Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Life support

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:18 pm
Do you believe keeping someone on life support is against God's will? Do you believe taking someone off life support to be murder?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:40 pm
I have no idea, however taking someone off it would be murder because your making a choice to take somone's life and only God can make that choice, however I don't think leaving them on is against his will, I would just pray that God would take them already.  

starry night-163

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 pm
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I think, well it's a machine keeping someone alive then it's wrong, but then I think if God wanted them dead they'd die regardless. I think life support in a way is quite selfish as well. Why hold onto a person who has no quality of life? Yes you'll miss them, but if they're saved and you're saved you won't be separated for long.

If they are on it in the first place, they are unable to live for Christ and with the thought they will never come off of it, why keep the person alive for longer? It's selfish to put a person on life support to begin with in my opinion so you're sinning that way and then in the same if you take them off it you're letting that life die so, yes it's a sin, and keeping them on it longer is a sin too. Since all sin is the same then it would be as bad as murder.

(does any of that make any sense to anyone else?)

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 pm
i think that when God calls someone home, its time for them to go. life support is just to make us live longer, which i find to be dumb. why live longer? why prolong your trip to heaven???  

thrashmetaljunkie

Bioluminescent Sharpies

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Depends on what their on life support for, say if its a "wrong place, wrong time" things and say they where almost beat to death by another person and are clinging to life by a string and there's nothing to do about it but that, I don't think it would be against God's will to try to save them.
To me, when things like that happen, I consider them to be a "demon's doing" where the demon tries to kill you trough another human being, when really you're destined to do great things in the the name of the Lord for humanity. But if your on life support because of an natural and unstoppable cause I think that's God saying, "It's time to come home". Because why would God do that if you still have plenty of life ahead of you? But than again, he could be testing you. Like the saying, "What doest kill you makes you stronger". To see if you have the strength to cling to life even if in the face of death and to see if the people around you will grant you the freedom to live even though it seems hopeless
And if God didn't want people to try to keep themselves alive, then why did he give us healers and let them advance to this level of medicine if he didn't want his children to use it? It's like giving a child a chocolate bar and telling them not to eat it. It's pointless.
I don't know, that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm
I think it's some thing that the family members need to approach prayfully and let the Spirit guide them.

I can't really say if taking the person off life support is murder or not.

I also don't really look at it as prolonging a trip to heaven by keeping some one on life support either.

Life support has been known to save people's lives. So I guess it's an inbetween type of deal for me.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

thrashmetaljunkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 am
i think my biggest issue with it is that they came out with it. then people started saying taking someone off it is murder. i don't believe so. i think taking someone off life support is an act of mercy. who wants to live as a vegetable? I think it just prolongs misery, but people seem to be too selfish to let someone go. its selfishness that makes us want someone to stay around longer. Yes we love them, but if you truly love them, then let them go so they can be at peace.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:12 am
I don't know. It's just one of those tricky areas of the medical field. I think having some one on life support then taking them off should be a decision that the family members need to ask counsel from the Lord about and it's definitely not a decision to be taken or made lightly.

The technology has been wonderful. It's saved many lives and lots of people have come to after being on life's support. I heard a story of a woman who was on life support after a stoke I believe, and she said that while she was laying there in the hospital she could hear all her family members and doctors talking about her chances of survival. She couldn't respond to them or move, but she fought to stay alive. I think it was several days later the family members decided to take her off life support, but the woman repsonded to their good byes and said she wasn't ready to go. So she goes around sharing her story and thanking God for the technology of life support.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

thrashmetaljunkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:50 am
Shadows-shine
I don't know. It's just one of those tricky areas of the medical field. I think having some one on life support then taking them off should be a decision that the family members need to ask counsel from the Lord about and it's definitely not a decision to be taken or made lightly.

The technology has been wonderful. It's saved many lives and lots of people have come to after being on life's support. I heard a story of a woman who was on life support after a stoke I believe, and she said that while she was laying there in the hospital she could hear all her family members and doctors talking about her chances of survival. She couldn't respond to them or move, but she fought to stay alive. I think it was several days later the family members decided to take her off life support, but the woman repsonded to their good byes and said she wasn't ready to go. So she goes around sharing her story and thanking God for the technology of life support.
thats an interesting story. and i agree with life support for people like that. when something unexpected comes, i think its great, however when its just to keep someone alive just to keep them alive like someone terribly old, i think its a sin. God calls people home when he calls them home, we shouldnt try and fight it. it is a tricky topic, and like other things, i believe there are only instances where it is okay. however, i agree with you 100% in that the decision to take someone off is the families, and should be with the counsel of the Lord.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:54 am
This exact problem is one reason why I will have it written down beforehand exactly what my wishes regarding life support are. The choice belongs to me.

Regardless, the will of the Lord will be done. If it is my time to die, I will die. If it is not, then I will not.  

rosadria

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am
VK Fox
This exact problem is one reason why I will have it written down beforehand exactly what my wishes regarding life support are. The choice belongs to me.

Regardless, the will of the Lord will be done. If it is my time to die, I will die. If it is not, then I will not.

True. I think that people should make their wants and wishes known clearly. I heard that the Red Cross is encouraging people now to put a copy of their wills in a first aid kit then place that kit some where where it's easy access in case of an emergency or to carry it in their vehicles. I'm kind of thinking that's a good idea that way, if in the event some one is hurt bad enough that life support is necessary, then the doctors and family will know how long or even if the paitient wants to be on life support.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Saint of Eight
faithful quenga

I think, well it's a machine keeping someone alive then it's wrong, but then I think if God wanted them dead they'd die regardless. I think life support in a way is quite selfish as well. Why hold onto a person who has no quality of life? Yes you'll miss them, but if they're saved and you're saved you won't be separated for long.

If they are on it in the first place, they are unable to live for Christ and with the thought they will never come off of it, why keep the person alive for longer? It's selfish to put a person on life support to begin with in my opinion so you're sinning that way and then in the same if you take them off it you're letting that life die so, yes it's a sin, and keeping them on it longer is a sin too. Since all sin is the same then it would be as bad as murder.

(does any of that make any sense to anyone else?)

Bro, I agree that if God wanted somebody dead, they'd be dead. Yet, I don't think God goes around pointing at people to die.

Selfish - devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others

I see how this can be viewed as selfish. Although it is not hurting anybody. Life > Electricity. If somebody is on life support they will never be able to live for Christ? The mute can't preach. A blind man can't write a passage. And a deaf man can't hear the gospel. So for these reasons we shouldn't prolong their deaths.

And hey, if you don't want to go on life support that's your deal, but if you don't accept that you shouldn't do the following:
Take medicine
Take vitamins
Go to the hospital
Accept the paramedic's help
or Dodge the car
For all these are simply keeping you away from God.

just a note, I am female, so I am no body's "bro" and I would appreciate it if you do not call me that again.

I believe it's selfish to keep a person on life support for a prolonged period of time. What quality of life is that soul going to have when they are brain dead?

Living for Christ isn't about one aspect of being able to hear, see, or talk. If I couldn't talk I could still write, if I couldn't hear, I could still see sign language and respond, if I couldn't see I could hear the word of God. Small set backs are in no way the same as being kept alive on a machine when there is no possible way for your body to ever come out of it.

I know that life support has saved many lives and that is great. But when in a prolonged period of time, it is selfish of a person to continue to keep that person on life support.

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items