Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Could I be called a true Christian?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MaidenEirys

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 pm
There a lot of things that you hear Christians are supposed to be doing, and the Bible says them too (I think it does, at least)...
But I don't feel like I ever do them and it makes me doubt if I'm truly a Christian and not just a "Sunday-Christian".

1. I feel bad because Christians are supposed to thrive on God's Word and they should follow what it says, but to be completely honest, I hate reading it. When I read it, it's not like I'm getting closer to God, but it's just something to pore over and study and memorize. Maybe that's how it's supposed to feel (I don't think so), but for me I can't imagine anyone could possibly enjoy it. To be blunt: it's boring (I feel bad now but it's best to be honest I hope...)

2. I regularly forget to pray, and there is rarely a day where I actually pray and put my heart into it and pray for more than 5 minutes 1 minute. That just... doesn't seem right.

3. I never do QT (Quiet Time/Daily Devotionals) anymore. I always forget to. Even when I bring my QT book around with me everywhere, I forget to. And QT is one of those things that bring you closer to God... So does that mean if I don't like QT, I don't want to get close to God?

I'm not really sure if I'm looking for suggestions, explanations, or whatever but I felt like I needed to get some help or guidance. So... help please?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 am
Well, I'll say something about my life. For a while, I felt like I didn't even have a foundation. I felt like I was a Sunday person, too...and wasn't Christian the rest of the week even though I tried. I think the reason I was uninterested in my church because my questions just were never answered and I didn't always understand it. I would be bored in church and always think to myself, "Another Sunday down...a lifetime to go." I hated that I thought like that, but I realized that the church might be the problem. I wasn't seeing truth, so I wasn't finding interest. I thought it was supposed to feel boring, too, but since I learned great stuff about the Bible and had the desire to learn and read more and more and ask questions and look it up, I feel like I'm doing better. It literally feels like I was starving for God's word. I never read the Bible on my own at home until this year. Just because you don't have interest and keep forgetting doesn't mean you're a fake Christian, it just means that there's room for you to grow and become stronger in your faith.

Ask questions, think of parts of the Bible that interest you and start there, or perhaps go to a different church or hear other people speak...sometimes there's that one person that's truly gifted to speak and they can reach your heart in the best of ways...God's word. I try to pray before I eat, or if I forget I pray before I take the next bite if I remember, or I pray afterwards. When I lay in bed at night, I pray to myself about life struggles, pray for friends, praise God for the good I have in my life, etc. Sometimes if you're too tired say a short prayer and sleep. Sometimes I pray in the middle of the day if something is going wrong, or it's a stressful moment, I will stop and pray to God that things will get better.

At times I was uninterested in that stuff, too, but I learned interesting facts from my husband. Don't just learn about what the Bible says, learn about the people's culture, how they lived their daily lives, how their political system worked, what they ate, where they slept, how hard some of them had to work to provide for their families, etc. I learned history behind Bible stories...about how the culture was at those times and how they dealt with things in society and it made it more interesting. It made the Bible feel like more than a book. It made it feel so interesting to have a lot of knowledge about things. It can also help your understanding of the Bible. and it's context a bit more. Don't just learn what the Bible says, learn about the people who lived it, etc. It's more fascinating that way when you figure, "Huh, some of these people seemed like they had it pretty rough and they still loved Jesus." I would also look into things like, "Did dragons exist? Are demons real? Were people around when there were dinosaurs?" The darker type of questions, but some are fascinating and you realize that perhaps some things we say are "mythological" like dragons and unicorns really aren't so mythological after all.

