Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
I have questions Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 pm
As Christians, why are we right and everyone else wrong?
How are you so certain?

Is it arrogant to think that Christianity is solely right and everyone else wrong?

Could it be that God is just showing Himself to others in different ways? (different religions)

And why are there so many freakin' translations of the Bible? Which one is right and which one is wrong, if at all? And please don't tell me that they all are basically the same thing. And please don't simply rely on the reason of 'divine intervention'. Why would God need to make different translations?

Yeah...I have questions....and need answers......thank you.....  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

I'm supposed to be in the process of doing a informational thread about the different translations but...I kind have been doing other things I guess. sweatdrop But the KJV is the one that you should trust the most. It is the one that was translated the most strongly, faithfully, and truthfully. As for the first part of your post, I've kind of been thinking that a little bit too. Just randomly I'll think about it for about 10 seconds and then I change the subject. But we all individually (here in the guild) think that we are right but we all have different thought on things. We can't all be right because are thoughts and opinions go against each other. I guess all we can really do is trust that the Lord knows and we'll figure it all out when we meet him in Heaven that wonderful faithful day.

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

starry night-163

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm
Question #1 umm maybe this can help or it may not lol because I don't know how to answer it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNseXdd260&feature=relmfu (and yes it's also short, it's 3:53 min long so it's almost only 4min smile )

Question #2 No, I don't think so and I can't really support with the bible because I don't know the bible too well since I havn't studied it all for read it all but I can say this, is it arrogant to tell others that 100x100=10,000 when it's the truth even though they disagree, or let's say that you know the answers to the homework because you had gone over it with the teacher and your friend whom doesn't know you went over it with the teacher starts arguing with you that your answers are wrong, is it arrongant to say prove him worng? or helpful becuase then they could get an A. I know these are cheesy examples and the second example to this question may not even make sense but I tried lol

Question #3 no, it's not God showing himself to others in different ways, it more like Gods judgement on people for rejecting truth and wanting to obey lies, so God gave them liers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWMrKcFKqzk (short but good)

Question #4 this may answer your question on which bible translation is correct and it's not long so it's not gonna seem like hard work to go through it all lol http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/what-bible-translation-does-john-piper-recommend  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:47 pm
starry night-163
Question #1 umm maybe this can help or it may not lol because I don't know how to answer it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNseXdd260&feature=relmfu (and yes it's also short, it's 3:53 min long so it's almost only 4min smile )

That was interesting. I liked how he said some things that I have trouble putting into words.

starry night-163
Question #2 No, I don't think so and I can't really support with the bible because I don't know the bible too well since I havn't studied it all for read it all but I can say this, is it arrogant to tell others that 100x100=10,000 when it's the truth even though they disagree, or let's say that you know the answers to the homework because you had gone over it with the teacher and your friend whom doesn't know you went over it with the teacher starts arguing with you that your answers are wrong, is it arrongant to say prove him worng? or helpful becuase then they could get an A. I know these are cheesy examples and the second example to this question may not even make sense but I tried lol

You made sense but I think it's a false analogy.
Math can be proven true where as God can neither be proved or disproved.
So, I ask again, is it arrogant to say/claim/think/believe that Christianity is right and everyone else is wrong?

starry night-163
Question #3 no, it's not God showing himself to others in different ways, it more like Gods judgement on people for rejecting truth and wanting to obey lies, so God gave them liers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWMrKcFKqzk (short but good)

I really don't like that guy; I can't seem to get past him yelling and screaming. I watched about 80% of that video and he didn't answer my question at all.

starry night-163
Question #4 this may answer your question on which bible translation is correct and it's not long so it's not gonna seem like hard work to go through it all lol http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/what-bible-translation-does-john-piper-recommend
Okay, why? Who gets to decide that? What are they basing it off of? Their own interpretation of each translation? Who are any of us to say that one translation is better than the other?  

WoodSorrelWitch

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 pm
PawzPrint
As Christians, why are we right and everyone else wrong? Bible says Jesus Christ is the truth, way and the light.How are you so certain? Bible is word of God, and if God is a perfect being, the word must be perfect as well.
Is it arrogant to think that Christianity is solely right and everyone else wrong? It would not be arrogant because it is true. It's like saying I'm arrogant for saving oxygen is necessary for life.
Could it be that God is just showing Himself to others in different ways? No. Different religions sprang from mankind's want for spiritual food. There is only one way to God and his name is Jesus Christ.

And why are there so many freakin' translations of the Bible? Which one is right and which one is wrong, if at all? And please don't tell me that they all are basically the same thing. And please don't simply rely on the reason of 'divine intervention'. Why would God need to make different translations? There are so many translations because the Bible is always getting updated. King James is the best for an English speaker because it is not as edited as other versions. Although NKJ is more "modern", you don't get the same sense of thought from it compared to KJV.Other people need a translation so that the Bible is accessible to them. Someone langauges don't have a translation yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 pm
PawzPrint
starry night-163

That was interesting. I liked how he said some things that I have trouble putting into words.

starry night-163

So, I ask again, is it arrogant to say/claim/think/believe that Christianity is right and everyone else is wrong?

starry night-163

I really don't like that guy; I can't seem to get past him yelling and screaming. I watched about 80% of that video and he didn't answer my question at all.

starry night-163
Okay, why? Who gets to decide that? What are they basing it off of? Their own interpretation of each translation? Who are any of us to say that one translation is better than the other?

Quote:

False, God can be proved and he cannot be disproved, the book of Romans makes that very clear, it's not that he can't be proved because he has and on top of that God has made it ovious for us, we just don't want to admit it.

Quote:

I like him because he peaches what most pastors, people and professing Christians don't preach which is TRUTH! and I like that he yells because it shows just how serious and just how much he truly cares for people souls and Jesus, people need to be yelled at some times. The Lord actually used one of his videos to bring me to knowledge of salvation. And the video does answer your question, listen carefully to the first 1:27 seconds. People get fooled because that's what they want, anything but the truth.

Quote:

The dead sea scrolls are the oldest scripture we have which is written in greek and as he said the NASB and the ESV try to translate the dead sea scrolls word for word and if you were to compare and contrast between All the bibles in the world and the dead sea scrolls you would get to know which translation is the closest but some bibles such as the NIV and Reina Valera-1960(spanish bible translation) take out verses from the bible, only the Reina Valera-1960 only takes out and adds in words where the bible talks about Jesus, making Jesus look like a liar and doing more things to him, which is basically attacking him. The King James version is the oldest and trust worthy, yes I agree but it was writen in King James time and some words have shifted in meaning since then, like I think it was the word perseverance or something of the sort which had a different meaning then, then it does now.  

starry night-163

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:48 am
starry night-163

False, God can be proved and he cannot be disproved, the book of Romans makes that very clear, it's not that he can't be proved because he has and on top of that God has made it ovious for us, we just don't want to admit it.

*sigh*Not quite. He cannot be disproved, you are correct, but the fact that something cannot be disproved is not evidence that serves to prove it exists.
Also, quoting the bible only works for people who believe that the bible is true. If they don't believe that, well, you're out of luck.

Quote:

The dead sea scrolls are the oldest scripture we have which is written in greek

can I get another *sigh*
The dead sea scrolls are not the oldest scripture we have. True, they have scripture in them, but that's not all. There also are nonbiblical writings along the order of commentaries on the OT, paraphrases that expand on the Law, rule books of the community, war conduct, thanksgiving psalms, hymnic compositions, benedictions, liturgical texts, and other writings. Also, I don't know where you got greek from, but the Dead Sea Scrolls I know of were written in hebrew/aramaic...

Maybe do a little research next time?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:14 am
In order to be a true Christian you have to realize that you aren't perfect and you never will be. And besides, God is the one thing that you can always depend on. And the Bible has so many different translations because it becomes translated into different languages and then back and it goes from this translation to the next and eventually the translation creates different words here and there. 3nodding  

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 am
A Lonely Leaf
PawzPrint
As Christians, why are we right and everyone else wrong? Bible says Jesus Christ is the truth, way and the light.How are you so certain? Bible is word of God, and if God is a perfect being, the word must be perfect as well.
Is it arrogant to think that Christianity is solely right and everyone else wrong? It would not be arrogant because it is true. It's like saying I'm arrogant for saving oxygen is necessary for life.
Could it be that God is just showing Himself to others in different ways? No. Different religions sprang from mankind's want for spiritual food. There is only one way to God and his name is Jesus Christ.

