Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Old vs New

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:30 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this.

Anyway I am talking about how people say that the old covenate (sp?) died when Jesus rose again. I was talking to my Aunt, and i was asking her about how people said that piercings were ok but in Leviticus it says basically to not do harm to your body. In Matthew 5:17 it says...
"Do not think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."

So she was telling me that just because it is in the old testament doesn't make any difference, we should try to follow those rules too.
Granted it is hard, but still.

Yeah, I think i am going to take out all of my piercings now.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 am
Well, I'm not sure, but I would think that if it was against God's rules, our consciounce would tell us? After all, that's what it's there for. To tell us right from wrong. The only time it doesn't work is when we've trained ourselves to ignore it. And even still, if we take time to listen, we will know of what we're doing is wrong.  

Katie Wildheart

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 am
It would be incredibly silly for Jesus to say that He *was* around to overturn the Prophets. After all, Prophets tell others what God tells them to...

Regardless, I believe the "Old Covenant" was God's previous agreement with the Jewish people, in the vein of "Do these sacrifices" and so on. The "New Covenant" is more along the lines of "Ask, and I will forgive you". A Covenant for all of mankind.

You also have to take into account what the Bible really means. Offhand, I can think of several interpretations for that line: "Don't kill yourself. Don't deliberately injure yourself (to get the pity of others). Do not live an unhealthy lifestyle." It could be any of those. Or none of them. Or all of them and then some. What do you believe is the right course of action? Ask for guidance, and I think you'll receive it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 am
If you think you must follow the Levitical laws, why are you still eating Pork, Shellfish, wearing mixed polyester threads, why are you shaving, why are not sacrificing animals, have you stoned any children to death recently?

What about when your Sister or Mother is on her period, have you sent her out of the house and cleaned everything she has touched?

All these thing's and more are required under the Old Covenant, when something is fufilled , it's purpose is made real, , Christ did not do away with the Law because that would presume it was useless , however he completed it, he brought everything that the Law aimed to create (that being a relationship with God) and "Fulfilled/Completed that purpose" in himself, when he washed away our Sins and created the Second Covenant

Quote:
Romans 10:4
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Quote:
Hebrews 7
18The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 3:6
6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Quote:
Hebrews 9:15
15 For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Quote:
Hebrews 8:13
13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear

Quote:
Galatians 5:1-5
1 Stand a fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is 2a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
notice the bolded, where it plainly states that attempting to adhere to the law will push you "further from Christ" also remember that Circumcision was the sign of how someone would enter the covenant of the Law, a sign of there participation.

You are under no Obligation to keep the law, you can put your earrings back in now.

There are at least another six or seven verses that I can bring to further show this point.  

Haha Coffee

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Father Abel Nightroad O2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 am
I always found this subject critically interesting, for many reasons of course, the new testament doesn't recap over everything the old testament said, this of course bothered me, many people have read me scriptures saying that all the rules should be ignored, however taking one scripture out of text, that can be made to mean anything you want it to.

Its hard for me to imagine that someone can go and disobey God, knowing its wrong, then ask for forgives and there will be no consequences.

I cant be 100% sure on what advice to give you, however I personally believe if its not specifically mentioned in the new testament then the old should still stand.

God didn't have the old testament written for kicks and giggles, there are lessons and rules that should be learned and observed.

If Jesus were standing in front of you would you be wearing you earrings?  
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games