Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
I'm getting a lappy, and I need your help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kerrigan_dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:56 am
I'm starting University this fall! Woohoo! I took a year off to work and travel, and I enjoyed both. I met some of my favourite ATGers and went to America for the first time, and had a lot of fun. But now I'm eager to get back to school and learn things and be with my friends. I've really missed my friends.

But anyways, I need to buy a laptop for school! And I was hoping the ATG could help me out a bit because, well, I know about as much about computers as I do about llamas. That is, not much.

One of my friends recommended I get an HP G62 laptop. It's got 320 GB Hard drive and a 3 GB RAM. Actually, she found a link, so click . I still don't know what a Dual-Core Processor is, but people tell me it's a good thing?

My mom recommended a Macbook as an option for its longevity.

So, ATG, what should I get? I'm definitely open to more than just what I said here, those are just what's been said to me so far.

Spoonfeeding time:

-what kind of laptop should I get?
-is it necessary to have a laptop in university?
-will Timmy ever get out of the well?
-what kind of experiences have you had with buying computers?
-anything else relevant  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 am
I am Emmmahy, the Evil Overlord of the Sparkling Dutchman!
I have been known to have a temper, and to blind enemies with my lack of shirt.

" First I thought 'lap dance? Does she need our help picking out outfits? o_0' XDDD

Get one that has a 3 year guarantee, trust me thou shall need it, and one of the more famous, quality brands that have a World Wide Guarantee. :3 "

You are not a friend?
Fear me and my neverending sarcasm, you fool.

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:22 pm
My best suggestion is to go to Memory Express (there are three locations in Calgary and two in Edmonton). They hire good staff, are not pushy, and if you walk in and say "I would like a laptop or a netbook that does X, Y, and Z; What do you suggest?" they should be able to give you something fantastic!

As far as longevity is concerned, toshiba has the best tech on the market right now with the hard drive impact protection standard on almost all their portable computers.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 pm
User Image

All depends on what you want from your laptop, really. If you're after a workhorse laptop for typing up university assignments, browsing the web and listening to music then you're looking at an entirely different spec set to one for playing games and stuff.

The one you've linked is a pretty good workhorse with enough grunt to play games if you want to, but not at the highest video settings.

Personally, I'd suggest staying the hell away from a Macbook, but I'm biased against apple and their pretentious brushed metal interface. THEY EVEN HAVE IT IN THE STORES! I MEAN, SERIOUSLY. URGH.

biggrin

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Kerrigan_dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:11 pm
User ImageI swear by my pretty floral bonnet...

What I want from the laptop is just to surf the internet, type up documents for university, listen to music, watch movies and videos, edit images, and occasionally play a game, but not graphics intensive ones, and not very often. (Think Tiberian Sun and Zoo Tycoon, that's pretty much all I play on the computer). So yeah, a workhorse laptop is what I need.

Also, I'm not that fond of Macs, in all honesty. I really like Macs from the 80s, but they aren't useful for school. >_>;;

Kals: I'll check out Memory Express tomorrow, I guess. smile Thank you.

User Image
...I will end you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 pm
No mac love in here? Ah well, I'm biased so it's ok.

Having no background to back me up I can't suggest any, but I agree with the idea to ask for a good workhorse comp.

Also if you are going to spend a lot of time hanging around school in between classes it is a pretty good idea to have a laptop. I found that the computer labs where less than comfy for working especially when they filled up with noisy users, and sometimes you have to juggle the classes that use the rooms. Also libraries comps always seem to get occupied fast.

Anyway it's a nice excuse to get yourself a brand new toy.
What are you planning taking? Just out of curiosity.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:23 pm
I was just about to suggest a mini, instead, but I don't know how big or small a screen you find acceptable.

Macs just come off as really expensive. >_> They aren't suited for gaming, for a long time they just didn't have the two button mouse, really, really, really annoying.

For basic things, with a bigger screen, I might go with this,
but maybe you want to purchase the computer in the store and one that isn't as basic?

The one you have linked, I feel as though it should have at least 1 more gig of RAM.

I usually buy through DELL, cuz they letz me kusstomize. biggrin I'd go Alienware if I had the money [I game.]  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:27 pm
Well, I got a laptop. It's the one I linked to.

My friend has the same one, and I used it for a while and found that I really like it, so I got it.

I have named my laptop Mathias. He is gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide, and has a crush on my friend's boyfriend's laptop Maxwell. smile Heather and I came up with a whole story for this laptop. He runs really fast, has a nice keyboard, and I actually like Windows 7, I've found. (Thank you for letting me lurk on your computer a lot, Roland.)

Kerrigan_dragon

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 pm
I haven't used Windows 7 much myself, but I've heard lots of good feedback about it. It's certainly pretty.

I bought this laptop (a Gateway) just before I started university in 2005, and it's still going. Haven't ever had to have it repaired, but I don't do all that much with it.

I ended up having a lot of major performance issues when I was running Windows XP (since the specs for this machine are really terrible xD), but since switching to Ubuntu it's been great.

I really ought to look at purchasing a newer computer, since I've been eyeing the Sims 3 for quite awhile (and my laptop most definitely doesn't support it; it doesn't support the Sims 2, and would probably have trouble running the Sims...), but that probably won't happen any time soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:50 pm
User Image"I've been burned so bad...

User Image

Glad I could help? sweatdrop It's no problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Windows 7, at least. xd

...but I still play with fire!"
User Image

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Miss-dark8607

Dangerous Visionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 pm
I am not much of a techie. However, I STILL have a Mac Powerbook G4. It's six years old and still running (not as smoothly as it once did but still) It's been bumped, dropped, and crashed (once). Yet it's still here. So I do highly recommend Mac products and most big city malls have a Mac store in which you can get your Mac looked at if issues arise. On the PC side I have always loved anything Sony produces most of my ex roommates have had Sony based laptops and they all preform well.

So yeah either a Mac or a Sony. Those are the best IMPO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm
Kerrigan_dragon
Well, I got a laptop. It's the one I linked to.

My friend has the same one, and I used it for a while and found that I really like it, so I got it.

I have named my laptop Mathias. He is gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide, and has a crush on my friend's boyfriend's laptop Maxwell. smile Heather and I came up with a whole story for this laptop. He runs really fast, has a nice keyboard, and I actually like Windows 7, I've found. (Thank you for letting me lurk on your computer a lot, Roland.)

Gayer than a treefull of monkeys on nitrous oxide?

Is that a Good Omens reference I see thar? surprised  

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items