And why are there so many freakin' translations of the Bible? Which one is right and which one is wrong, if at all? And please don't tell me that they all are basically the same thing. And please don't simply rely on the reason of 'divine intervention'. Why would God need to make different translations? There are so many translations because the Bible is always getting updated. King James is the best for an English speaker because it is not as edited as other versions. Although NKJ is more "modern", you don't get the same sense of thought from it compared to KJV.Other people need a translation so that the Bible is accessible to them. Someone langauges don't have a translation yet.
Ah, my favorite, "the Bible says....." answer. But why do you know Christians are right and everyone else is wrong? I'm not trying to be a jerk with my questions. I want to know if there are reasons that logically make sense why Christians are the only way to God. Yes, I know that the Bible says that Jesus is the only way. Can it be critically thought and reasoned out why Christianity is right and everyone else is wrong?

I find your analogy to be unrelated. Oxygen doesn't tell me anything about Christianity vs. other religions/beliefs.

Hmm, interesting answer about mankind's want for spiritual food.

Can you answer why there are so many English translations then if we already had King James?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:46 am
starry night-163

See Kryamud's post.
He has been proved? Prove God to me then?

starry night-163
I like him because he peaches what most pastors, people and professing Christians don't preach which is TRUTH! and I like that he yells because it shows just how serious and just how much he truly cares for people souls and Jesus, people need to be yelled at some times. The Lord actually used one of his videos to bring me to knowledge of salvation. And the video does answer your question, listen carefully to the first 1:27 seconds. People get fooled because that's what they want, anything but the truth.

"most pastors and most professing Christians". Hmm. How do you know this? Do you go to multiple churches and listen to multitudes of professing Christians? How do you know that most Christians don't talk about the truth?
You can like him all you want. He isn't for me to want to listen to. If Jesus used that guy in your spiritual walk with Him, then right on. God may not use that guy the same way in my life. And it turns out that I don't care to listen to him.
I'm the one with the question and if I feel I don't have a satisfactory answer to it, then guess what? I declare my question unanswered.  

WoodSorrelWitch

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:48 am
callalilly1
In order to be a true Christian you have to realize that you aren't perfect and you never will be. And besides, God is the one thing that you can always depend on. And the Bible has so many different translations because it becomes translated into different languages and then back and it goes from this translation to the next and eventually the translation creates different words here and there. 3nodding

Thank you, this is a good reminder  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:33 am
No prob just glad that I could help! biggrin  

lillybabe789

Friendly Genius

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:28 am
Remember, there is no pure person on the face of the earth. We all have something we must work on. But to answer these questions, simply: God makes things so we can all learn. God knows that we all learn differently and are on different levels. It's having the fruit and knowledge!

Here is a scripture that confirms knowledge.

"...the love of Christ which passes knowledge" (Eph.3:19). See also John 3:16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:31 pm
Cappie v2
Remember, there is no pure person on the face of the earth. We all have something we must work on. But to answer these questions, simply: God makes things so we can all learn. God knows that we all learn differently and are on different levels. It's having the fruit and knowledge!

I understand learning differently means having different methods of teaching us. So.....this leads me back to my question of, why are we (Christians) right and everyone else wrong?  

WoodSorrelWitch

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:48 pm
PawzPrint
Cappie v2

I understand learning differently means having different methods of teaching us. So.....this leads me back to my question of, why are we (Christians) right and everyone else wrong?

The only way I know of to answer that question is to really examine what you think the definition 'right and wrong' comes from. The idea of a moral compass is one that is ubiquitous throughout the world. Everyone has one. Why is that? For me, that comes from humans being a creation of the ultimate authority, that is God, who gave us an innate ability to know whether what we do is right or wrong. This might not be the case, but that is my belief.
Ultimately there is no way to prove, concretely, that one belief system is right and everyone else is wrong. Beliefs cannot be proven or disproven. On the flip side, that's where faith comes in. After all, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." Heb. 11:1  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff