Welcome to Gaia! ::

Artistic Freedom

Back to Guilds

Express yourself, talk about everything. 

Tags: discuss art, poetry, dreams, songs, music 

Reply Artistic Discussions - Articles and Polls
Drugs the gateway to artistic euphoria?? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dusklord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 pm
Okay, so I've just come back from a short visit to my old city to see my mom and a few of my old friends.

My friends as well as my mother (who has MS) have dabbled in smoking marijuana. The Psycotropic drugs ((Mushrooms / LSD Ect')) only span out to a few of my friends. The legal herb the gas stations sell are considered deadly for the simple fact that certain brands; ((Voodoo, Supernova, and K2)) create the effect of doing amphetamines and or psycotrpics.

Alcohol is also considered a drug and I'm sure most of you know at least one artist who's dabbled in that. Edger Allen Poe and Anne Rice have had drinking problems in the past along with other artist.

Now you may be asking yourself, "Why talk about these things Wyatt?" , well it's come to my attention that many Artist have had a problem or an addiction to these substances.

I have smoked marijuana as well as the legal herb. And I have been known to drink on occasion. Did it make me any better? Did it create some big masterpiece of epic preportions? Can I play Mozart on the Piano drunk?? The answer is no...

Before I did any type of substance I was still the Artist you know me to be today. There was no change, no sudden knack to write an epic. It was all just dreamlike...and don't take that for being something amazing..

There is a calm about everything at times, and you feel numb to reality... it's horror. This is just what I've experienced but it's really just horrable.. I can put it to you this way..

My body would go numb as if I had been dumped under thick ice, and my brain would try to react but I just couldn't find the will to do anything but just think about the situation and get lost in the process of it all... I can say now that I know what death feels like.

I've forgotten to breath cause I felt like my lungs where frozen once. The hazy dream has even made me lose full scope of reality, thinking my friend had broken into the neighbors house and that we were sleeping on the floor of someone elses room when in fact it was his own the entire time.

They did nothing for me but open a pandoras box of horror..lol so as the saying goes Dont do drugs kids.. I've cleaned up my act.. xp

So my question is this, what are your opinions on drugs in the artistic community?? Have you ,or anyone you know ever "experimented" with anything before to try and find inspiration?? Please share your stories and opinions 3nodding -Y@  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:10 pm
Probably one of the most interesting articles I have ever read. Although I'm a bit glad that you found the knack and volition to quit what could have spiraled you down. It is a mind-challenging thought, but the the mindless thought of it chills me to the bone. But, I would have to say 'No (like what I would really say) to this one - as an addiction will only block your ability to harness more creative ability - same as having some horrible side effects.

True, Edgar Allan Poe was bit of an Alcoholic - but that's not the whole reason why he became one of the World's most renowned Gothic Poet, most of the influence came from his Wife and Family - At least, that's in my perspective - I am certainly not Edgar Allan Poe, and can't bear the thought of me having to know, it seemed that his life was a whole Shakespearean Tragic Poem.

Once again, thanks. I'm glad that you had this certain-mindset that the World's most hated and infamous substance and flaw, may have just done more than darken our lungs and brainwash our memories. What's your next question? I certainly can't wait to answer the next one. I'm through, for now - now let's see what the rest has to say...  

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

xXJericoXx
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:08 am
Drugs can go to HELL well i have never experemented with like weed and pills but i will say i have drank and gottan drunk befor and trust me it did not go well at all and that is the last time i ever drank. But while in high skool i had a bet frind well more like my boyfriend, he was so poetic and romantic and i fell in love right away then he started somking weed and poppong pills his favorit calls watts and cocain his artistic side just ent away, i used to read him my poems and he loved them and he would write in return but as soon as he started drugs that just stopped i would read him a peice and he would daze off or he would say like "oh yea thats nice" it hurt me so deeply that mt best friend couldnt enjot art anymore.And everytime i think of him i cry, i stopped talking to him after graduation because he was never sober. one day we went to Barnes & Noble and he was all touchy on me and we sat to read some poems soon enough the weed died off and he had the balls to say to me loud enough"s**t my going sober i cant stand be here wen im sober" he went outside and somked some more and came back in and i was gone! So answere to your question wyatt , no drugs dont make a person a better artist drugs just submerges a person to a dark hellhole but for some reason the like it and thats the worst part. Because of drugs i was hurt though i never took them!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 am
Jericho - You make a really good point, but think about the people back in the day? 1950's or so on, they didn't know that these things had side effects. That's probably why we had Hippies...  

