Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply King's Cross Station & Magical Platforms
Platform 9¾ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 182 183 184 185

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:26 am
User ImageUser Image
xx Wʜᴇʀᴇ Aᴍ I? Platform 9¾
xxx Wʜᴏ Is Wɪᴛʜ Mᴇ? Mama, Dec, Fiadh, and Zoot
xxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Gᴏɪɴɢ Oɴ? Heading to School!
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? I can't wait!!

Seb grinned brightly, nodding when Fiadh hoped he'd get off the bench too. Green eyes glanced over to the blond beside him, noting the slight sadness on his friend's face. Well dang. "You'd make an ace Chaser, Fia. But for Seeker... I hope it's not down to just focus. 'Cause the only time I seem to be able to do that is when I'm in the air. Otherwise, my thoughts are zoomin' all over!" He laughed happily, before throwing an arm over Dec's shoulders and pulling him back into the conversation.

"But I'm also real excited for clubs too. Mama got me my own camera, so I won't have to borrow one all the time. Plus the guys at cooking club feed me if I take pictures, which is a good deal, I think." The pink-haired boy laughed again, remembering all the pasta he'd had at the last club opening. Though he wondered what the big meal would be this time. Maybe he could even try to cook something for it! He ran a hand through his messy hair, green eyes twinkling under the lights of the platform.

{{Wearing :: Space, baby!}}
          AliceInWonderland0921

murruelecreuset

✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮
          Wᴏᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ sɪᴅᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇᴅ ~ Wʜᴀᴛ's ᴜᴘ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪs Pʀɪɴᴄᴇ sᴏɴɢ ɪɴsɪᴅᴇ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀᴅ?
          Hᴀɴᴅs ᴜᴘ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏɴɪɢʜᴛ ~ 'Cᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ's ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇ
          Sʟᴇᴘᴛ ɪɴ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ ᴄʟᴏᴛʜᴇs ʟɪᴋᴇ I ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴀʀᴇ, ʜᴏᴘᴘᴇᴅ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴄᴀʙ, ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴʏᴡʜᴇʀᴇ
          I'ᴍ ɪɴ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏɴɪɢʜᴛ ~ 'Cᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ's ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇ
          Fʀᴇᴀᴋᴇᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ, ᴅʀᴏᴘᴘᴇᴅ ᴍʏ ᴘʜᴏɴᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏᴏʟ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ ~ Cʜᴇᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ʀᴏᴏᴍ, ʜɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ATM
          Lᴇᴛ's ʜᴀɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛᴏɴɪɢʜᴛ ~ 'Cᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ's ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇ
          Gᴏᴏᴅ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɴɪɢʜᴛ ~ I ᴡᴀᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ ~ Iᴛ's ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʙᴇ ᴀʟʀɪɢʜᴛ
          Wᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʀʏ! Iᴛ's ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛɪᴍᴇ!
          ✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮✩✮

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 am
User Image
Finneas MacDavis- Grey
Unsorted │ First Year │ Eleven Years Old │ Single

Today was the day, the day he’d been waiting for much of his life to arrive; today was the day Finn MacDavis-Grey was coming to Hogwarts. To be sure, he’d heard of the school since he was a tiny tot, and there were times he wondered if maybe this place was like Narnia or Middle Earth, nothing more than legend, and now he was to have the chance to see for himself if this school was all that the stories his parents and cousins made it out to be. He was also keenly aware that he’d nearly not made it to this day, as less than a year ago, Finn nearly died.

It had been an afternoon, after school, after playing a quick match with his mates, when he was heading home, when it all happened. He’d offered to walk with another friend, a girl named Miriam, whom lived not so far from him, and usually sat a couple pews down from him and his family in church, and as they were heading for home, they were cornered by a gang of older boys. He’d never seen their like before, certainly not in the nice areas of Waterford, and they were laughing and sniggering at the two of them. The way they spoke, Finn was certain they planned to beat the heck out of him, and do unspeakable things to Miriam, before robbing them of what they had.

When a couple of them pulled out knives, it seemed as though time slowed down for Finn. Just as he’d made the determination that he wouldn’t let them get to Miriam without him having a say in it, and figured he was halfway to explaining to St. Peter why he was showing up a bit early for his appointment, an unexpected ally showed up. He never got a good look at what it was, as he didn’t get a straight-on look at the thing, but he knew it was a huge black hound with long shaggy fur, huge fangs and it made a growling which made those boys turn pale.

One of the boys with the knife made a threatening move towards the hound, and that was when it launched itself like a great furry thunderbolt. Finn didn’t see any more than that, as he grabbed Miriam’s hand, and they ran as though the Devil himself were at their heels. They didn’t stop running until they got to Miriam’s house. After that, things got even stranger, as Ministry folk in long black coats started showing up to investigate. They got stranger still, when one of those investigators looked him in the eyes, and intoned, “I will have your secrets!”

Dad told him how brave he was, Mom cried over him, his little sister, Freya, didn’t understand what all the fuss was about. Of the dog, the investigations found no trace, not even a stray paw print to suggest it was ever there, and of the boys nothing was said. So far as Miriam and her family knew, while something happened at the park that day, neither she nor Finn were anywhere close enough to see anything. Grammy Grey told him what happened was the dog was actually the manifestation of an ancestor, Wolfric Grey, an animagus who took the form of a creature very much like what he saw, who’d died saving members of the family during the Irish War of Independence. Finn quickly learned he was a fledgling wizard, that he would need to be homeschooled until it was his turn to attend Hogwarts, and couldn’t even go play football with his mates. The last bit was a crushing blow to Finn.

Finn was a star player on the school’s intermural football team, and he’d had dreams of one day playing for a World Cup, and now he was barred for life owing to the chance something inexplicable might happen during a match, knowingly or not of his own doing. But it wasn’t all bad, as he could now focus on playing Quidditch as Mum and Aunt Hannah had for the Irish for many years, just as taking lessons at home meant he could spend more time learning guitar and violin with the Hares.

The night before today, he and Dad made sure everything he needed was packed in his trunk and ready to go, as the plan was for the four of them to travel with Aunt Hannah and Uncle Conall, along with Cousin Linsey and Cousin Ella, to the big train station in London. It was going to be a bit weird going to school with his sometimes babysitter and his newly adopted cousin, and it didn’t seem fair he not only couldn’t have his own broomstick, but he couldn’t have his own big doggo like the mighty Blannat with him. There was a big dinner party last night, and it was all he could do to get any sort of sleep afterwards.

All of a sudden, Hogwarts was less of a collective story told by his elders, as he was standing by the big red steam train and its brightly painted carriages. Freya didn’t want to be left behind, not when Linsey and Ella were going back to school, and taking her big brother with them. The little tyke threw herself onto him and wrapped her arms around his legs until he picked her up so she could give him a proper hug. “Don’ go, big buwver, don’ leave me too,” she sobbed, as she snuggled up to him.

I’ll see you at Christmas, Freya, I promise,” he said to her, as realization hit that he wouldn’t see her again until winter break. The small girl said with a snuffle in a small voice, “Okay, I wuv you, big buwver,” as she slid something into his hand. Without looking at it, he slipped it into his pocket. Next thing he knew, his flame-tressed Mom was giving him an appraising look. “Not sure I’m so ready to give you up to that school yet,” she said to him with a sigh.

Finn suggested, “Well, I suppose we do Hogwarts online, and I can stay and play with the Hares. You guys can always use an extra session guitar player.” Fianna chuckled, and said, “Yeah, doesn’t work like that, I’m afraid. ‘Sides, you need to learn how to do your magic. There’s the makings of a great wizard in you, I know it. Remember to do all your assignments, do what your teachers tell you to, and listen to your cousin. Please, don’t put anything on her shoulders you can do for yourself just as well; I find out Linsey’s in hospital because of you, we’ll have words, I promise. You three need to care for each other, that school’s a nut hatch as it is, an’ each other may be all you’ve got to rely on.”

Fianna sighed, and she collected Freya from Finn. “Here, I’ll get her from you. Pretty sure the school supplies list didn’t mention you bringing your five year old sister along for the trip.” Finn chuckled softly, and he said, “I’ll listen to Linsey, and I’ll follow instructions, Mom. You don’t need to worry about me. Don’t suppose you can post a broomstick for tryouts, can you? It’s that, or I’ll borrow Linsey’s, right?” Fianna sighed, and answered, “Not on your nelly, young man. ‘Sides, tried that one with your aunt when I was your age, an’ turned me doon flat, she did. Dun’ worry, school’s got new broomsticks, so ye won be stuck with some antique like I was. Now, off with ye, wouldn’t do fer ye te be late. Safe journey, an’ see ye soon.”

