Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Funky_Monk13

5,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm
Hi there, I have a new comic book character I'm working on that I need a little help with. Here are the details I have so far:

Civilian life:
Name: Jimothy Tedword

Hero life:
Name: Mr. Wizard
occupation: The world's first and foremost expert on all things magical and occult.

Biography/ origins:
I'd like for dear Jimothy to be leading a dull life with a job that he hates, car he doesn't want to drive, house he doesn't want to live in, etc. Jimothy is looking for some excitement or adventure in his life; something to spice up his life. While buying coffee at the local coffee shop he notices an ad on the community board for a cult looking for new followers. Deciding this could be quite fun and nearly commitment free short of going to the meetings Jimothy doesn't see the harm in trying it as the activity he has so desperately been looking for.

Long Story short Jimothy joins the cult and a powerful spirit who hangs around the cult headquarters for its own amusement takes notice of Jimothy. The spirit decides to empower Jimothy with the ability to make the spells in all the old texts and manuscripts this cult reads work because he believes Jimothy is special for two reasons. The spirit believes he is the perfect candidate for the job because A) he's looking for something to spice up his life anyways and B) his profession has made him almost obnoxiously analytical of texts and data thus he would read the manuscripts carefully and use this power responsibly.

AND THUS! Jimothy Tedword a.k.a. Mr. Wizard is born! Sworn Magical protector of earth!

Here are the things I need help with:
The Spirit: needs a name
The Cult: should it be evil or good (if evil it poses a problem for Jimothy who has to pretend to be evil in order to gain access to the scripts.)
His motives: aside from the reasons the spirit chose, why should he fight for justice and good and all that jazz?

Any help I can get would be much appreciated!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm
While the name Jimothy Tedword makes me literally cringe, it's your cult I'm the most interested in. First of all, what does the cult worship? You said the spirit just hangs around, so I assume they don't worship it. So what makes them a cult? I guess that's where you have to start. To decide whether to make them good or evil, I'd flip a coin. And please don't tell me they refer to themselves as a cult, because cults, traditionally, are delusional about their cultishness, and don't call themselves cults. I'm also curious as to what makes this cult look appealing to him? He's looking for excitement, so what's so great about this?

Cults usually have very strict rules and laws, and often are very exclusive. I can't imagine they'd advertise by flier. I would believe that they would send out representatives to recruit members in person, so they could filter through who they believe is susceptible to their influence. I don't buy that they just let anybody in, especially newbies into their inner circles. Wouldn't Jimothy (that name makes me want to gag) have to work his way up in the ranks before he's trusted enough to be brought in?

I'll leave it off there. I've got plenty of more details I'm curious about, but I think you need to sort through what the cult is, what they worship, what they represent, and what makes them so appealing first. Then I'd get into their social structure. How their leadership works, and everything down from there.

Okay. Go!  

AurinJade

Mind-boggling Blob

Funky_Monk13

5,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:54 pm
Ah, perhaps one thing that I forgot to mention was that this my attempt at this is going to be a satire/ comedy sort of thing. My apologies I should've clarified that to begin with. But you have brought a lot of good point to mind that I'll have to consider. I'll get back to you with some answers ASAP.  
Character Concepts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games