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 am
In the artist communities here if you ever see these, it's mostly used as a social thing, something to share. Like social drinking. I have known one or two who have used something like MJ and have told me they get into a 'zone' and can work for hours..

In my personal experience I have tried it to see what it is like, and have noticed I get into similar states of mind that I can achieve during regular meditation. Usually I meditate in silence, but I've also used binaural beats which in the beginning have really helped me relax during times of high stress and I've also used it for insomnia.

Drugs in the end aren't really all that necessary for me because I can get in the zone on my own, naturally. It's really just about calming the mind, so that no other thoughts pass through and all your focus is on your art... I've never had a high off of drugs, my experience is that it just relaxes me but I know this isn't the case for everyone. What gives me euphoria are those random moments, watching films and coming across beautiful scenes.. or going for a walk and seeing something that catches your eye unexpectedly and it just fills you up --and it really lasts the whole day. Maybe longer if I decide to photograph it or I hold on to the memory..  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 am
Eternal Rebellion
Jericho - You make a really good point, but think about the people back in the day? 1950's or so on, they didn't know that these things had side effects. That's probably why we had Hippies...

what the hell are u talkin about she didnt mention any hippie
like totally out there
peace  

TheCarelessDove

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 pm
sheya 3
Eternal Rebellion

like totally out there
peace

I know she didn't - I'm just trying to make a point, if you didn't know it was bad; would you still do it? Geez, calm down... crying

"That's PROBABLY why we had Hippies.."  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:25 am
lol okay i dont believe in drugs of any kind but i will tell u drugs has not gotten anyone anywhere and if it has it will come and bite u in the a** later on.  

Kawaii Tears
Captain

Wicked Cutie-Pie

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:14 pm
RavensLunas
lol okay i dont believe in drugs of any kind but i will tell u drugs has not gotten anyone anywhere and if it has it will come and bite u in the a** later on.

Ha ha, true - nice and straightforward way of saying it! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 pm
I have experimented a lot actually. Drugs have opened my eyes to what I did not see before when I was straightedge. Hallucinations helped me with some great ideas of what i wanted to draw next. Most of my artwork I drew while drunk or high. I am not spiraling down into a dark abyss because of them. I still lead a normal life. I hangout with friends, spend time with family, and go to college. I am doing very well in all of those categories. I believe that it depends on the chemical make up and emotions of the person when it comes to a 'high' from a drug.  

cursetechnology

dusklord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 pm
cursetechnology
I have experimented a lot actually. Drugs have opened my eyes to what I did not see before when I was straightedge. Hallucinations helped me with some great ideas of what i wanted to draw next. Most of my artwork I drew while drunk or high. I am not spiraling down into a dark abyss because of them. I still lead a normal life. I hangout with friends, spend time with family, and go to college. I am doing very well in all of those categories. I believe that it depends on the chemical make up and emotions of the person when it comes to a 'high' from a drug.
You make a valid point my friend, everything has it's own reaction and balance depending on the person and the state there in.

I have a friend that would draw some trippy things when he would smoke. I have another that would paint awsome peices when he did LSD (or LSA). Everyone has a different reaction to different substances..  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm
Eternal Rebellion
sheya 3
Eternal Rebellion

like totally out there
peace

I know she didn't - I'm just trying to make a point, if you didn't know it was bad; would you still do it? Geez, calm down... crying

"That's PROBABLY why we had Hippies.."

if you look it up, the reason we had what everyone calls 'hippies' was because of the Vietnam war they were also known as doves who did no believe that we should had been fighting in the war also known as liberals. but hippies were like the liberals only more extreme. and hawks were the conservatives that supported the war. drugs were around way before then but just finally making their way into the light of the media. it is kind of funny actually, hippies lived in big groups and believed they shared everything and everyone go the same as the other which is a lot like the communist we were fighting in the Vietnam War. XD  

cursetechnology

cursetechnology

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:50 pm
RavensLunas

everyone has their own way of thinking. but thinking that everyone is going to end up paying for everything bad they do such as drugs is a bit naive. just think, most of Asia had opium before us and they are doing very well. i am not living in the streets shooting up. only some drugs are addicting. but why would you wish for such ill things to go upon people who have chosen which route they want to venture for a little while in life? its not very polite. but really, once it does n** me in the a** like you say i will let you know. let just say for the past 5 years only good things have ventured my way with my art and network of people in life.  
Artistic Discussions - Articles and Polls

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff