Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
How to raise a child....that's homosexual? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

Ok before I say anything I want to say that I am not a "Being gay is bad!" person. From looking at the Bible it seems it's the homosexual action that's a sin rather than just simply being homosexual. As someone said in another thread (extremely paraphrased ><), "You can't help how you feel. It's not a sin to feel. If you have the feeling of 'love' toward someone of the opposite sex, that is not a sin. Acting ((sex)) upon that love is."

ANYWAY!---------

Main topic: So I was on Xanga for whatever reason, just checking it out I guess to see if anyone still used it.
>< Anyway I found a nice blog post which wasn't exactly about someone raising a homosexual child, but it got me to think to that point. (link) So, as Christians, born again in Jesus Christ knowing what his word says and how it should be woman and man together.....What would you do? How would you react? How would you raise your child if you found out that they were homosexual? I tried thinking about it. I know that I would obviously still very much love the child to death and continue just to teach him or her about Jesus, but I don't know what I would do in that area. I guess just pray to the Lord to do whatever he sees the best thing for the child and just kind of ignore the subject. But then ignoring the subject just doesn't seem right at all. It's just as bad as 'pushing' being straight or 'pushing' Christianity on them. I don't know...What about you guys? - And keep in mind that I say "child" not "teen" although it would go into teen years, but i would think that the approach to this subject would be a bit different in teen years than in child years. Discuss it all. O_O

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 am
Hm....that'a a good question. Well I don't think it's good to ignore it at all...I guess you can just teach them that homosexuality (action wise) is wrong, and that God meant for man to be with woman, not man with man or woman with woman. If you know of passages in the Bible that teach that, use them. And of course you continue to teach them about Jesus and *pray* for them. I think prayer and teaching are the most important. You definitely don't just ignore it.

I guess you could treat it like other things you teach children. If a child thinks it's right to get revenge, teach them otherwise. If a child think it's right to steal, teach them otherwise. If a child think it's right to lie, teach them otherwise. And in the same way, if a child thinks that homosexual actions are ok, teach them otherwise. Just like with revenge, stealing, etc. there is no absolute guarantee that they will make the right choice if you tell them homosexual actions are wrong. When you get to the bottom of it, it's the child's choice. But it's your job to teach them the right thing. So you do it. I mean, we don't say "Oh, well...my child feels like lying...so I'll leave it alone." That would make things worse.

"What if they do homosexual actions?" That's a tough one...but I guess we have to get out of man's view. How would we treat any other sin when we've told our children not to do them? We punish them. "But it's just homosexual actions." Yes, but sin is sin. God looks at sin as sin. He doesn't look at the controversies it starts. Of course, He's omniscient and wouldn't need to look at them anyway. We have to use God's perspective when we look at these things. After all, His foolishness is wiser than man's wisdom (I Corinthians 1:25).

So to sum everything up. "How would I raise a homosexual child?"
- LOVE THEM
- Teach them about Christ
- Pray for them
- Teach them that homosexuality is wrong and that man is made to be with woman, not woman with woman or man with man.
- Treat homosexuality (action wise) as you would any other sin; with punishment.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

rosadria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 am
The essential question that needs to be answered in this topic is this - Do we hold teachings of man above teachings of God?

If we answer yes, then this is what follows. We allow the child to continue in his ways without any intervention. We refuse to teach him about God and show the child His ways in the name of being open minded. We allow the child to die because we lack the courage or conviction to raise our children in the church, and we let them die. The entirety of the scriptures can be reduced to one very simple thing. Will you live, or will you die? To place doctrines of man above doctrines of God, such as "it's bad to 'push' Christianity" or "whatever is right for you.." (because what you want matters) or "pray this prayer with sincerity and you'll be saved" is dangerous and ultimately deadly.

If we hold doctrines of God above those of man, we choose life for ourselves and for our house.

First and always, we pray. Prayer is one of the most important things a Christian can do. In any situation, whether it be "my child is homosexual" or "I don't know if I should take that job in New York.." needs to be accompanied by heavy prayer. On your face in a room with nobody around but you, God, and maybe your spouse if you have one.

Second, teach your child about sin. Don't be afraid to show your child the way to life. The courts would throw you in prison if you were to negligently leave your child in the car and have that child die. Why should the Lord of all creation do any less to you if you let your child die for all eternity?
Do it with loving kindness. As your Father is merciful to you, be merciful to your children. There might come a time when there will be conflict, but you cannot make a horse drink water, and neither can you make a child drink from the fountain that gives life. So pray. Always always always pray.

If I were to find that my child is homosexual, I would raise him the same way I will raise all of my children. In the church, growing up knowing that their father has a Father who is merciful. A Father who is worth giving up all earthly things, even life with another person, be it spouse or a homosexual partner. This Father is worth giving up all earthly pleasures, from the roof over my head to the person I share my bed with. If I have my Father, I will live for all eternity. If I do not have my Father, I will die, and there is a strong chance my family will go down with me. When the head of the household is faithful, there's good chances for the children. When he is not, things get ugly.
I want my sons and daughters to see through me a Father so wonderful that giving up something like homosexuality or whatever other sin they might have won't even be a question. I want them to do it because in reality, there cannot be any other way.

It's as simple as that. Will you live, or will you die? Choose this day whom you will serve.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 am
Wow...I couldn't have said it any better than VK.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Phos Omorhpia

Conservative Genius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 am
On_Fire_4_CHRIST

- Teach them that homosexuality is wrong and that man is made to be with woman, not woman with woman or man with man.
- Treat homosexuality (action wise) as you would any other sin; with punishment.

Hi, Sorry to intrude but even if someone loves someone the same gender God still loves them just as much as you or me. Homosexuality is now a way of life. Just because God didn't intend for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman doesn't mean it's wrong. Love is Love. And God knows that and he loves everyone one of us even if we sin. They don't have to be punished. Even if my baby was homosexual I'd be fine with that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 pm
Phos Omorhpia
On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Hi, Sorry to intrude but even if someone loves someone the same gender God still loves them just as much as you or me. Homosexuality is now a way of life. Just because God didn't intend for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman doesn't mean it's wrong. Love is Love. And God knows that and he loves everyone one of us even if we sin. They don't have to be punished. Even if my baby was homosexual I'd be fine with that.

FINALLY someone who understands  

kitty of the dark

Distinct Shapeshifter

rosadria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:16 pm
Phos Omorhpia
On_Fire_4_CHRIST

The problem with your logic is that you assume God doesn't love the people He puts in Hell.

Sure, homosexuality is a way of life. It's always been around, and it shall be around until Christ comes back for His own. Yes, it's more accepted now. But what makes you think that the desires of man and our social structure dictates what's acceptable in God's eyes?
When almost the entirety of Israel was worshiping Ba'al, should the Father have said "Well, they're all doing it and it is socially acceptable, so I'm going to let this slide because I love them?" Whether you think He should have or not doesn't matter, because He didn't. He punished them severely, just as He will one day punish the wicked of our generation for their sins.

So yes, people can have their homosexuality and live their lives as they well please. Perhaps the Father will even let them carry out their lives as they wish from birth to death.
But I do know this. While they willing live in sin, they will not be fulfilled. You cannot have true harmony with the Father while you spit in the face of the Son.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:28 pm
@ VK Fox: No, my good sir, the issue is in your logic.
God MAKES people just the way they are and with our God being the holy man he is make someone homosexual only to send them to eternal damnation when he loves them enough to send his son to die for us? I think not.

Bioluminescent Sharpies

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:21 pm
VK Fox
The essential question that needs to be answered in this topic is this - Do we hold teachings of man above teachings of God?

If we answer yes, then this is what follows. We allow the child to continue in his ways without any intervention. We refuse to teach him about God and show the child His ways in the name of being open minded. We allow the child to die because we lack the courage or conviction to raise our children in the church, and we let them die. The entirety of the scriptures can be reduced to one very simple thing. Will you live, or will you die? To place doctrines of man above doctrines of God, such as "it's bad to 'push' Christianity" or "whatever is right for you.." (because what you want matters) or "pray this prayer with sincerity and you'll be saved" is dangerous and ultimately deadly.

If we hold doctrines of God above those of man, we choose life for ourselves and for our house.

First and always, we pray. Prayer is one of the most important things a Christian can do. In any situation, whether it be "my child is homosexual" or "I don't know if I should take that job in New York.." needs to be accompanied by heavy prayer. On your face in a room with nobody around but you, God, and maybe your spouse if you have one.

Second, teach your child about sin. Don't be afraid to show your child the way to life. The courts would throw you in prison if you were to negligently leave your child in the car and have that child die. Why should the Lord of all creation do any less to you if you let your child die for all eternity?
Do it with loving kindness. As your Father is merciful to you, be merciful to your children. There might come a time when there will be conflict, but you cannot make a horse drink water, and neither can you make a child drink from the fountain that gives life. So pray. Always always always pray.

If I were to find that my child is homosexual, I would raise him the same way I will raise all of my children. In the church, growing up knowing that their father has a Father who is merciful. A Father who is worth giving up all earthly things, even life with another person, be it spouse or a homosexual partner. This Father is worth giving up all earthly pleasures, from the roof over my head to the person I share my bed with. If I have my Father, I will live for all eternity. If I do not have my Father, I will die, and there is a strong chance my family will go down with me. When the head of the household is faithful, there's good chances for the children. When he is not, things get ugly.
I want my sons and daughters to see through me a Father so wonderful that giving up something like homosexuality or whatever other sin they might have won't even be a question. I want them to do it because in reality, there cannot be any other way.

It's as simple as that. Will you live, or will you die? Choose this day whom you will serve.

I agree!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm
Bioluminescent Sharpies
God MAKES people just the way they are and with our God being the holy man he is make someone homosexual only to send them to eternal damnation when he loves them enough to send his son to die for us? I think not.

It's long been my opinion that God doesn't create people hetero or homosexual. He just created them and lets them choose their sexual orientation just like He lets man choose every other thing in life.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Bioluminescent Sharpies

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:22 pm
Shadows-shine
Bioluminescent Sharpies

It's long been my opinion that God doesn't create people hetero or homosexual. He just created them and lets them choose their sexual orientation just like He lets man choose every other thing in life.

That is false. If you've ever read or heard anything about homosexuality, either from the mouth of someone who is homosexual or a television show like Oprah it will say that being gay is not a choice. What you're saying could be possible, but when it come to being gay that choice would have to be made when the person in question is about three weeks old, well before the child as a full understanding of anything. And I'll admit it. I'm young and still have much to learn, but homosexuality is something that I am sure is a choice God makes for us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:10 pm
kitty of the dark
Phos Omorhpia
On_Fire_4_CHRIST

FINALLY someone who understands

Sorry but you're wrong there. Yes, God loves everyone. That's why He died for everyone. But guess what? The people He loves that don't accept Christ go to Hell don't they? So you can't use the basis that God loves everyone, because the fact that God loves everyone does not mean He does not judge justly. Secondly, read the Bible and you will find that homosexuality is a sin...well...homosexual actions. An example:

Romans 1:26-27

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relation for unnatrual rones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Keep in mind that that was from the New Testament, so you cannot use an argument saying that doesn't count anymore. Homosexual ations are wrong, period. Not to be mean but who cares about what people think? What God says in His Word is what matters and His Word says that homosexual actions are sin and teaches us that man was to be with woman. And who can dare to change what God has confirmed? I would not let my child just sin all the time, I would show them what's wrong. Saying "let homosexuality be a lifestyle" is like saying "Let's go ahead and let murdering be a lifestyle" because murdering is a sin just like homosexual actions.

