Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
"Do no harm"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 pm
"Do no harm" is the wiccan creed. Essentially, do whatever you want but do not hurt others.
I was wondering from fellow Christians:

what do you think about that?
do you believe it yourself?
if you don't believe it, how do you respond to others who do believe it?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 pm
It certainly doesn't seem like a bad idea. Obviously, there's a little more to following Christian law than "do whatever you want but do not hurt others", but I certainly think not hurting others is an important part of my faith, because I am taught to love others and not judge them. The last six of the ten commandments essentially revolve around not hurting people.  

icdogjt nlkalsfmk

7,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Mark Twain 100

daddinar

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:30 pm
My sister considers herself a wiccan and I figure something about that. Life is so much easier that way, isn't it? You get to do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt people. But, that also can cause harm to people, can't it? It makes life feel almost empty. God gave us a reason to live other than to be reborn over and over... to live in paradise with him and to suffer but have reason behind it. That we have our God to relate to. But, God also wants us to love people... and help them. That makes more the difference in the world than to not hurt them... ignore them maybe. Don't you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm
PhantomHoofbeats
My sister considers herself a wiccan and I figure something about that. Life is so much easier that way, isn't it? You get to do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt people. But, that also can cause harm to people, can't it? It makes life feel almost empty. God gave us a reason to live other than to be reborn over and over... to live in paradise with him and to suffer but have reason behind it. That we have our God to relate to. But, God also wants us to love people... and help them. That makes more the difference in the world than to not hurt them... ignore them maybe. Don't you think?
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I agree with this...

Also the "do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone" is a cope out to truly loving people. If you love someone you won't cause them harm and you won't want to cause them harm. you will do what you can to help build them up. Hurting someone isn't just physical either... you can cause great mental and emotional hurts to a person and not even know it because you are "doing what you want". We as Christians are suppose to love all, help each other grow into Christ-like people, and never cause anyone to stumble.

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Cha cha miku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 am
Well witch craft is satanic and we all know he wants to destroy us he makes things seem nice even though there pure evil. witch craft was made to hurt those who they pleased. Witchcraft also is that people worship satin or a deamon powers and there so called "goddess" (note the air quotes meaning shes not real) is just a deamon or another form of satin. it's not good for people to practice wicked things.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:05 pm
Here's the thing about "doing no harm"...

By simply living your life, you are using up precious resources, especially if you live in a developed country like the US. Every single thing you use is a product of somebody's hard work, even if you don't know it.
If you eat food, meat or vegetarian, somebody had to give up their precious time to get that food to you. There are people starving because you are eating. Is that not harm?
If you drive a car, you're taking advantage of the people who designed it, who built it's parts, who built the roads, who passed the traffic laws, etc. etc.

Even if you grow your own food and make your own clothes, you are taking up precious space that somebody else could use, especially in a world whose population is approaching 7 billion. You are breathing other people's air, living on other people's land, and getting in other people's way for the sake of your own success.

Now. Let's take into account the social factor. The everyday acts of talking to people, meeting others, working with others. What if you do something that annoys them, even in the slightest? What if you believe something that offends somebody else? (and just about anything could offend somebody...) What if you want something that somebody else wants?
My point is, just about anything we say or do has the potential to harm somebody, even if it seems slight.

Human beings are self-centered creatures. It is our nature - in fact, we need to be to survive. It only makes sense that somewhere along the way of preserving ourselves, we are going to cause harm. To ask us to "do no harm" is impossible.
We can always seek to offset the harm we inflict, by doing good deeds. The evil in us will always outweigh the good, but maybe, just maybe, the goodness of God can shine though us, if only for a moment. That is the goal of our good deeds.

And when that doesn't happen - because we are still evil creatures after all - the best we can do is seek forgiveness for the harm we've done. And who is the best Forgiver of all? Jesus Christ.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Azkeel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 pm
They're forgetting the first comandment with that one. As well as if memory serves me correctly they are big in the whole fornication scene. I have yet to meet a wiccan that was happy with themselves yet. So that do no harm thing what about harming themselves?  
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games