Mother and son hugged once more, and she kissed him gently on the forehead. Lochlainn reached in, hugged his son and shook his hand. “See you soon, Mo Mhisneach,” he said to Finn. “I’m sure your mother told you the important stuff, she’s good about all that, but don’t forget to take the time to look around, never know where you might find inspiration, be sure to have fun, and steer clear of trouble and all the nonsense.” Finn answered, “All right, Dad. Now, what about Christmas?” He’d heard some bit of the conversation taking place not far from him, and the idea of going to parts unknown concerned him. Lochlainn sighed, and said, “There’s two sets of functioning parents here; between the lot of us we’ll have it sorted by then. Now, it’s time for you go off, make friends and start your own adventure.”

With that, Finn started looking around. The journey had begun….

OOC: Open for Interaction
Username

User ImageFloating free as a bird
Sixty foot leaps it's so absurd
From up here you should see the view
Such a lot of space for me and you

Oh you'd like it
Gliding around get your feet off the ground
Oh you'd like it
Do as you please with so much ease

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:59 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx Wʜᴇʀᴇ Aᴍ I? Platform 9¾
xxx Wʜᴏ Is Wɪᴛʜ Mᴇ? Mother Hannah, Father Conall, Linsey, the other Greys
xxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Gᴏɪɴɢ Oɴ? Saying Goodbye?
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? Why does it sound weird...

As the family arrived on the platform, Ella couldn't help but remember all the terrible, scary things that had happened here. Even on the very first day in the British Magical Scene, with a floo from Romania she was alone. She could barely pull the weight of her own trunk, since no one at her former home would cast the spells to make it easier. Luckily she'd packed most of her belongings, anything she hadn't wanted to risk getting destroyed. The only things left behind had been too big to squish into her trunk. That day had been so awful. She'd thought she was going to miss the train and have to go home, probably to be beaten... or worse. But thanks to an older kid taking pity on her, she'd managed to slip aboard.

Then there had been the past winter, where she'd found herself abandoned... yet not alone. Had Linsey not been there, everything would've been different. She probably would never have gotten seen, probably would've gone back to Romania to try and survive the winter chill all alone in a freezing nightmare. But instead, she was brought to safety in the Grey home. Sure, it was chaotic and filled with way too many people, but none of them seemed to mind giving her space when she got too overwhelmed. And then this summer... finding out they wanted to adopt her and truly keep her safe...

A small shiver ran through the tiny girl, before she stepped a little closer to Linsey. They'd gone through everything together, but it was always together. From the day Linsey had bravely volunteered to help Ella with her hair, which the brunette had pleaded not to cut short, to them going to a spa with Mother Hannah. It had been a weird experience that quickly overwhelmed little Ella, but in the end, she had to admit it had been a fun day... even if her head hurt for days. The only times she'd been without her new sister was when she went to honor a friend or when she'd gone to work... and even then, she (and her bosses, probably), let Ella join a few days. While Ella hadn't ever delved into fashion, she had to admit the fluffy dresses seemed more magical than anything she'd ever imagined. Things she'd only seen when the Antonovs held a big party and she was forbidden from entry... But they didn't know she was small enough to slip through the air vents and sit up in the drafty rafters of their home, watching with a longing to be down with the fancy folk whirling and eating fancy, yet tiny, foods.

Even in the scary events, one of her new family was always there beside her. They'd taken her to the doctor for the first time since she was only a baby, which didn't work out super well. From having to get caught up on some "essential" vaccinations to finding out her height made her seem more like an eight-year-old and her weight was way too low even for that. The doctor was very kind, thankfully, and had given her some vitamins to try and supplement what little food she was able to eat. He even seemed understanding when she said she never felt hungry, and he promised that'd eventually change once she had some more confidence that she'd never go hungry again.

The only day Ella thought she might not work well with the family was when they went to a music and arts festival. There had been so many people milling about, so many people accidentally bumping into her. Just as she started to get too overwhelmed, there were the Greys with a set of headphones that muffled all the sounds around her. And then they'd gone to watch some band that Linsey was pretty sure the Greys knew... somehow. Their family tree was quite confusing. The only time the headphones came off was when Linsey got up to sing, when Ella's attachment switched over to Mother Hannah's hand instead. But Linsey had a lovely voice and Ella was quite enamored with the sound.

Even in the quiet days, while Linsey was busy with the million things on her plate, Ella often found herself hidden somewhere with her sketchbook and a pencil, drawing away her surroundings. She knew she'd never be able to handle her sister's busy life, but those moments of quiet made the summer far more bearable. All these lovely things brought the family back here. Linsey accepted Ella's hand as the younger girl glanced over at her sister. The brunette blew upward to try and shuffle her fringe from her eyes, but the action of the younger Freya (who was very nearly Ella's height already) throwing herself at Ella just shuffled the messy brown hair back down. Thankfully the redhead moved on, first to Linsey, then to her brother.

Mother Hannah told Linsey she wasn't in any position to keep Ella and Finn safe (though just being near Ella was good for her!), and to keep herself sane too. It was then Ella was called directly, told to take care of not only herself, but Linsey as well. She nodded, though hesitantly. "I-I know. I have them i-in my bag. A-and I'll try..." Honey brown eyes looked over at her new parents, still worried that she'd screw up and they'd lock her out too. It was then that Mother Hannah stepped over, brushing Ella's messy hair from her eyes. The girl looked up for a moment, before her gaze fell, a tinge of pink brushing her pale cheeks at the compliment. She was even called Ella Bheag, which was similar to Linsey's nickname (though admittedly the younger still had no clue what it meant).

It wasn't until the indigo-haired woman said that they loved her and were proud of her that Ella felt a few tears in her eyes. On instinct, a small hand pulled her hair back down to shield herself a bit. She was told that she no longer had to hide, but Ella knew she'd never quite feel the same. There had been too much pain to try and be open. She was even promised one of the adults would meet up with them over winter break to avoid the train. Though apparently with Aunt Selina, there were odds to end up somewhere random to do some shopping. That alone sounded frightening, and the young girl hoped one of the other grown ups would meet them... for now.

Ella squeaked softly when Mother Hannah pulled her in for a hug, but the brunette gently pat the woman's back, which was more of a hug than she'd given most. It was still a weird notion and probably always would be. A kiss was placed on her forehead before her hair was again swept out of the way... so she had seen Ella try to hide again, right? While Mother Hannah was hugging Linsey, Father Conall stepped over, saying to be careful with their trunks. Thankfully, the next time she'd have to worry about it, it'd already be in her room. Within seconds came another hug, this one making her push up to her tiptoes, and another kiss on her head. "I-I know. I... I'll see you guys then too." she said, softly as ever. She sent over a tiny grin when they told Linsey to do a good job on the pitch, and her sister said she'd hoist the cup high.

After a small hesitation, Ella figured she'd try some new words. Words she'd heard only from this family, but had never really understood. Squeezing Linsey's hand a bit for strength, Ella spoke, trying to make her small voice just a little bit louder to be heard over the bustle of the platform. "G-goodbye... um... I-I love you?" The words sounded a little awkward and unsure, but Ella had no idea how to make it more natural. Maybe someday...

{{Wearing :: Cute Monochrome Outfit}}
          Graydon Ironshield

Aɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ɢʀᴏᴡɴ ᴜᴘ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪs ɴᴏᴛɪᴏɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴀᴍᴇ
          Aɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ sᴇᴇᴍ sᴏ sᴛʀᴏɴɢ sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs, ʙᴜᴛ I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ sᴛɪʟʟ ғᴇᴇʟ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ
          As ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ɢɪʀʟ ᴡʜᴏ sʜɪɴᴇᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ʜɪs ʟᴀᴢʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴘᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ʜᴇʟʟ
          I ᴡɪsʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ, sᴛɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ɪᴍᴘʀᴇss ʜɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴ
          Oʜ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴀᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴ ʜᴇ ᴄʀᴜsʜᴇᴅ ᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs?
          Oʜ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ɪɴsɪᴅᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅʏɪɴɢ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴᴛ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ
          Hᴇ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴏ ᴄᴏʟᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʜɪs ᴅᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ
          Bᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴠᴇɪɴs ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ʜɪs ɴᴀᴍᴇ ᴛᴜʀɴs ᴛʜɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ
          Yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ ᴀɴᴅ I ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ's ɴᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ. Iᴛ ᴡᴀs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:28 pm
User Image
Fiadh Reilly O'Shea
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hufflepuff Second Year
Half Blood Twelve Year Old

User Image
                                                  Company : Parents... Dec & Seb

“I can hope. And hay, what happens in the air stays in the air.” Fia laughed. Hopefully Declan would cheer them on if they made their respective team. Just like they both did last year for Seb last year. She smiled as Seb wrapped his arm around Dec. Whatever Declan was thinking about, he was sure to be pulled out of it. Clubs were up anyone’s ally.

Fiadh had been apart of the astronomy club all year and hadn’t joined anything else. Truth be told she didn’t know what else to join. The possibilities were endless. Fia had no idea that Seb was taking photos for the cooking club. “Oh! Speaking of clubs, I’m opening to suggestions so long as it isn’t herbology club.” Fiadh commented. “I’ll be joining the astronomy club again this year, you going to be coming too Declan?” She asked hoping to have a friend in the club again this year. She’d managed clubs somehow, though with astronomy club plus Quidditch she wasn’t sure how much a struggle it would be. Best not to worry until later.

OOC : - - -

AliceInWonderland0921
                                                  Cinnabun Gryffie

A kind heart you have there
                                                  One that's good for making friends of all kinds
                                                  Everyone will be safe with you!
                                                  You'll find a home for your heart in...
                                                  Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 pm
User Image
Brianna Cathaline Quinn-Smith
SlytherinSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingleSlytherin PrefectDueling Club CaptainQuidditch Captain

It had not been the best of summers, and Brianna was hoping this wasn’t a harbinger of how her term at Hogwarts would go as well. Things started off promisingly enough when she got the results back from her OWLs, and she was definitely pleased with her Outstanding Wizard Law score, that she barely managed to scrape together an Exceeds Expectations for her Herbology, and her Healing Arts score surprised her as she thought for certain she’d barely get an Acceptable out of it after her examiner’s critique of her performance on her practical exam. No, she got an Exceeds Expectations which thrilled Mom and Dad to no end.

Part of it was attending the wake for Aeden, over at Tam’s home in Scotland. It seemed as though Slytherin had taken it on the chin yet again, as yet another of theirs died in a pretty gruesome fashion, except this time it was more than a Housemate, but a fellow Snake. However, what really did it was finding out one of her best friends, and one of the girls she used to play cricket with at her old school was dying at the start of July after taking sick not long after the start of school last year. Brianna kept contact with her as best she could while at Hogwarts, visited her over Christmas break, and she seemed to be on the mend when she saw her again after coming back from school. However, the cancer wasn’t to be denied for long, and Brianna was there with her in hospice when the end came.

Losing a friend that she’d grown up with hurt Brianna more than she could put in words, and then part of her support system, her cat took ill as well. Bubber Hairfoot was seriously ill, and it required magical means to save him from leaving her too. Her big, fluffy, Maine Coon-Neasle crossbreed survived his own brush with death, he was several pounds lighter for it, but he’d yet to fully recover from his illness as the end of the summer came. Much as it pained her, Brianna decided it was better to leave her friend at home, so he’d have the other cats and Barney, dad’s elderly beagle, to keep him company.

During the summer, she invited Csuri to come over, partly to help her train up for next Quidditch season, and partly because she could do with the company. Last season was bad; she’d gone in as the ‘Plan B Vice-Captain’, as she thought of herself, full of hope for a glorious season, and finished it hoping they could just forfeit and deny Gryffindor the sweep. Brianna racked up more goals in matches than she could recall scoring previously, all while managing to avoid trips to Hospital for the most part, but the goals didn’t matter much in the end. Now she was the incoming Captain of the team, she needed to pick her own VC, and hope she could even assemble a squad of her own.

Now, it was time for her to meet the train in London, and things were going pear-shaped there as well. Dad was at a conference with company reps in Germany, while Mom was out of the country on some trip on behalf of St, Mungo’s, and both of them were gone for a couple days already, and wouldn’t return until Brianna was back at Hogwarts. At one point, Brianna was planning to either Floo here or take the Knight Bus, however, Ron was able to rearrange his schedule so he could take her to the train station instead.

You look like you’re dressed for a funeral there, Anna,” commented Ron dryly, as he tried hard to suppress a yawn.. Brianna was wearing a black school jacket with the Hogwarts crest over her usual white school blouse and House tie, a fitted black vest with her Prefect badge, a matching skirt and black shoes. Ron, on the other hand was dressed in a pair of well-worn jeans and a Tutshill Tornados sweatshirt. “You look like Death warmed-over, Ronald,” countered Brianna, as the two of them arrived in one of the large Floo platforms.

Thirty-six hour shift will do that, Anna,” said Ron. Brianna winced, and said, “Ouch. Pretty poor way of thanking you for coming with me to the station.” Ron shrugged, and said, “Had a couple favours to pay off, so its all good. Didn’t want for you to come here all by yourself; pretty crummy way to start off the school year.” Brianna said glumly, “Skipped breakfast, I was feeling so bummed out. There was just the cats to say good-bye to this morning, and Barney, of course.” Ron opened up the courier bag he had hanging off his shoulder, produced a brown paper bag, and passed it over to his younger sister.

What’s this?” asked Brianna. Ron answered, “Uh, lunch…dinner, breakfast maybe? Got it at some point, and didn’t have time to eat. Better that than loading up on sweets off the trolley or waiting until tonight.” Brianna shook her head and chuckled in dismay before asking, “Thanks, but what about you?” Ron said tiredly, “I’ll order in when I get home, then sleep. I got thirty-six off until I need to go back. Curry place ought to be open by now, right?”

You don’t know what time of day it is, do you, Ronald?” she asked him. Ron blinked at her a couple times, and then answered, “I dunno what day of the week it is, let alone the time. Just knew I needed to get you after my shift, and get you to the Hogwarts Express. Bunches of folk around, and the train’s still here, so I’m assuming we made it in good time.” Brianna passed the off the appliance dolly bearing her school trunk and her Quidditch bag to be loaded onto the train, and she looked over at her big brother as a wash of guilt came over her. “Thank you, Ron, I mean it. Go home, get some sleep and try not to splinch yourself partway into something while you’re at it.”

Ron and Brianna hugged each other, though at one point she was pretty sure she was holding him up. Ron said tiredly, “Have a good year, Anna. I’ll come get you for Christmas break, okay?” Brianna sighed, and countered, “We’ll make plans when you’re functioning and not a zombie.” Ron said, “Butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks, Anna?” Brianna laughed, this time with a genuine bit of mirth, and said, “Like always.”

OOC:Open for Interaction
Username

User Image
                  "And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
                  Or the moment of truth in your lies
                  When everything feels like the movies
                  Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive."

"And I don't want the world to see me
                  'Cause, I don't think that they'd understand
                  When everything's made to be broken
                  I just want you to know who I am "

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:44 pm
User Image
Brianna Cathaline Quinn-Smith
SlytherinSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingleSlytherin PrefectDueling Club CaptainQuidditch Captain

Start of Summer 2062

Given how her sixth year at Hogwarts started, Brianna was pretty content with how it was winding up. While she was rather unhappy with the anemic attendance for her Dueling Club, she was pleased to finally have living opponents to play chess against at the newly-created Chess Club. While having the pieces play the game against her was fine, it was hardly a substitute for her AI opponent at home, or matching wits with another like-minded individual.

What really made her happy was seeing her team blossom and claim the Quidditch Cup, especially after the epic drubbing they got last year, when it was she and Karah presiding over what became a slow-motion train wreck of a season. Seeing Csuri attack the role of Seeker and Vice-Captain and triumph gladdened her heart to no end. Brianna hoped Karah could take solace in the thought that the seeds they sowed last year reaped a glorious reward for the Snakes this year. As much as Brianna wanted to accept credit for this year’s sweep, she knew it was a team effort all around; it was something she took great pleasure in acknowledging.

With the season over though the remaining time left in the school year was profusion of days which all seemed to blend together, enough so she barely knew one day from the next. It was a blur of getting assignments finished, studying for exams, taking care of her Prefect duties, and it didn’t stop until the last exam was written, and the Year End Feast was being served.

One thing she took particular care to do, beyond hoping to arrange to have Csuri visit over the summer so they could plot—er, plan out strategies for next season, was to let Tam know if he needed her, even if only to talk, say so, and she would Apparate there immediately. His episode right before the holidays, though she refused to show it, scared the crud out of her; she’d seen enough friends die, and attended enough memorials of late, she didn’t want to attend any more if she could help it. She was also planning to hike to Hogsmeade Station to meet the train back to London, as she didn’t want any part of the psychopomps pulling the carriages now she knew they were there.

Now she was on the train, heading for London, she just wanted to get home and be with her sick cat. Not having Bubber there with her the whole school year was depressing, and after what happened to poor old Barney, she was desperately fearful she’d come home and he wouldn’t be there. It was enough that the elderly beagle wouldn’t be there to greet her, wagging his tail and yelping happily as he danced around her, like he always used to do, without having her big Maine Coon- Neasle crossbreed also absent as well, and not there to rub her leg, purr and beg for treats.

The Sixth Year Slytherin pushed her concerns to the back of her mind, as she needed to stay focused on her patrols on the train, and whatever else was needed of her as a Prefect. After what happened with Linsey the Christmas before last, Brianna made a point of being more attentive of what was going on when she was on the train, not allowing herself to be lulled into a sense of well-being, or routine. She was aware now there were places to hide on the train, which was both asset and problem, depending on the situation. It was too easy for a student to get lost or forgotten, and Brianna was determined not to have it happen on her watch.

Once the train pulled into the station, she paid close attention, watching to see that the students, their various pets and their belongings departed in something approaching an orderly fashion, and they were being greeted by family coming to collect them. She wished her friends a good summer, while taking oppourtunities to look through the windows, hoping to catch sight of her own family. As the train was emptying out, the Sixth Year collected her bag and stepped down onto the platform.

She was immediately in the midst of returning students, wearing school jackets in place of their robes and pointed hats, so they emerge through the portal looking like relatively normal kids returning from a Muggle boarding school. The Sixth Year was wearing a short plaid skirt in Slytherin tartan and black walking shoes, paired with a white dress shirt and school tie, a black vest with her Prefect badge, while she had her school jacket over one shoulder. While she was seeing other students being greeted by family, she was seeing no sign of her own having come to fetch her.

Okay, Mom, where the heck are you?’ she asked silently, as she scanned the platform for any sign of any member of her family. If Mom couldn’t make it, she knew Dad would be on the other side of the portal (if work didn’t prevent him from being there), as he wouldn’t be able to access it himself. Brianna also knew if it came to it, she could use the Floo or take a heart-jolting ride on the Knight Bus. While she had her Apparation license, there was still the little matter of being underaged. Still, as she searched in vain, she scoffed inwardly, ‘Be just my luck, wouldn’t it? I’m the one who gets forgotten.”

After collecting her trunk and broomstick case from the train, both of which were thankfully strapped down onto a heavy-duty appliance dolly, Brianna took another look about the platform. ‘What the heck happened?’ she asked wordlessly, as anger and mounting resentment pulled at her heart, and her eyes swept the area with the intensity of a Seeker searching for a Snitch in the snow. The Sixth Year was about to head towards the portal, and Muggle London, to search for Dad, when she spotted Ron leaning up against a back wall. The way he was pressed against the wall, and his head bowed down, her older brother looked as though he might have been there a while, although Brianna was fairly certain she’d looked over in that direction earlier…. maybe

Ron!” she called out, though as loud and chaotic as the platform was, she was fairly certain her voice wouldn’t carry, and it didn’t sound as though he heard her anyway. Pulling the sturdy two-wheeler behind her with her trunk, Brianna walked over to where she spotted Ron. As she got closer, she saw he was dressed in a set of lime-green scrub pants and an old Hufflepuff Quidditch hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up and his hands tucked into the central pocket. With his head bowed down and the hood pulled forward, it was hard for Brianna to get a good look at him until she was close, and whatever anger she was feeling was immediately replaced by guilt. With the bags under his eyes, he looked worn out, and, in fact, he appeared to be dozing while leaning against the wall for support.

Reaching out, Brianna gently shook his arm, and said softly, “Ron? Ron, are you all right?” As though a switch were flipped, Ron responded with a bit of a start, he blinked a couple times before his eyes focused owlishly upon his little sister. “Um, Anna, hi. Wow, train’s here already….” Brianna sighed, and said, “Train’s been here for a bit, practically unloaded, actually. Was starting to think that …well, never mind that now, you’re here and that’s all that matters to me. Seriously, are you okay? You were sleeping standing up there.”

Just resting my eyes, that’s all, Anna,” said the Apprentice Healer dismissively. “Had to do a bit of horse-trading on the schedule with a couple of the others at the hospital to get this evening off to get you.” Brianna nodded her head, and asked gently, “Uh-huh, and when was the last time you slept, or ate, for that matter?” Ron paused for a moment, and then answered, “I…uh, don’t remember. Not sure what today is, actually. Oh, well, that’s not important, right now.”

Brianna gave her brother a thoughtful look, and said, “Pretty sure Aria would say otherwise, but we won’t go there.” Gone were the days when she would refer to Aria in a teasing fashion; she wasn’t the bratty little sister in Ron’s shadow anymore, desperate for attention. In fact, she was planning to get with Aria over the summer and maybe get her foot in the door at the Obliviators office for after she graduated next year. Any advantage she could get over other possible applicants would pay dividends later. They were walking along the platform, and Ron was leaning heavily against his younger sister as they went along.

Ron chuckled wearily, and said, “Likely so. Uh, there’s a shawarma place that just opened up not far from the hospital, gets a fair bit of foot-traffic, so it must be pretty decent. Been meaning to go in and have a try, you know, when I wasn’t otherwise busy. Sound good to you?” Brianna answered, a bit of plaintiveness in her tone, “Honestly, Ron, I just want to go home and be with my great, big Bubber kitty.” Ron drew a deep breath before replying, “Yeah, about that…

All at once, icy cold despair and pain clutched at Brianna’s heart, and a sob wrenched itself out of her. Looking up at her big brother, she pleaded, “Oh, God, no. Please, Ron, not poor Bubber too, not after Barney….” She couldn’t think about how the faithful old hound curled up and passed away in front of her door with tearing up. Ron gave her hand a gentle squeeze, and said reassuringly, “It’s okay, Anna, he’s fine now. Took us a bit, but we figured out what was going on with him in the first place. Mom and I took turns nursing him back to health. He’s a lot floofier than he used to be, but don’t worry, he’s okay now. Mom’s keeping him and the other two with her.” Knowing they had time to explain things further, Ron didn’t go any further; it was enough for his sister to know Bubber was okay. She’d learn soon enough he was twenty pounds lighter than he was last summer, and seemingly made for the loss of mass with volume of fur.

Thank you, Ron,” said Brianna in a soft, relieved tone, as they passed through the portal and were now in the Muggle area of the huge rail station. As they walked along, she started parsing out what else he told her, and then asked, “Hang on, what do you mean ‘Mom’s keeping him and the other two with her’? Bleedin’ bullocks, Ron, what else is going on here?” Ron told her, “It’s been busy lately. Right now, the house is basically uninhabitable. Last month, there was a small electrical fire. Don’t freak out, nobody was hurt, we didn’t lose any of the animals, and it was dealt with before any real structural damage was done. Old, dodgey wiring was at fault. Anyway, Mom and Dad decided now was the oppourtunity to upgrade the plumbing and the wiring, fixing things that they’ve wanted fixed for years along with some improvements, starting with a home office so Dad can start doing most of his projects without going into the office, and he’d turn his old study over to Mom. The plan was to have it all done before you got home from Hogwarts, you know, be a nice surprise an’ all for you.”

I hear a ‘but’ coming,” said Brianna dryly. Ron nodded, and he sighed, “It’s all gone pear-shaped, Anna. Everything’s behind schedule, costs have shot through the roof, Mom and Dad are furious with the contractors. Mom let into them already, telling them that her daughter was coming home from boarding school and wouldn’t be able to sleep in her own bed. Rate things are going, it won’t all be done until the end of July, I’m guessing.” It took a moment for Brianna to digest what she was told, and she knew that it would change a bunch of things she had planned, but first things first. “Where are Mom and Dad?”

Ron replied, “Well, Dad’s been staying at a suite at AyeZee, they usually have them available for visiting vice-presidents and such. He’s on a business trip in Frankfurt, right now. Mom’s got lodgings at the Leaky Cauldron, since she can keep the cats there, and wouldn’t be a long-term imposition on any of her friends. She’s been staying close to the Quinns lately, since Grandpa Quinn’s been sick.” Brianna then asked the question she dreaded, “Where does that leave me?” Ron said, after a long moment, “Well, you could stay with Dad, but that could be a bit of a bother since he’s out of the country. Stay with Mom and the cats at the Leaky Cauldron. I think Aunt Arabella offered to put you up in the room Mom stayed in when she was our age. Failing that, Aria and I might be able to make up the davenport in the main room at our place…

OOC:Open for Interaction
Username

User Image
                  "And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
                  Or the moment of truth in your lies
                  When everything feels like the movies
                  Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive."

"And I don't want the world to see me
                  'Cause, I don't think that they'd understand
                  When everything's made to be broken
                  I just want you to know who I am "

Graydon Ironshield