Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Bibles

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:46 pm
Why are there books appearing in one Bible and not another Bible?
Which is the correct Word of God?
Why were some books removed? Who removed them? When did that happen?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:42 pm
PawzPrint

Oh, I don't remember the complete story but this is basically what happened: Before Jesus' birth (I don't remember the time) the Jewish leaders "purged" the Jewish Bible because some of the books were not originally written in Hebrew but Greek instead. They thought they couldn't be inspired by God since they weren't written in their native language. Christian religions (not counting Catholicism and a few others) took up the Jewish Bible plus the New Testament books. Some religions are putting the books back in but I don't believe Orthodox Jews have.  

daddinar

Shy Phantom

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:11 pm
PhantomHoofbeats
PawzPrint

Give examples so I know what your talking about, because with the information I have I can only make assumptions to what you mean.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:15 pm
Like what do you mean? I know the Catholic bible has atleast 80 books in it. I don't think it's right to assume that just because a bible has more than 66 books in it is not the correct word of God. I mean all of God's words are not contained in that tiny little library.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

daddinar

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm
Shadows-shine
Like what do you mean? I know the Catholic bible has atleast 80 books in it. I don't think it's right to assume that just because a bible has more than 66 books in it is not the correct word of God. I mean all of God's words are not contained in that tiny little library.

That's not what I'm saying. I learned this in school a while back. It was the Jewish rabbis who (I don't remember the reason now off the top of my mind) took out certain books in their Bible because it wasn't written in Hebrew so they believed it wasn't inspired by God (and some Christians still believe) but certain religions put them back in. If I'm not mistaken, Martin Luther also took out a few as well.

Did that sound like I was making any of the other Bibles less...? I don't understand.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:42 pm
RsnblFaith
PhantomHoofbeats
PawzPrint

Give examples so I know what your talking about, because with the information I have I can only make assumptions to what you mean.

She's saying that some Bibles have different Books written in them. It's call the Apocrypha or "hidden books".

daddinar

Shy Phantom

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:51 pm
PhantomHoofbeats
Shadows-shine

That's not what I'm saying. I learned this in school a while back. It was the Jewish rabbis who (I don't remember the reason now off the top of my mind) took out certain books in their Bible because it wasn't written in Hebrew so they believed it wasn't inspired by God (and some Christians still believe) but certain religions put them back in. If I'm not mistaken, Martin Luther also took out a few as well.

Did that sound like I was making any of the other Bibles less...? I don't understand.

No, no I didn't state that to be directed at any one. Nor was I insinuating that you were making other versions of the Bible inferior. Sorry, I should have stated in my post what I meant. I was simply throwing that out there.

I know there are certain sects in Christianity that believe that the 66 books in the Bible are the only true word of God, while other sects believe that there are more books than just those, like the Catholics. While others believe that God is still revealing scripture.

I know that Martin Luther had removed a few books. If I remember correctly he was the one that didn't like the Book of Revelations. And I've never heard about the Jewish Rabbis altering the text of the Bible. I know there are several men through out history, John Wessely I know tried to remove a few books from the canon too, but he wanted to add some in place of those. I took a vast amount of notes on this subject, but can't seem to find them at the moment.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm
PhantomHoofbeats
She's saying that some Bibles have different Books written in them. It's call the Apocrypha or "hidden books".

Yes, that is what I'm asking about. I guess to be more specific, the Catholic Bible vs the Christian Bible. Why are there less books in the latter? Who decided that? Does that mean that the other books in the Catholic Bible should not be taken as the word of God? Or are they?  

WoodSorrelWitch

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:09 pm
PawzPrint
PhantomHoofbeats

Yes, that is what I'm asking about. I guess to be more specific, the Catholic Bible vs the Christian Bible. Why are there less books in the latter? Who decided that? Does that mean that the other books in the Catholic Bible should not be taken as the word of God? Or are they?

I don't think it's right to assume that one is the Word of God and one is not. The Bible that we have today was not fully compiled into the library of "ta biblia" (Greek word for "the books" which is literally what the bible is) until around the middle ages, I think...have to double check on that one. Really it was just a bunch of separate documents and records before it was compiled into what we know today as the Bible.

If I remember correctly there less books in the Protestant bible because of all the early leaders not liking what was contained in the apocrypha, they claimed they contradicted eachother, they contradicted the "canonized" texts, etc. There was a lot of debate when the Bible was complied into the canon that it is now that several books should not be included. There were some men who believed that the Book of Revelation shouldn't be included. Some men believed that the epistles of Paul should be left out, others didn't like the books of Matthew, Mark or Luke. Some wanted to add books like the Book of Enoch, remove the book of Jude, etc. I also know there are a lot of people who don't like the apocrypha because they believe that it's too repititive of what's already in the Bible. I don't have all my notes at the ready, but I did quite a bit of research into this. If I find them I will post some more info or more specific info like names of the people who decided to remove a lot of the books from the protestant bibles. It's quite fascinating to read about.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games