Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Entertainment Forum
Great Book~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Read it?
  Yes.
  Le NOPE.
View Results

Avioke

Conservative Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 am
"The Shack" is a wonderful short little book by William P. Young. I've no idea if it is popular or not, but it's touching and I can admit that I cried. I encourage you to read this--I don't know how much truth is in it, but I would love to start a discussion. Now, I haven't read it in a while, so pardon me if I've no idea what you're talking about. biggrin

Here is the website for the book. Near the bottom, click 'Read' to see the covers, title pages, foreword, etc. Also there is Chapter One. It's a very spiritual book.

http://www.theshackbook.com/index.html

Discussion:

The way God is portrayed is a little... Well, I'm just not sure that I like it. I don't remember which, but it may be the Holy Spirit that is portrayed as a woman. I don't have any particular disagreements with it, I just don't think I would have chosen to represent the Holy Spirit with a woman. It's just not my first thought.

However, that could be the entire point of it. God is not what he seems. Some of us imagine him as an old wizard-looking guy like Gandalf the Gray with the beard and the wise look to him. I don't, really, but we cannot pin a face to God, especially not the Holy Spirit.

One of my favorite parts of the entire book is when the main character asks the Holy Spirit about Religion. "It is true that relationships are a whole lot messier than rules, but rules will never give you answers to the deep questions of the heart and they will never love you," is the Holy Spirit's response. I wholly believe this. I don't like Religion, because Religion is rules and a list of what you believe. I love the concept of a relationship with God, and this part just made me scream "YES!"

The Shack is not just for Christians. Athiests could read this and enjoy it, I think, though I'm not sure they could come out of reading it without thinking at least once that there could be this God somewhere.

Anyway, I'd better be off to bed, because my train of thought is gone. xD I shan't bother you all with my ramblings anymore tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:46 am
My spirit connects to yours when you say religion/beliefs, and having a personal relationship with God are different. It's a totally different experience, and not only that, the experience grows and gains more 'inner-man' knowledge from the Holy Spirit that resides in us. Thank you for posting this sweetheart. God Bless you.  

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Avioke

Conservative Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:02 am
Happy Christmas, and God Bless you as well, friend. biggrin

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, though. Rules, of course, are needed. The Ten Commandments. For us humans, rules are necessary. But with the relationship with God, we will follow those rules without him needing to enforce them. I don't think I'm wording this correctly--it's a bit early and I didn't sleep too well last night, it being Christmas and all. xD But you all see my point, I'm sure. biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:01 pm
I do understand what you are saying to me. Think of it this way. The Word is instructions to life, and salvation, my friend. You are very right, when you say, "He does not need to enforce them."

I would like to share some books with you too.

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Entertainment Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items