I hope you find something that works better for you and helps you grow! My prayers are with you =)  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:52 pm
Lately trying to fit God into my daily life has been a problem as well. What I have come to realize and build on is that I need to place God in the CENTER of my life. He's not supposed to be guy you go to only when you need him, he's always there to help you and guide your life. Because we are human we will never be perfect but since Jesus died for us we are granted forgiveness.
I hope I was able to help out!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm
@Aquatic_blue I should not just read the Bible, but look for things in the Bible that could be interesting to me... That sounds like a good idea! Time to do some internet research stuff whee

@callalilly1 So... instead of trying to fit God into my daily life, I should try to fit my daily life to God? I'm not sure if that's what you meant but it definitely makes sense! Thanks!  

MaidenEirys

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm
DISCLAIMER: My post is in no way an attempt to slander god, the bible, or anything of the sort. The humor I use in my words is simply that: Humor. I only put this at the top because I see how people might misinterpret my post in that way.

1) That's simply 90% of people's reaction to reading a long book: TL;DR.

No, no, I'm joking. But yes, it can get a bit boring simply reading the bible to know what is in it. My suggestion would be to read the parts that interest you first, such as a biblical situation that could fit somewhat to a current real life situation (You would be surprised at how many of those there are). After that, just see if you can bear through the rest. Because while it is god's word and it's still amazing, its not exactly a "can't put it down" book.

2) I believe that when you DO remember to pray, it could make up for any number of prayers you "miss". Because rather than taking the attitude of "7:00, time to pray", you're taking the attitude of "Hey, god is awesome, I feel like talking to him." Personally I find that to be a better way of praying. As for the time needed, there is no structured time you need to talk to god. I've had prayers that range from 30 minutes to 30 seconds. I meant what I said in each, I just had less to say in one versus the other.

3) I believe most of my post for your second question could be applied to this as well. If you dont like quiet time, it doesnt mean you dont want to get closer to god, unless you're not doing it BECAUSE you dont want to get closer to god.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm
The bible tells you to examin yourself to see if you are in the faith and it does tell you how you can know your Christian.
The first video I post is a video on 1 John which contains the test of faith. The rest are similar to it, they talk about true and false conversion and one a testimony. And the last 4 the Gospel and something to comfort you smile please watch them in full and in order, there are many decieved and few that find the truth. The reason I give you so many convicting videos that make you feel unsaved is because I want you to see that you have nothing to offer God and you can't save yourself, and you so you can see how radically depraved you are so you can get to the point of the Gospel but the last few are to comfort you and give you hope mrgreen I know it's alot but they all contain so much rich truth that will help you. I've been down the road your in right now many times and God keeps pulling me out.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 13:5
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?

James 2:14-26 (lol to long to post)

http://illbehonest.com/Examine-Yourself-Paul-Washer

http://illbehonest.com/The-Few-Piper-Washer-Ravenhill-Conway-Leiter

http://illbehonest.com/Lord-Lord-I-Never-Knew-You-Paul-Washer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncnhmzfpwo ( part 1, theres five to that lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24R_YYP6z8&feature=related (part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxwnldGZPA&feature=related (part 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlNxYX8pSbc&feature=related (part 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOptjcInfTY&feature=related (part 5)

http://illbehonest.com/Charo-Washers-Testimony-Charo-Washer

Now onto the comforting ones biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLwICOU9bCE (the last word is day lol it gets cut off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlv21zGARM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qt4qZUnWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDD6_Zo0Js

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMId-VgdAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvWdBq-rQw

Remember salvation is in faith in christ alone and nothing but smile so don't listen to your feelings, because remember the heart is deceitfully wicked and we walk by faith not by sight smile You're also free from rules(like the ten commandments, but doesn't mean you should sin as paul said in romans ch.6) don't follow anything legalistic.  

starry night-163

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 pm
Gregar828
DISCLAIMER: My post is in no way an attempt to slander god, the bible, or anything of the sort. The humor I use in my words is simply that: Humor. I only put this at the top because I see how people might misinterpret my post in that way.

No, no, I'm joking. But yes, it can get a bit boring simply reading the bible to know what is in it. My suggestion would be to read the parts that interest you first, such as a biblical situation that could fit somewhat to a current real life situation (You would be surprised at how many of those there are). After that, just see if you can bear through the rest. Because while it is god's word and it's still amazing, its not exactly a "can't put it down" book.

2) I believe that when you DO remember to pray, it could make up for any number of prayers you "miss". Because rather than taking the attitude of "7:00, time to pray", you're taking the attitude of "Hey, god is awesome, I feel like talking to him." Personally I find that to be a better way of praying. As for the time needed, there is no structured time you need to talk to god. I've had prayers that range from 30 minutes to 30 seconds. I meant what I said in each, I just had less to say in one versus the other.

3) I believe most of my post for your second question could be applied to this as well. If you dont like quiet time, it doesnt mean you dont want to get closer to god, unless you're not doing it BECAUSE you dont want to get closer to god.

I agree with #1 and #3 it's confusing in a way, please explain. But #2 I completely disagree with! if it's not biblical then it's false and I mean that with anything spiritual and anything involves God not things like math and secular things.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:50 pm
Prayer can simply be a conversation with God, like about something you don't like, or anything really, the bible say we should pray without ceasing
Quote:
1 Thessalonians 5:17
pray without ceasing;

starry night-163

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm
starry night-163
Gregar828

I agree with #1 and #3 it's confusing in a way, please explain. But #2 I completely disagree with! if it's not biblical then it's false and I mean that with anything spiritual and anything involves God not things like math and secular things.

...........I truly do not understand why you think that is "not biblical." All I'm saying is that I think that praying when you mean it, rather than having a structured prayer time like a chore, is better because you are more likely to put meaning into what you say.

But while we're on the subject of disagreements, I must disagree with your first post. Saying that humans are all deceitfully wicked and that we are depraved is incredibly wrong.

Let me ask you this: If all humans are depraved and have hearts that are deceitfully wicked, why do they possess the ability choose to accept Christ? Even better question, if they really ARE depraved, why do they make the choice to accept Him? Obviously, if you are choosing to accept Christ, then you are, at the moment, not a christian yet. So by your logic, Because you are not a christian, your heart would make the deceitfully wicked choice and choose to NOT accept Christ. So basically, if what was said in that comment was true, NOBODY would be christian.

And you're saying a person is free of all rules except the ten commandments............no. Just no. I can't even begin to get into how wrong this statement is.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm
@Gregar828 Thanks, that comforted me a lot... But what if I just don't feel like talking to him that often? I always thought people should pray to God a lot (doesn't really matter when, but as long as you're doing it sincerely like you said) because praying is talking to God.
And God is our Father, and Jesus is our Best Friend... If I really felt like they were, then I would feel like "talking" to them a lot more...

@starry nigh-163 Wow that's a lot of links! I'll try to watch them all when I have free time...
On rules... I like to keep things simple, so I've always just followed the 2 basic rules that Jesus gave us in Matthew 22:37-39 (I think it's really funny that I don't like reading the Bible and yet I can quote it) and another one, "Do what you think Jesus would do in that situation" because as Christians we are following his example. This is bringing up a new question, but is that set of rules okay?  

MaidenEirys

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:16 pm
I'm glad I could help. Now, as for not wanting to talk to god: Do you want to talk to your parents all the time? I'm going to guess no. Do you still love them? I hope that's a yes. Its kind of the same with god. Sometimes we just don't feel like talking to anyone. Though you would be surprised: When you don't want to talk to anyone, talking to god will give you the most benefit, even if it's just a quick "Yo, God and J.C., keep being awesome".

As for rules, here's mine: Be a good person, remember that God loves us and is awesome, Ask for forgiveness (and be genuinely sorry) when I mess up, don't intentionally bring harm to myself or someone else physically, mentally, or otherwise, and don't do anything that would make Jesus facepalm in disappointment. Its worked for me so far, so I think your rules will work for you, especially if you follow them.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm
MaidenEirys
@Gregar828 Thanks, that comforted me a lot... But what if I just don't feel like talking to him that often? I always thought people should pray to God a lot (doesn't really matter when, but as long as you're doing it sincerely like you said) because praying is talking to God.
And God is our Father, and Jesus is our Best Friend... If I really felt like they were, then I would feel like "talking" to them a lot more...

@starry nigh-163 Wow that's a lot of links! I'll try to watch them all when I have free time...
On rules... I like to keep things simple, so I've always just followed the 2 basic rules that Jesus gave us in Matthew 22:37-39 (I think it's really funny that I don't like reading the Bible and yet I can quote it) and another one, "Do what you think Jesus would do in that situation" because as Christians we are following his example. This is bringing up a new question, but is that set of rules okay?

Yes! They are ok If you love God then you won't lie, murder, commit adultery, etc. right? same with people, if you love them then you won't lie to them, kill them, commit adultery, forgive them, do good to them etc. right?  

starry night-163

starry night-163

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:45 pm
Gregar828
starry night-163
Gregar828

...........I truly do not understand why you think that is "not biblical." All I'm saying is that I think that praying when you mean it, rather than having a structured prayer time like a chore, is better because you are more likely to put meaning into what you say.

But while we're on the subject of disagreements, I must disagree with your first post. Saying that humans are all deceitfully wicked and that we are depraved is incredibly wrong.

Let me ask you this: If all humans are depraved and have hearts that are deceitfully wicked, why do they possess the ability choose to accept Christ? Even better question, if they really ARE depraved, why do they make the choice to accept Him? Obviously, if you are choosing to accept Christ, then you are, at the moment, not a christian yet. So by your logic, Because you are not a christian, your heart would make the deceitfully wicked choice and choose to NOT accept Christ. So basically, if what was said in that comment was true, NOBODY would be christian.

And you're saying a person is free of all rules except the ten commandments............no. Just no. I can't even begin to get into how wrong this statement is.

gonk This needs alot of explaining. What I disagreed with was #2 that praying when you remember will make up for prayers not prayed because it's not biblical, but yes there does not have to be a certain time to pray and a certain # of prayers you must pray, prayer is meant to help you, as Jesus said to peter, "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”(Matthew 26:41) pray to God that you may not fall into temptation and to disciplin you and conform you into the perfect image of Jesus, etc. without prayer how can expect to persevier until the end? peter denied Jesus because of his prid, that he was not gonna deny Jesus, no not him, he should have realized he was weak and could do nothing without God so he should been praying instead of sleeping but you can also pray for a # of things like help in school, etc. prayer is basically communion, we are to build a relation ship with Jesus because that's Christianity a relationship not a religion because religion is just a bunch of rules that say "hey God you see all the things I did, I should be let into heaven now" but that's not it at all now is it? It's more like trusting in Jesus ONLY and being reconciled to God and have relationship with him, like we were meant to. We are as the bible says to get to know him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpydcgGeFqo as for the depravity and wicked part,
Quote:
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment Isaiah 64:6
For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, ACCURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM. Galatians 3:10
Psalm 14:1-3

tell me we aren't radically deprived! Can you keep the whole law perfectly in one day?
As for the wicked part of the heart that's one's hard to explain I'll get back to you on that one cuz it's late.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 pm
No, I cannot be perfect, even for a single day. Yet I can still tell you, without a moment's hesitation, that not all humans are automatically deprived sinners. Yes, accepting god is what makes you a christian and allows you passage into heaven, but accepting god does not give you the ability to do good. People always have that ability.

Let's use the Dalai Lama for example, possibly the most peaceful man in the world. Is he christian? Nope. Would you say is morally deprived and will always choose the wrong path? I would tell you to see a doctor if you said yes. People have the ability to do good, even if they choose not to accept god. Sure, they sin because they don't believe in god, but that doesn't meant they will automatically do the wrong thing.  

Gregar828

Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff