Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
I really need some advice and a prayer for this person

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you pray for him and if so then thank you I really appreciate it ^_^
  Yes
  No
View Results

starry night-163

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:58 pm
Ok the thing is I have a boyfriend, we have been together for a little over a year and I became christian about 3 or 4 months ago and I found out somewhere around that time that Christians can't marry non Christians so that hurt alot when I found out . I don't want to disobey the Lord so I know I'm going to have leave him if God doesn't save him. I thought I'd tell him about the gospel and if he accepted it then wait some months to see if he really has been saved however we havn't seen eachother in about hald a year because he's been really busy with school and work so I havn't had the chance and I don't want to do it over the phone. I've been inviting him to church some weeks ago and he made an excuse the first time about having to go to a funneral once and the other time he just didn't get out of bed. So the other week we were talking about this and he admited to me that he lied to me and that he just won't go to church (not even his mom can make him). I remember he made me alot of deals so he wouldn't have to go to church and one was, I go to church and then tell him about it later. He was annoyed and also told me that he always meets some very religious people who I think he said try to get him to go to church or something like that, I actually find that odd because I believe God may truely have put him in my way for a reason then, whether it's for him to be my husband or for me to pray for him to be saved, which I have been praying for his salvation and I won't stop praying for him even if we break up because I care. This even gave me some encouragment:

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Sermons/2325_The-Power-of-Faith

So my questions are what should I do, and should I tell him that I'm not allowed to marry a non Christian, and will you please pray for him?
Thank you for reading this.

UPDATE: I should have posted an update earlier but Problem semi-solved I guess... I'm no longer with him but I would still like to ask that you please keep praying for his salvation... Well yeah thanks for everything mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 pm
I pray that you can find the right thing to do in the eyes of God in your situation.

as for advice... D:
You're allowed to do anything, it's just a question of whether or not you SHOULD do it.

If he has to make these "deals" about going to church etc, then he's still avoiding it. However, the idea of going to church can be intimidating to a lot of people. Instead of letting your church do the talking, try talking about God yourself. Tell him about how he has affected your life, and try to work in God in everyday conversation so that it's less intimidating.

He should be able to see that God is a big part of your life on a personal level, not just that you go to church every Sunday or whatever.
And if he really cares about you personally, he should want to know more about Christ in your life.

I'm going to assume you're fairly young (tell me if I'm wrong), so you don't really have to worry about marriage right now. It's good to look to the future, but right now is the time to figure out what's important in your life and get your priorities together.
Having a very close, personal, loving relationship with Jesus will help very much in relationships with others, because that's where you will learn what love really is. People are a great blessing in your life, but never forget that God IS love.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

starry night-163

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 pm
Saint Crazy S Requiem
I pray that you can find the right thing to do in the eyes of God in your situation.

as for advice... D:
You're allowed to do anything, it's just a question of whether or not you SHOULD do it.

If he has to make these "deals" about going to church etc, then he's still avoiding it. However, the idea of going to church can be intimidating to a lot of people. Instead of letting your church do the talking, try talking about God yourself. Tell him about how he has affected your life, and try to work in God in everyday conversation so that it's less intimidating.

He should be able to see that God is a big part of your life on a personal level, not just that you go to church every Sunday or whatever.
And if he really cares about you personally, he should want to know more about Christ in your life.

I'm going to assume you're fairly young (tell me if I'm wrong), so you don't really have to worry about marriage right now. It's good to look to the future, but right now is the time to figure out what's important in your life and get your priorities together.
Having a very close, personal, loving relationship with Jesus will help very much in relationships with others, because that's where you will learn what love really is. People are a great blessing in your life, but never forget that God IS love.

Your right I'm am fairly young I'm going to be 18 in a couple of months and him 19 this thursday however marriage is and isn't the problem you see if we continue then chances are we are probably gonna want to get married but I can't so then what? And if I havn't told that I'm not allowed to marry a non Christian then what? I mean after all that time and I never told him neutral that would be sad sad however I do like your advice about talking with him about God when we talk and as for the church thing he is scared of them however he thinks it's boring and he won't go he used to go to a catholic church but not anymore he found it boring and I was catholic too and would agree aswell however he doesn't really like it because it's boring to him, he says he falls asleep (knowing him I would believe that).  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm
I was in your situation, but it was reversed. My boyfriend was the one who was involved in his church and trying to further his faith and I was the one hesitant to go and tried to make excuses for myself. But I decided to give it a shot anyway because I realized it was important to him and his family. Initially, I only went to church because I wanted to make my boyfriend happy. But then I started going because I wanted to. Anyone can go to church a few times to make their partner happy. But he isn't going to convert just because you're a Christian. He's going to need to attend church and believe in Christ because it's what he wants to do, not what you want him to do. Faith isn't something we can turn on and off depending on who's in our lives. My boyfriend could make me go to church, sure. But I wouldn't have been learning anything or accepted Jesus Christ as my savior if I didn't develop the drive to further my spiritual growth.

There's a good chance that he's not going to want to go to church regularly, let alone convert. If marrying a Christian means that much to you (which I am assuming it does, considering how distraught you appear) then maybe it's time to break it off. I know it hurts and it's not something you want to do, but it might be something you're going to have to consider. He can't become a Christian for you. He needs to want to become a Christian because he has made a connection with Jesus Christ and he has accepted Him as his savior. That needs to come from the inside. It won't be sincere if he does it for the sake of your relationship.  

Wishboxx

Wishboxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 pm
I found something that might make you feel better about this issue. Read 1 Corinthians 7:12-16. It talks about the saved marrying the unsaved and what to do in that particular relationship. You are able to marry your boyfriend, if he chooses to not convert. However, you must must must realize that it's going to be more difficult than you can ever have imagined. There will be many fights that will stem from how different you two are in terms of faith. You will fight to save him from damnation and he will fight to continue sinning and live without the Law. Please take this into consideration when deciding what you're going to do with your relationship.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:05 am
Wishboxx
I was in your situation, but it was reversed. My boyfriend was the one who was involved in his church and trying to further his faith and I was the one hesitant to go and tried to make excuses for myself. But I decided to give it a shot anyway because I realized it was important to him and his family. Initially, I only went to church because I wanted to make my boyfriend happy. But then I started going because I wanted to. Anyone can go to church a few times to make their partner happy. But he isn't going to convert just because you're a Christian. He's going to need to attend church and believe in Christ because it's what he wants to do, not what you want him to do. Faith isn't something we can turn on and off depending on who's in our lives. My boyfriend could make me go to church, sure. But I wouldn't have been learning anything or accepted Jesus Christ as my savior if I didn't develop the drive to further my spiritual growth.

There's a good chance that he's not going to want to go to church regularly, let alone convert. If marrying a Christian means that much to you (which I am assuming it does, considering how distraught you appear) then maybe it's time to break it off. I know it hurts and it's not something you want to do, but it might be something you're going to have to consider. He can't become a Christian for you. He needs to want to become a Christian because he has made a connection with Jesus Christ and he has accepted Him as his savior. That needs to come from the inside. It won't be sincere if he does it for the sake of your relationship.

Yes I know he can't do this just because of me and I don't want him to be a christian just because of me I want him to do it for Christ and for himself not for me and only God can change him and do all this no else can, and that is what's called election and predestination.
John 6:44-45
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Ephesians 1:4-6
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.  

starry night-163

starry night-163

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 am
Wishboxx
I found something that might make you feel better about this issue. Read 1 Corinthians 7:12-16. It talks about the saved marrying the unsaved and what to do in that particular relationship. You are able to marry your boyfriend, if he chooses to not convert. However, you must must must realize that it's going to be more difficult than you can ever have imagined. There will be many fights that will stem from how different you two are in terms of faith. You will fight to save him from damnation and he will fight to continue sinning and live without the Law. Please take this into consideration when deciding what you're going to do with your relationship.

I think that only applies to those who were already married, but I could be wrong however I doubt it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 pm
starry night-163
Wishboxx

I think that only applies to those who were already married, but I could be wrong however I doubt it.

Sometimes the greatness of the Bible lies not in what the verses originally meant, but how they apply to you personally.
Everybody's walk with Christ is different; pray expectantly for God to show you the paths /you/ can take.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff