Reply Community Lounge
I Just Had To.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 am
Being back in school meant I got to ask my parents for something. That something was a laptop. My dad owns a computer store so he just build me one.

It sucks.

I love my parents and I love the fact that they took the time and money to do this for me which is why I feel so bad. But the damn thing is so freaking slow, has a half hour battery life, it's a think pad and I hate those, I specifically told my parents how much I hate them. It runs on XP which has outdated programs on it. Now before you cast judgments and be all like "you whiny spoiled b***h!" I know that my dad got me a think pad because they're one of the most durable laptops out there and I love him for that as he was thinking about something that would last me a while. Also, I tried with this dinosaur! I sat down at mom and dads updating Microsoft word the computer crashed 3 times when I tried. Dad fixed word for me, so then I went to download some of my course documents..... it crashed. When we got home I found out that I need a wireless stick for it to have internet. I wouldn't download the drivers for the stick, that's when we found out that the thing only had a life of half an hour.

When I'm at school I need something that won't crash when I try and get things from my courses, I need something that can last the class and not die on me, and I need something where I'm not spending more time on upgrading the thing than I am doing my homework. So we broke down and went out and got cheap notebook. Something that can keep up with me and what I'm doing. I figure what I'll do is slowly upgrade the think pad to where I need it to be and then use that. The wireless stick thing will still piss me off though.

Spoonfeedz time!

Anything like this happen to you? You get something that you know came from someone's heart with the best intentions, but it turned out to not be what you need or can use?

Laptops/netbooks.

Whatever else pops into your heads.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Most campuses have computer labs. Some are 24/7. biggrin  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:05 am
I know my school has computer labs, I just don't know if they're for classes or for people who need them. Our library has some too but they're usually full.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am
unless you're at a small school, you usually have to book your computer time in the lab or library. I was lucky; my program had a dedicated lab that we could sign out a key for, as long as there wasn't a class in there.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:10 pm
My school uses a sign in system for the smaller labs and the big ones are first come first serve.

Usually there's an attendant, so if you interrogate or question one, you may find the answers you seek.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:03 am
No matter what type of laptop it is, it shouldn't be crashing all the time. Unstable install, faulty drivers, or something may be loose on the inside. Possibly a virus on it, as all of those could cause crashes.

For the battery life, not much you can do there >_>

As for the thing being a dinosaur... Well, not much I can say there. You're not spoiled for needing something more reliable and long lasting with it's active use lifespan if you're taking classes. Perhaps he could hook you up with a better battery if he owns a computer store? Or at the very least get you a discount on the things you need for it?

Luckily, I don't need a computer other than the one they provide me for my classes, and those are decent enough towers to do my coursework. Then again, it helps to know that I have this beast waiting for me at home to game on biggrin  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm
@Kals, the college I'm going to has several different campuses around Ontario. The campus I go to isn't the main one either so it is pretty small.

@ Panny, I could see if he could look into getting a better battery for it. I really don't want my parents to think I don't appreciate what they did for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:55 am
Find a cool friend who will sell you his cheap cus he is getting a new one anyways

thats what I did xD  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am
Love it! rofl  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff