Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Christians that don't observe Christmas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 am
I personally don't observe Christmas for various reasons, and I was wondering what other Christians that don't observe Christmas do instead? My family loves doing it because its "tradition" and the last thing I want is cause problems on a holiday that's supposed to bring people joy.

What I think I'll be doing is just go to family gatherings if I'm invited just out of kindness, but I don't plan on giving anyone gifts (except a Bible if any of my catholic relatives don't have their own personal one yet...). I do, however, would like to send out gifts to Christian orphanages across the world and mail out childrens Bible's and maybe clothes to wear as well. I might actually want to try to volunteer somehow somewhere during the Christmas week as well.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: One thing I plan on doing and suggest others to do is Operation Christmas Child - send a shoe box full of small gifts for poor children around the world. http://www.samaritanspurse.org/  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 am
Going from this subject (and knowing it is very touchy) i think that Christmas today isn't supposed to be what it is. Christmas should be about celebrating Christ's birth. Yet, today everyone focuses on buying this or that for him/her. We really need to keep our priorities straight.

And i like that you're thinking about volunteering or giving of yourself to others. Sometimes we all need someone to inspire us. 3nodding  

CrimsonsDecayingRose

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 am
I think the holiday itself is fantastic, it's all about what you make of it.

I like to get gifts for people I know, I'm not the best gift-giver (I often forget or don't have the time/money to get them) but if I can, I do.

I've volunteered at the Salvation Army before at Christmastime, it's always a good thing to give to the community.

Also, being with family is important at holidays, especially for people like me who are in college or have other obligations away from family.

Unfortunately for me, my parents have almost stopped caring about holidays in general... we still have a good meal together but they just don't care much for festivities anymore. I'll probably use my time around Christmas to visit friends as well. As for gifts, well, we'll see what I can come up with. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:55 pm
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

Operation Christmas Child is a wonderful thing to be involved in!

Also for volunteering your time, are there any soup kitchens or local shelters in your area that you could give you time at? Maybe go around your neighborhood and ask the people to donate their unused clothing and such to be donated to a shelter or Salvation Army or something like that. there are MANY food banks that could really use the extra hands to pass out food bags to the needy or anything of that nature.

I partake in Christmas because for me I'm celebrating the gift that God gave us through the birth of his son. To me this is a magical time, but of course like most things and like saint said, it's what you make of it.

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Azkeel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
I personally consider it just another day. I'd rather spread love year round then sanction a specific time of the year. And as for celebrations I tend to celebrate randomly through out the year no specific day. Tomarrow is not promised so why not rejoice today?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am
My family celebrates Chistmas all out.
Christmas lasts 3 days in my family. On Christmas Eve we all go to mass and afterwards we go to my granny and grandad's house to celebrate.

The next day my granny and grandad come to our house for Christmas dinner. Later in the evening we all go to my uncle's house to celebrate. This is different to Christmas Eve, this is more for fun, the adults drink beer and everyone watches the Christmas specials of our favourite TV shows.

On St. Stephen's day, the family comes to our house. This is a more relaxing event. The adults stay in the kitchen and talk and have tea and biscuits while my cousin and I stay in living room and play video games.

Later in the week we visit my Dad's family who live a few hours away.

So Christmas is a big occasion here. But my family don't often think about the whole purpose of the holiday. I try to think about God and thank him for the wonderful occasion as much as I can over the holiday.  

xMockingJay

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm
Do of it whatever you like.
We have all of our lives to celebrate the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.
What I love about being a Christ follower is that we are not restricted by dates/rituals/ nor customs.

If you want to use Christmas as an excuse to spread God's love then go for it.
There's nothing wrong with that.
Just let it not be only a speckle of what it could be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am
CrimsonsDecayingRose
Going from this subject (and knowing it is very touchy) i think that Christmas today isn't supposed to be what it is. Christmas should be about celebrating Christ's birth. Yet, today everyone focuses on buying this or that for him/her. We really need to keep our priorities straight.