Yes, John 3:16

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

HOWEVER Luke 13:3

I tell you no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

God loves you, but that doesn't mean doing homosexual actions is ok. If you're the type of person who says "God loves me so I'll do what I want," how can you look at the God of the universe, your Savior, and decide to disobey Him for your own sinful desires?!? If you don't understand that homosexual actions are sinful and that children should be taught that homosexuality is wrong, then I already have given good reason to show what is true. I used a verse in Romans and there are other ones too.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 pm
Bioluminescent Sharpies
Shadows-shine
Bioluminescent Sharpies

That is false. If you've ever read or heard anything about homosexuality, either from the mouth of someone who is homosexual or a television show like Oprah it will say that being gay is not a choice. What you're saying could be possible, but when it come to being gay that choice would have to be made when the person in question is about three weeks old, well before the child as a full understanding of anything. And I'll admit it. I'm young and still have much to learn, but homosexuality is something that I am sure is a choice God makes for us.

Error in your argument. First off, saying God makes the chocie of homosexuality for people is completley wrong. If it is shown in the Old and New Testament that God dislikes homosexuality, He would not, and cannot make anyone a homosexual. That would make Him contradictory and imperfect. And since we know God is not contradictory and that He is perfect, He cannot make peopel homosexual.

Genesis 2:18

The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be a lone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

And we know that God made Eve. Notice that He didn't make man for man or woman for woman, but woman for man.

Genesis 2:24

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Once again, man and woman, not man and man nor woman for woman.

Romans 1:26-27

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Homosexuality is a choice, and not something God decides. And God does not and never did make man sinful. Man is sinful because of his previous mistakes.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:39 pm
Bioluminescent Sharpies

Actually, the logic that has the biggest issue is yours. God does not make people homosexual. As you saw in one of my other comments, God originally made woman to be with man. And who is anyone to dare to even think about changing that which God has set up? If God made man to be with woman, who can say man can be with man and woman with woman? No one! Because it contradicts that which God has set up. Secondly, you are taking love into sinful man's standards. Man looks at love as "Oh I'll always be kind to you and never punish you." God looks at love as "I love you, I'll die for you, but I am still just. Would a good judge let someone go free for doing something wrong? No. That would be a corrupt judge. God, who is a good and just judge, will punish those who have sinned. So if someone commits homosexual actions, they receive their "due penalty. (I've already shown Romans 1:26-27 enough on this thread.)"

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Notice that it says "the world." Not "Those would get saved;" not "This particular person and that particular person;" but the world! This means He loves everyone! He loved you and me before we were saved, and He loves those He has tossed into Hell. No one said He didn't love them. However, He is just and gave them the answer. The issue isn't God, the issue is man rejecting the gift. God sent His Son to die for us so that we would have eternal life. This does not mean that He is ok with us sinning. Why would He send His Son to get rid of sin (Isaiah 53:5; Psalm 103:12) if He didn't care that people sinned? God is the same God He was before. And we definitely know He wasn't ok with people sinning in the past, so there is no reason to think He is ok with us sinning now. There is a lot of instruction in the Bible, God's Holy Word. And God did not just make it just for people to have a fun time reading. He gave it to man so that they could learn how to live and that their life is not their own, but God's. We cannot look at things from man's perspective, but God's. After all, the foolishness of God is greater than man's wisdom (I Corinthians 1:25). So we have to look at things from God's persepcitve. "His Word says that this is wrong, so God believes it is wrong."  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 pm
Bioluminescent Sharpies
Shadows-shine
Bioluminescent Sharpies

The Lord does not make our choices for us. That contradicts the "free will" situation that we have. Now I do admit that I get a little confused on the "they're born that way" when the person is question in 6 yrs old. But I read a book a while ago that put out some good solutions to this problem. (I'll rent it back out again, as soon as possible...and when I remember >< ) But whether people are born that way or not, I don't know. What I do know is God doesn't make people gay. I like fire 4 Christ's and VK's answers.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff