Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
So I didn't go watch Harry potter because...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

starry night-163

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:03 pm
I found out it has profanity and they use the name of the Lord in vain. Now my question is does that matter?
Quote:
Is it ok to watch Harry Potter? I'm stuck on that one xd I want to see it but I don't know if I should or if I shouldn't. So yeah any answers would be very much appreciated. My brothers going to go watch the new one this sunday I think... so yeah if you could answer it before then that would be so awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 pm
The Bible says that magic is bad, because it was/is related to Devil worship. The Harry Potter universe wizards are not worshipping Satan. The wizards in Harry Potter is/ are basically superheroes in a sense, because their magic comes from their bloodline, with-in, friendship, and love. So personally I do not think that it is wrong to watch Harry Potter. But that is my personal opinion.  

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

Bioluminescent Sharpies

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:23 pm
To me, Harry Potter is fine. Sure it's about an unholy practice, but it sends a message. My mom pointed out when we were watching the forth one (Goblet of Fire) when Harry was dueling Voldemort in the graveyard after he killed Cedric she said that that was her favorite part of the movie because it said what satan does to people; he makes them feel beaten, like there is no way out of it, but you keep going with help from loved ones and faith and that helps Harry win.
But of course, that's just me. If you think that it goes against Christ, no one's stopping you from thinking that.
God bless. c:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:44 pm
It's just fiction. It's okay to read anything you want really.
Also, Harry Potter has a very good message to it, care for the ones you love, triumph over evil etc. So it's not like it's setting a bad example for anybody.
(I could talk about other books that do set bad examples for people, but I wont.) ;P

Just because it's about "witchcraft" doesn't make it bad. (It's not even invoking Satan or anything like that anyway.)
Now if you start to believe that Harry Potter is real and run around trying to curse people and stuff, you've got problems, but those problems are probably beyond the book itself.

Also, I need to get around to seeing the new movie. D:  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:54 pm
It's a fiction series. There is nothing wrong with it. I don't see a problem with watching Harry Potter. I can't wait to see the the final installments of the series.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:19 pm
Saying that Harry Potter is bad because of magic would be to discredit the entire Chronicles of Narnia for magic is used there also, but yet the Chronicles of Narnia and specifically the author of that book is placed next to the Bible.  

Someoneiknow

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:29 pm
Hmmm true... Ok thanks! I guess it's a yes then! THANK YOU ALL! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:37 pm
Personally I love Harry Potter but I love the Lord more. Really as long as you dont believe in what is in the book and God is still first in your life then it is ok to like.  

Riku Elmwick

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:53 pm
Riku Elmwick
Personally I love Harry Potter but I love the Lord more. Really as long as you dont believe in what is in the book and God is still first in your life then it is ok to like.

same here which is why I decided I would ask smile but I don't really believe in it I just like it is all smile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:34 pm
It's a very good movie. I actually just went to see it. I know that the bible says magic is bad and stuff, but seriously they celebrate Christmas in the Harry Potter world O;

J.K Rowling is careful not to mention why they celebrate christmas, because that might spark some anger among un-religous folk.

But anyhow, yes, it is a very good movie. <3

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15 pm
well I thank you all for your replys but I didn't go watch it because of the profanity and blasphemy in it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:19 pm
:/

Okay. If that bothers you then you don't have to see it.

I still want to see it though.
I see profanity and blasphemy on a daily basis, yeah it's very bad, but that's the messed up world we live in... I guess I'm somewhat jaded in that respect.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 pm
Saint Crazy The Follower
:/

Okay. If that bothers you then you don't have to see it.

I still want to see it though.
I see profanity and blasphemy on a daily basis, yeah it's very bad, but that's the messed up world we live in... I guess I'm somewhat jaded in that respect.

I see it everywhere to in my house, outside, etc. but I think there's a difference when you didn't know it was there to when you willingly go and pay for it as pastor Tim Conway said.  
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games