Just some thoughts cobbled together...

While the most iconic symbol of Christianity is the Cross (with or without an icon of Jesus on it), it's also true that another appropriate icon is that of an open grave... the very important matter being that Jesus didn't simply die for our sins, but came back. Some might disagree with this thought, but it's my personal belief that before he died, Jesus took on all of the anger God had towards sin, since the only thing capable of surviving the Wrath of God, when unleashed, is God himself. This whole universe could have been blown away with ease.

It does, however, bring up the question of 'Why does God permit sin?' A question which the Church, regardless of denomination, should have an answer for. I'd like to attempt providing one, and I'd enjoy hearing some people's thoughts in response.

To begin with, the Bible tells us that all humans (except Jesus) are sinners. Now, a puppet on strings cannot be held accountable for the actions of the puppeteer; if something is only controlled, it is inherently unable to sin, because it isn't actually doing anything... it's simply being tugged around on strings. Therefore, in order to be able to sin, we must have the choice to do so. In the same vein, God offers forgiveness and salvation... the key word here is 'offers'.

There is only one string attached to this gift, and that string is that you have to ask for it. Like any true gift, you have the freedom to reject it, and this may be thought of as a part of the only thing that God will not forgive you for; essentially, rejecting and denying him. Myself, I believe this can only be done unpardonably on Judgement Day; there are many in this world who have opposed and denied God at one point (a story of saying three times that Jesus was unknown comes to mind...), only to later come to follow Him, and I doubt they remain condemned.

Also, however, is another relevant detail of this gift, and it's that an alternative was offered in the first place. If God did not permit sin, we could not have the choice to follow him, and any decision to do so would be meaningless. You can't choose if you only have one option, and all of this together suggests a lot about God. Most prominently, perhaps, is that He wants us to choose Him. To make us choose Him would be a simple matter for an all-powerful God, but He hasn't done that. He lets us have the choice of following Him or not, and that's why He permits sin to exist. If He did not permit it, then we'd have no choice. A confession forced is meaningless. Only when we make the choice for ourselves in whether or not to follow God can the meaning be found.

Personally? I've chosen to follow God. Getting baptized this Sunday, actually, and this sort of came about from some of what I'd thought when making that choice.