Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Gaia's Christian Network News
Debate: boy scouts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iDorkosaurous_Rex

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:29 pm
Okay, so once upon a time (I can't give a actual date) I heard of this Boy Scouts troop where a openly gay parent wanted to be a volunteer in the troop. The man said he was openly gay, and asked if it was okay. The troop leader said it was okay, but he'd have to check with H.Q. first.

So they allowed him to volunteer, but the next thing you know they change their mind and say no, because I guess there is a rule for Boy Scouts about gay volunteers.

So my question is do you think that is right? Should it matter if he's gay? If it was your children would you be okay with it? If you were in the troop would you be okay with it?
Also with Boy Scouts you can't have one parent alone with the troop at any time. They also don't allow atheists and agnostics.

Edit: Well here is the article from CNN if you'd like to read it. Boy Scouts  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

Well if you look at it's origin, you see it is supposed to be a very Christian organization with a Christian foundation. Created back in 1909-1910, it was founded when that stuff was extremely looked down upon. This is a very traditional organization, holding strong to those same traditions. It never comes to thought that they should suddenly change those values just because it is no longer 1910 but is now 2011.

-Personal opinion.- If the dad wants to participate with his kid in Boy Scouts by helping volunteer than he should be allowed despite him being gay. It's not like he's going to be talking about it around the kids, or trying to force them into being gay themselves.

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

rosadria

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:29 am
It's a private organization. Right or wrong, they can make rules that allow whomever they want in their group. If people want a group without gay people in it, they can have it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 am
iDorkosaurous_Rex
Okay, so once upon a time (I can't give a actual date) I heard of this Boy Scouts troop where a openly gay parent wanted to be a volunteer in the troop. The man said he was openly gay, and asked if it was okay. The troop leader said it was okay, but he'd have to check with H.Q. first.

So they allowed him to volunteer, but the next thing you know they change their mind and say no, because I guess there is a rule for Boy Scouts about gay volunteers.

So my question is do you think that is right? Should it matter if he's gay? If it was your children would you be okay with it? If you were in the troop would you be okay with it?
Also with Boy Scouts you can't have one parent alone with the troop at any time. They also don't allow atheists and agnostics.

Edit: Well here is the article from CNN if you'd like to read it. Boy Scouts

I hadn't realized I had posted twice on the same topic (I deleted my newest response and editing this one because I was mostly ranting and I've changed some of my view points since). >_< Anyway, if I had a kid in boy scouts, I would feel incredibly uncomfortable if there was a gay volunteer that was male working with my child. I just wouldn't be able to ease my mind, or would go to the troop meeting if it had been allowed.

Although, boy scouts is their own private organization and whatever their rules are - it can go. If they so no to one thing then that's their right as a private organization. There are other organizations out there to be involved with as well.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 pm
My boyfriend and I have had this discussion before and this is what we have come up with personally.

We do not have a problem with homosexuality and believe that everyone deserves happiness.
However we would not want our children to be influenced with homosexuality at such a young age and would take our child out of that troop.
Not out of hatred or disgust we would do it because we would not be comfortable with introducing such a young child into such an vast array of questions, questions he would not be ready to deal with let alone fully understand.

I am not saying that the den father would shove his sexuality into our son`s faces.
But I am sure there would be quite the discussion at H.Q that would trickle down to the volunteers, to the parents and down to the children.
That is drama we would not be willing to put upon our child.

We are not saying that sexuality does not come up in other places but we will deal with that as it comes along.
It does not mean we have to subject our child to that sort of life during his "fun time" when he shouldn`t have to be thinking about sexuality in the first place, especially at a Boy Scout group.

I think the best course of action is to talk with the parents, see if they are comfortable with an open homosexual in their boy scout troop and if H.Q is alright with it and the parents are alright with it then he should be allowed to stay.
If there are some parents who are not okay with it nor is H.Q. then do not let him volunteer.
There are many other groups who will accept that person.
And since it is H.Q.`s decision and right to say "yes" or "no" then I see nothing wrong with it.
It is their choice and we should respect their right to choose. 3nodding

That is how I feel about this whole thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm
Jesus wouldn't turn someone away for being gay.

He didn't turn away dealing with prostitutes, lepers, corrupt bankers, tax collectors, the handicapped, demon-possessed, Greeks, Jews, soldiers, politicians, basically anyone.

He really wasn't too keen on the Pharisees, though. But a lot of that was because they were making showy prayers in the streets and leading the entire Jewish people into ruin with their doctrine.

But yeah, I just go back to the question of "what would Jesus do"? in this situation.  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:11 pm
I had no idea scouts were Christian. Anyway, I have no issue with a homosexual wanting to volunteer in it. How would the children even know the person is gay? Unless sexual orientation is discussed in the scouts, then I don't understand how someone would know. It's like, what if a homosexual parent/guardian wanted to volunteer in his/her child's school? Isn't it the same thing more or less?

Therefore, I don't have problem with it. Nonetheless, the scouts have the right to do what they want. It's their organization. It can be an intrusion of secular with Christianity, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss further.  
Gaia's Christian Network News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games