I just don't get it... [Possibly IDD] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 am
Edit: Apparently, the whole thing has been called off. Thank goodness. Still, he's apparently calling it off because he was told that there will no longer be a mosque built near "Ground Zero" in NYC. :/

Read more here

Quote:
In protest of what it calls a religion "of the devil," a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Article from CNN

Really. What is wrong with these people?? This is so hateful, it really turns my stomach. Do they not realize that their actions are a slap in the face to millions of people who've done absolutely nothing to wrong them?

To remember the victims of 9/11?? Do they think that the only people who died were Christians?

There are religious nutjobs that scream and cry and moan every time they feel that their religion is being "disrespected" (the whole same-sex marriage problem in most US states, for example...), but they have no problem being disrespectful towards other cultures and religions. It's hypocrisy.

Quote:
"Eternal fire is the only destination the Quran can lead people to, so we want to put the Quran in it's [sic] place -- the fire!" the page says.

sad Cripes.

Hopefully spoonfeeding isn't required.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:12 am
I am Emmmahy, the Evil Overlord of the Sparkling Dutchman!
I have been known to have a temper, and to blind enemies with my lack of shirt.

" Who where WHAT now?

-excuse me while I look up a dictionary-

O o the holy book! Why on EARTH would they do that?

This is gonna get some srs raeg from the Muslims (and I can't blame them).

Waht would their reaction be to 'Burn a Bible' day I wonder?

Then again the Church was known to be a bunch of IDIOTS.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm Christian (well Ortodox but it's the same s**t anyway)) "

You are not a friend?
Fear me and my neverending sarcasm, you fool.

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 am
Not everyone who is a member of the Church is an idiot, obviously, but this group certainly makes the rest look bad, unfortunately.

Isn't inciting hatred some sort of crime in most places...?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 am

" I was talking about those in charge wink

I don't know... "

You are not a friend?

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:26 am
I'm not sure "idiot" is really what I'd call some of these church leaders.

Misguided certainly, and probably bigoted (referring to the ones who are stirring up hate, not church leaders in general), but I would think you'd have to have a certain degree of intelligence to get a group of people following you.

You'd need a bit of intelligence, probably lots of charisma or an air of authority, and you'd likely have to be a good salesman.

I would be more inclined to use the term "idiot" for the people who blindly follow people like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 am

" Would the term 'misguided jackasses' be more approprieate (<--spelled wrong, I know.)? :3 "

You are not a friend?

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am
xD Yes. Yes it would. That sums it up really succinctly, actually.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 am

" Yay ^^

...you're making me get a dictionary Taeryyn -not a native English speaker- XD

What do you think would be their reaction to 'Burn a Bible day' (which doesn't exist, I think)? "

You are not a friend?

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 am
(You're not? o_O I never would have guessed. What's your native language, if you don't mind me asking?)

Oh man...if there were a "Burn a Bible Day" this same group (and many others) would be freaking out. They'd be screaming to the government that it was hate speech, and that the people behind it should be jailed.

To use an expression that they are obviously NOT familiar with: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." If it's not okay to direct that sort of hate towards them, why do they think it's okay to do it to another group?

It wouldn't really surprise me if someone tries to start a Burn the Bible day now, in response to the Qu'ran burning. .__.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:42 am

" ((I'm that good? Yay! And it's ex-Yugoslavian (specifically Serbian), lol.))

I completely and utterly agree with you there.

If they stopped and thought about THAT idea...well they'd still go on, but you know what I mean.

Me neither.
It's like we don't have enough tension allready rolleyes "

You are not a friend?

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 am
User Image
Ugh, bunch of closed minded arses. Sure, you might not like Muslims, but that doesn't give you the right to burn their holy book! I don't like Christian doctrine, but I don't go around burning bibles every day. It's just not polite.

Hopefully this crap will get banned before it goes ahead, otherwise the west will end up being demonised by the Middle East even more. They hate us enough as it is, as evidenced by the damn September 11 attacks in the first place.

And as far as remembering the victims, this is complete stupidity. If I'd been in the towers, I'd want people to remember me properly, not by furthering the circle of hate.
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:50 am
Zdravo! >w< Treba da vežbam srpski. (I just looked up "Serbian phrases. xD)

@Bass: It's nice of them to speak on behalf of dead people who can't defend themselves, isn't it? razz I wonder if they realize that there were Muslims who were in the towers when they went down? What a great way to respect them and their families, not to mention everyone one else who just wishes for peace and tolerance...  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 am

" Awesome >w< (and correct)

Zdravo ^^

Yeah, I agree with you lot.
A muslim died by 9/11! How should we remember him/her? Burn his/her holy book! Perfect! "

You are not a friend?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 am
Are there any ATGers from Florida or nearby that are familiar with like...hate crime laws in the area?

Hell, I pose the question to everyone in general: Would this sort of thing be legally permitted where you live?

I need to look up the definition of hate crime here in Canada...

Edit: So, from what I've been finding, in the US you can promote hatred or advocate genocide or say whatever you like (except yell "fire" in a crowded theatre, apparently) because of your constitution's first amendment. I don't doubt there's more to it than that, so I welcome clarification from our American ATGers.

Here in Canada (and apparently it's similar in the UK, Australia, and NZ), we are mostly prohibited from advocating hatred based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin, and sexual orientation.

Quote:
If it can be shown that the speech was so abusive that it was likely to incite listeners or readers into violent action against an identifiable group, and if the the speech was made in a public place, then a person could be charged under this section.

Source
Another source

But whether or not it's an actual crime seems to depend on a lot of things. :s You can't be charged for what's said during a private conversation, for example. It also looks like members of the clergy have a lot of lee-way, too.

@_@  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

" 1) The first ammedment is NOT helping here! D:<

They should change it.

In my country... we'd get a lot of crap for it.

I do not know the law so well, and since I'm supposed to research something for school anyway, I won't go deep.

Except this: our neighbour, Bosnia and Hercegovina, is a largely Muslim country, and they would get extremely pissed off, so no one here would TRY to do that because...well, who needs the relations to be even more chilly (the relations are good, I think (dunn like politics), why spoil it)? And they might start war (not so sure, but hey it's an option). "

You are not a friend?

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff