book is reconned isn't really what skeptics want or what believers will listen too. People will always find what they are looking for in the bible, so it's cool that you found what you are looking for it's not ground breaking or new.

The point about what's in the bible is moot anyway. Let's say the bible told you that gay people are evil in no uncertain terms. Would that change your mind about gays at all?  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 pm
I never felt like God disapproved of my sexuality, even without straining to find evidence in poorly-translated passages from the new testament...

When people use the Bible to condemn the gay community, they don't usually try to pass off Jesus as being the one who had a problem with queers. It's usually Old Testament stuff, and Paul's letters that get used against us.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 pm
Homosexuality was condemned in the Old Testament, but at the same time, it's considered an affront equal to wearing a garment made of two different types of fabric (I'm not making that up, it's in Deuteronomy).

My point: The religious laws laid out in the bible were meant to govern an ancient civilization, far removed from our own. It's even implied that Jesus himself rejected many of those decrees that were ancient even by contemporary standards. So, should you choose to live by a system of Jewish law that was obsolete 2,000 years ago, you should be willing to go all or nothing- if you reject homosexuality, you better also ward off pork and cotton/polyester blends.  

CRIPPLING ENNUI

Insignificant Observer

Liberal Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:52 pm
I was looking for this article! Thanks for posting.

There are no conclusive arguments in the New Testament against homosexuality that ARE NOT made by Paul, who is only a servant of God and who admits this himself. That's part of the reason I've always argued against condemning it to religious people.  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games