And i like that you're thinking about volunteering or giving of yourself to others. Sometimes we all need someone to inspire us. 3nodding

It is. Celebrating Christmas is about recognizing the significance of the day and giving homage to the one born into the world. What people call "celebrating" is the commercial holiday in the USA. How you celebrate it depends on your family and how you give honor to Christ. In a way, you are still celebrating.. just not the typical non-Christian, American way.  

daddinar

Shy Phantom

Azume-chan

Friendly Elder

9,400 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:07 am
I'm one of those. Once my parents found out the pagan stuff from the original holiday we completely stopped but that was sooooo long ago I don't remember all we have is a vhc tape of a Christmas tree or something. In fact we don't celebrate any holiday (even commercial wise) aside of birthdays if you consider that a "holiday" but not even that is highly celebrated since we're always short on money. I'm lucky enough to get any thing in my birthday besides the cake. I just don't like Christmas because its so materialistic... anyways, Jesus wasn't even born in the winter season... eek  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:21 am
Azume-chan
I'm one of those. Once my parents found out the pagan stuff from the original holiday we completely stopped but that was sooooo long ago I don't remember all we have is a vhc tape of a Christmas tree or something. In fact we don't celebrate any holiday (even commercial wise) aside of birthdays if you consider that a "holiday" but not even that is highly celebrated since we're always short on money. I'm lucky enough to get any thing in my birthday besides the cake. I just don't like Christmas because its so materialistic... anyways, Jesus wasn't even born in the winter season... eek

According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus was born December 25th, near the end of Herod's reign, which would place His birth at 6-4 BCE. Luke tells us that Jesus was born around the time the Roman governor Quirinus took a census (ballot/survey) in Judea. That would place His birth at 6-7 CE, ten years from the end of Herod's death. Many people believe that Jesus was born on December 25th. We as a nation believe that Lord Jesus Christ was born on Christmas Day.

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the King." - Matthew 2

Think of it this way. They couldn't find an inn. They were all full. Obviously it was cold, or they would not be looking for shelter to deliver the Child. So, thereon, found a stable where there could be warmth compromised,

Matthew 2:16 (KJV)

"Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two tears old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men."  

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Robotic Chewie19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 am
Cappeh Sensai
Azume-chan

According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus was born December 25th, near the end of Herod's reign, which would place His birth at 6-4 BCE. Luke tells us that Jesus was born around the time the Roman governor Quirinus took a census (ballot/survey) in Judea. That would place His birth at 6-7 CE, ten years from the end of Herod's death. Many people believe that Jesus was born on December 25th. We as a nation believe that Lord Jesus Christ was born on Christmas Day.

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the King." - Matthew 2

Think of it this way. They couldn't find an inn. They were all full. Obviously it was cold, or they would not be looking for shelter to deliver the Child. So, thereon, found a stable where there could be warmth compromised,

"Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two tears old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men."

Truth about Christmas  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:24 am
Cappeh Sensai
Azume-chan

Luke 2:8
King James Version (KJV)
8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

Sheep were never in the field by night in Israel after the third week of October so Luke 2:8 shows that it Jesus could not be born in December  

Robotic Chewie19

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 am
I believe you are misinterpreting scriptures. No where does it say in the scriptures that sheep never did abide in the fields. Jesus always talked about being the Shepherd flocking His sheep. Jesus always spoke in Parables and if that wasn't the case, He wouldn't use "Shepherd flocking My sheep," as an example.

I'd like to know where you get your information, because I've researched all over, and I did not find any thing about sheep not living in Israel at all times. That information is irrelevant, when you try to match it up with the scriptures. It doesn't fit together, like you are trying to say. According to the Bible this is what it says, in Luke 2:8 it states: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night." That could be any time at night.

You are also not reading the scripture as well. A shepherd can have several flocks of different animals. No where in your terms does it state that what you read is a Shepherd of sheep. It could be flocking cows, goats, etc;. ..

There were many different shepherds in Israel. Shepherd means to herd, or guide. A Shepherd is also known as a spiritual leader, or teacher.

Why don't you read Matthew Chapter 2, all the way through once more. It states in the Bible, in Matthew "Wiseman," came and worshiped Christ, what you are looking at is what God calls Shepherds - groups of people teaching, tending to their herd of others that have not found the light. There are many definitions of a Shepherd.

Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games